    I had a friend says do not buy a UV filter as it will darken the images. I
    have HOYA UV's for my other lenses. He says I should buy a
    sunlight/daylight filter. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Tass, Mar 30, 2008

  2. "Tass" <> wrote in message
    news:HDIHj.7952$rd2.1542@pd7urf3no...
    > I am buying the Canon 28-135 lens and am looking for a filter to protect
    > it. I had a friend says do not buy a UV filter as it will darken the
    > images. I have HOYA UV's for my other lenses. He says I should buy a
    > sunlight/daylight filter. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Personally I only buy a filter if I need to filter something. A lens
    shade is likely a better idea for all but places with stuff like blowing
    sand. However frankly any of those filters are not likely to cause you any
    problems. Most of the issues are all so slight that very few people will
    ever be able to see them. Also I have been in photography for almost 50
    years and I have never heard of a sunlight/daylight filter.

    Don't worry be happy.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Mar 30, 2008

  3. "Tass" <> wrote:
    >I am buying the Canon 28-135 lens and am looking for a filter to protect it.
    >I had a friend says do not buy a UV filter as it will darken the images. I
    >have HOYA UV's for my other lenses. He says I should buy a
    >sunlight/daylight filter. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

    That's a bit more topic than can be handled in a single
    post to Usenet.

    http://dpfwiw.com/filters.htm
    http://www.bythom.com/filters.htm

    The first one is probably the best, as it is aimed
    directly at filters for digital cameras, while Thom
    Hogan is still talking about filters used with film.
    There are some very distinct differences, but perhaps
    reading it with the intent of learning those differences
    is worth doing, just so that in the future you can
    distinguish between the two when random friends or
    Usenet trolls give you short snippets of worthless
    advice... ;-)

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Mar 30, 2008
  4. In article <HDIHj.7952$rd2.1542@pd7urf3no>, "Tass" <>
    wrote:

    > I am buying the Canon 28-135 lens and am looking for a filter to protect it.
    > I had a friend says do not buy a UV filter as it will darken the images. I
    > have HOYA UV's for my other lenses. He says I should buy a
    > sunlight/daylight filter. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

    I have heard of a clear glass "filter" that is just a lense protector.
    Try Adorama.

    I have UV filters on all my lenses except the longest where I keep a
    circular polarizing filter. If your camera has auto exposure any
    "darkening" due to the filter will be compensated for.

    Just remember that the more layers of glass you have on the front of
    your camera the more likely you are to have flare and glare.

    --
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing
    good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good

    Steven Weinberg
    Ockham's Razor, Mar 30, 2008
  5. Ï "Tass" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > I am buying the Canon 28-135 lens and am looking for a filter to protect

    it.
    > I had a friend says do not buy a UV filter as it will darken the images.

    > have HOYA UV's for my other lenses. He says I should buy a
    > sunlight/daylight filter. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

    You should place the filter on something white, like a sheet of paper. A B&W
    UV filter will show pale yellow. A 1A skylight intended for colour
    photography or digital will show pale pink. I don't know if they have
    developed something different in the meanwhile (since I had a SLR...).

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Mar 30, 2008
  6. Tass

    measekite Guest

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

    &Iuml; "Tass" &lt;&gt; &Yacute;&atilde;&ntilde;&aacute;&oslash;&aring; &oacute;&ocirc;&iuml; &igrave;&THORN;&iacute;&otilde;&igrave;&aacute; news:HDIHj.7952$rd2.1542@pd7urf3no...

    I am buying the Canon 28-135 lens and am looking for a filter to protect

    it.

    I had a friend says do not buy a UV filter as it will darken the images.

    have HOYA UV's for my other lenses. He says I should buy a sunlight/daylight filter. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

    You should place the filter on something white, like a sheet of paper. A B&amp;W UV filter will show pale yellow. A 1A skylight intended for colour photography or digital will show pale pink. I don't know if they have developed something different in the meanwhile (since I had a SLR...).

    Then which would be better a skylight 1A or a UV.&nbsp; When looking at a printed image will you really see any difference?

    -- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering mechanized infantry reservist hordad AT otenet DOT gr
    measekite, Mar 30, 2008
  7. On Mar 30, 3:59 am, "Tass" <> wrote:
    > I am buying the Canon 28-135 lens and am looking for a filter to protect it.
    > I had a friend says do not buy a UV filter as it will darken the images. I
    > have HOYA UV's for my other lenses. He says I should buy a
    > sunlight/daylight filter. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

    The terms "daylight" and UV are a bit squishy. Silicon chips are less
    sensitive to UV than most films, so there is not much of an effect due
    to either, but one needs to know the actual spectral transmittance of
    what each filter mfg means by those terms. However, for most, with a
    digicam, the effect is little different than clear glass. By the way,
    I am more familiar with a "skylight" filter than a sunlight or
    daylight filter. Is that the one you mean?
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Mar 30, 2008