    four newsgroups?

    I am certain that most here have seen the ones sent by "MI5-Victim"
    They seem to appear in every newsgroup to which I visit.

    AlanM, Jan 5, 2008

  2. AlanM

    Tony Raven Guest

    In article <>, michael1943
    @comcast.net says...
    > How would one filter out newsgroup messages which are sent to more than
    > four newsgroups?

    Keep TB for what its good at - email - and get a newsreader with cross
    post filtering for Usenet. I use Gravity and haven't seen any MI5
    messages or other crossposted spam since I switched.
    --
    Tony

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
    taken place"
    George Bernard Shaw

    Tony Raven, Jan 5, 2008

  3. Tony Raven wrote:
    > In article <>, michael1943
    > @comcast.net says...
    >> How would one filter out newsgroup messages which are sent to more than
    >> four newsgroups?
    >>

    > Keep TB for what its good at - email - and get a newsreader with cross
    > post filtering for Usenet. I use Gravity and haven't seen any MI5
    > messages or other crossposted spam since I switched.

    That advice is certainly valid, but it simply does not address everyones
    needs. For one thing Gravity is Windows only, which limits it right there.

    Personally I value the ability to read mail, news and rss feeds within
    one application. The last thing i want to to have three separate
    applications for those related purposes. Thunderbird does all three. It
    may not be the best at any of them, but it ranges from excellent for
    mail to serviceable for rss. It works fine for my purposes,

    True, Thunderbird cannot yet filter crossposts, but it can filter all
    the groups on a server. Fortunately, I only see the MI5 stuff on one
    server. The following filter on a server wide basis seems to be
    working, though we will have to wait for the next opening of the
    floodgates to be sure. He has become very clever at getting past filters.

    Set the filter to match all the following:

    Subject begins with M

    Subject contains I

    Subject contains 5

    Subject contains P

    Set the action to mark as read, in order to be able to check for false
    positives. For example, a post with the subject "MI5 Persecution Spam
    Filter" would get marked as read. " Filter for MI5 Persecution Spam"
    would not. So far, so good, but we will see.

    If you are getting the spam on more then one server, it can be copied
    over to other servers pretty easily.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 5, 2008
  4. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >> In article <>, michael1943
    >> @comcast.net says...
    >>> How would one filter out newsgroup messages which are sent to more than
    >>> four newsgroups?
    >>>

    >> Keep TB for what its good at - email - and get a newsreader with cross
    >> post filtering for Usenet. I use Gravity and haven't seen any MI5
    >> messages or other crossposted spam since I switched.

    > That advice is certainly valid, but it simply does not address everyones
    > needs. For one thing Gravity is Windows only, which limits it right there.
    >
    > Personally I value the ability to read mail, news and rss feeds within
    > one application. The last thing i want to to have three separate
    > applications for those related purposes. Thunderbird does all three. It
    > may not be the best at any of them, but it ranges from excellent for
    > mail to serviceable for rss. It works fine for my purposes,
    >
    > True, Thunderbird cannot yet filter crossposts, but it can filter all
    > the groups on a server. Fortunately, I only see the MI5 stuff on one
    > server. The following filter on a server wide basis seems to be
    > working, though we will have to wait for the next opening of the
    > floodgates to be sure. He has become very clever at getting past filters.
    >
    > Set the filter to match all the following:
    >
    > Subject begins with M
    >
    > Subject contains I
    >
    > Subject contains 5
    >
    > Subject contains P
    >
    > Set the action to mark as read, in order to be able to check for false
    > positives. For example, a post with the subject "MI5 Persecution Spam
    > Filter" would get marked as read. " Filter for MI5 Persecution Spam"
    > would not. So far, so good, but we will see.
    >
    > If you are getting the spam on more then one server, it can be copied
    > over to other servers pretty easily.
    >
    > Lee

    on another note: the filters will only work on incoming
    messages, not messages already downloaded.

    Furthermore, if you want to strengthen your MI5 filters,
    then read this excellent thread:
    http://groups.google.com/group/nets...e3703f767f/099bb3c841e51b14?#099bb3c841e51b14

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 5, 2008
  5. AlanM

    Ian Whyte Guest

    AlanM <> wrote in news:07ydnYdqj44KWeLanZ2dnUVZ_g-
    :

    http://xnews.newsguy.com/ I use xnews which I think is great.

    Ian Whyte, Jan 6, 2008
  6. AlanM

    Frank Guest

    Ian Whyte wrote:
    > AlanM <> wrote in news:07ydnYdqj44KWeLanZ2dnUVZ_g-
    > :
    >
    >> How would one filter out newsgroup messages which are sent to more than
    >> four newsgroups?
    >>
    >> I am certain that most here have seen the ones sent by "MI5-Victim"
    >> They seem to appear in every newsgroup to which I visit.

    > http://xnews.newsguy.com/ I use xnews which I think is great.

    MI5 appears dormant for now.

    Have you seen his website:

    http://www.five.org.uk/