    filter in OE so that I can divert my spam-mail into another folder other
    than my legit emails from my contacts?

    Joe.

    Joe, Oct 23, 2006

  2. Joe

    Mike Easter Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > I use OE6 and am fed up with spam. Is there any way I can set up a
    > mail filter in OE so that I can divert my spam-mail into another
    > folder other than my legit emails from my contacts?

    OE's message rules are too weak. Use SpamPal to label your spam. OE's
    message rules can automove the labeled spam into the Junk folder.

    http://www.spampal.org SpamPal is a mail classification program that
    can help separate your spam from the mail you really want to read. --
    What do I need to use SpamPal? - A standard email program such as
    Outlook, Outlook Express or Eudora. - How does SpamPal work? - Any email
    messages that SpamPal considers to be spam will be "tagged" - you simply
    configure your email client to filter anything with this header into a
    separate folder and your spam won't be mixed up with the rest of your
    email anymore!

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Joe wrote:

    > I use OE6 and am fed up with spam. Is there any way I can set up a
    > mail filter in OE so that I can divert my spam-mail into another
    > folder other than my legit emails from my contacts?

    OE has no way to filter spam. See the adjacent thread with the subject
    "Spam Help".

    I recommended to that user to switch email clients to something modern,
    which has a junk mail filter built into it: Thunderbird

    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

    Mike Easter also posted some good info.

    BTW, I doubt if you are associated with all.com so please do the folks
    that actually own that domain name by not using it to mung your own
    address. Instead use: lid

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 23, 2006
  4. Joe

    JANA Guest

    Most ISP's who provide email services usually have Spam filtering that is
    user configurable. Call your provider to find out if they have such a
    service.

    In OE, it is possible in the mail rules to write up your own filters. You
    can have it delete undesired mail by making routines that filter by subject,
    To, CC, and est.. This is a lot of work to build up lists.

    If your ISP does not provide Spam filtering, it would most likely be best
    for you to purchase a Spam filtering program, and subscribe for the updates.
    This way, you can have it working for you with a minimum amount of time
    spent on your part, other than installing it, and adjusting it to how you
    want it to work.

    Another solution is to change your email address, and then make an alias
    address, or use Yahoo or Hotmail or any of the public email services for
    your emails. They have excellent Spam filtering. If the Spam gets to be too
    much, you can simply get a new address.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Oct 23, 2006
  5. Joe

    Father Mike Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:48:01 GMT, Joe wrote:

    > I use OE6 and am fed up with spam. Is there any way I can set up a mail
    > filter in OE so that I can divert my spam-mail into another folder other
    > than my legit emails from my contacts?
    >
    > Joe.

    You certainly can using message rules. Set up a rule to move e-mail not
    originating from your legitimate contacts into the Deleted Items folder.
    You can glance through the folder to see that nothing vsluable was
    diverted. You can dispense with the checks when you know the rule works
    well.

    That's one good thing about OE, message rules may not be the most powerful,
    but they are easy to use.

    Father Mike, Oct 25, 2006
  6. Joe

    Gordon Guest

    Father Mike wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:48:01 GMT, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> I use OE6 and am fed up with spam. Is there any way I can set up a mail
    >> filter in OE so that I can divert my spam-mail into another folder other
    >> than my legit emails from my contacts?
    >>
    >> Joe.

    > You certainly can using message rules. Set up a rule to move e-mail not
    > originating from your legitimate contacts into the Deleted Items folder.
    > You can glance through the folder to see that nothing vsluable was
    > diverted. You can dispense with the checks when you know the rule works
    > well.
    >
    > That's one good thing about OE, message rules may not be the most
    > powerful, but they are easy to use.

    not in this particular case. AFAIK OE doesn't have a "not in addressbook"
    option for rules - you have to manually insert all the addresses in your
    address book, and you then need to add any address to it that you
    subsequently add to the address book.
    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    to email me invalidate the invalid!