    a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
    attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

    , Mar 27, 2008

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
    >a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
    >attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

    My 18-55 AF-S DX Nikkor lens takes a 52MM filter...

    YMMV.

    Claude V. Lucas, Mar 27, 2008

  3. Jer Guest

    wrote:
    > Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
    > a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
    > attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

    Use a bigger hammer. Repeatedly.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Mar 27, 2008
  4. Allen Guest

    Jer wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
    >> a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
    >> attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

    > Use a bigger hammer. Repeatedly.

    On the lens? The filter? His head? His typing hand? All the above?
    Perhaps he should try an 18 mm filter and see if that works. Or read the
    camera specs.
    Allen

    Allen, Mar 27, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Mar 28, 12:55 am, Allen <> wrote:
    > Jer wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >> Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
    > >> a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
    > >> attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

    > > Use a bigger hammer.  Repeatedly.

    > On the lens? The filter? His head? His typing hand? All the above?
    > Perhaps he should try an 18 mm filter and see if that works. Or read the
    > camera specs.
    > Allen

    Anybody besides these tools have an answer.

    , Mar 27, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:13:46 -0700 (PDT), in rec.photo.digital
    "" <> wrote:

    >On Mar 28, 12:55 am, Allen <> wrote:
    >> Jer wrote:

    >> > Use a bigger hammer.  Repeatedly.

    >> On the lens? The filter? His head? His typing hand? All the above?
    >> Perhaps he should try an 18 mm filter and see if that works. Or read the
    >> camera specs.
    >> Allen

    >Anybody besides these tools have an answer.

    As someone else has all ready pointed out. 55mm is the maximum focal length
    of the lens. NOT the dia of the objective.

    If you look at the manual for the lens or the Nikon site for this lens
    http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-N... DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II.html
    Click on the Tech Specs tab.

    You will see the filter and attachment size is 52mm.

    , Mar 27, 2008
  7. "" <> wrote:
    >Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
    >a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
    >attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

    Why did you buy 55mm filters and hood for a lens that has a 52mm filter
    and attachement thread?

    From the tech specs of that that lens:
    Filter Size: 52mm
    Lens Attachment Size: 52mm

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Mar 27, 2008
  8. Jack Guest

    "" <> wrote in news:58ce56de-1f5e-
    :

    > On Mar 28, 12:55 am, Allen <> wrote:

    Your lens requires a 52mm filter, not 55mm.

    Jack, Mar 27, 2008
  9. "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > "" <> wrote in news:58ce56de-1f5e-
    > :

    > Your lens requires a 52mm filter, not 55mm.

    One suggestion so that all your purchased items don't go entirely to waste.
    purchase a 55mm to 52mm filter converter. Be sure to get the converter that
    converts from 55mm filter to a 52mm lens (and not the other way around).
    Then you can leave the converter on the front of the lens and all your
    purchased filters and hoods will work fine.

    I actually did this on purpose. I have two lenses I use regularly with two
    different filter sizes. Instead of purchasing two different sets of common
    use filters I chose the larger filter size of the two lenses, and purchased
    the filters to fit that, and then I got a converter for the smaller filter
    size lens. Thus both lenses now take the same filter size. Works for me
    (make your own decision if this will work for you).

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum, Mar 28, 2008
  10. Roy G Guest

    "Claude V. Lucas" <> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >>Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
    >>a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
    >>attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

    > My 18-55 AF-S DX Nikkor lens takes a 52MM filter...
    >
    > YMMV.

    Why would anyone buy more than one lens hood for any lens, unless it was for
    a very wide range Zoom.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Mar 28, 2008
  11. In article <B%8Hj.20607$>,
    Roy G <> wrote:

    >"Claude V. Lucas" <> wrote in message
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
    >>>a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
    >>>attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

    >> My 18-55 AF-S DX Nikkor lens takes a 52MM filter...
    >>
    >> YMMV.

    >Why would anyone buy more than one lens hood for any lens, unless it was for
    >a very wide range Zoom.

    beats me.

    Claude V. Lucas, Mar 28, 2008