    utilize VLANs, but this requires the rather expensive "Advanced IP
    Services" IOS. Thanks.

    Vincent

    Vincent, Feb 12, 2009

  2. Vincent

    Thrill5 Guest

    "Vincent" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but I am going to ask
    > anyhow (I am a novice). If I have multiple switches plugged into the
    > switch ports on the back of a Cisco 871 router, is it possible to
    > filter the traffic that travels between these two ports? So, all of
    > the computers on this hypothetical network would be on the same
    > subnet, but hosts with IP addresses from 192.168.0.50-192.168.0.100
    > would be accessible from the switch attached to one of the Cisco
    > switch ports and hosts with IP addresses from
    > 192.168.0.101-192.168.0.150 would be accessible from another switch
    > attached to a different switch port on the Cisco router. Can the
    > traffic between these two address ranges be filtered by the Cisco
    > router? I do understand the typical way of doing this would be to
    > utilize VLANs, but this requires the rather expensive "Advanced IP
    > Services" IOS. Thanks.
    >
    > Vincent

    On switchports you can only filter based on MAC addresses, not IP addresses.
    I've never tried to do this on an 871 before, so I don't even know if VACLs
    (switchport ACLs) are supported. Not sure what you call "rather expensive"
    but "Advanced IP Services" for an 871 lists for $150 which, for Cisco, is
    cheap!!!

    Thrill5, Feb 12, 2009

  3. Vincent

    Vincent Guest

    On Feb 12, 1:19 am, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    > "Vincent" <> wrote in message

    > > Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but I am going to ask
    > > anyhow (I am a novice).  If I have multiple switches plugged into the
    > > switch ports on the back of a Cisco 871 router, is it possible to
    > > filter the traffic that travels between these two ports?  So, all of
    > > the computers on this hypothetical network would be on the same
    > > subnet, but hosts with IP addresses from 192.168.0.50-192.168.0.100
    > > would be accessible from the switch attached to one of the Cisco
    > > switch ports and hosts with IP addresses from
    > > 192.168.0.101-192.168.0.150 would be accessible from another switch
    > > attached to a different switch port on the Cisco router.  Can the
    > > traffic between these two address ranges be filtered by the Cisco
    > > router?  I do understand the typical way of doing this would be to
    > > utilize VLANs, but this requires the rather expensive "Advanced IP
    > > Services" IOS.  Thanks.

    > > Vincent

    > On switchports you can only filter based on MAC addresses, not IP addresses.
    > I've never tried to do this on an 871 before, so I don't even know if VACLs
    > (switchport ACLs) are supported.   Not sure what you call "rather expensive"
    > but "Advanced IP Services" for an 871 lists for $150 which, for Cisco, is
    > cheap!!!- Hide quoted text -

    Where are you seeing a price of $150 for this IOS? I thought it was
    over $1,000. Thanks.

    Vincent

    Vincent, Feb 12, 2009
  4. Vincent <> writes:
    >On Feb 12, 1:19=A0am, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    >> "Vincent" <> wrote in message

    >> > Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but I am going to ask
    >> > anyhow (I am a novice). =A0If I have multiple switches plugged into the
    >> > switch ports on the back of a Cisco 871 router, is it possible to
    >> > filter the traffic that travels between these two ports? =A0So, all of
    >> > the computers on this hypothetical network would be on the same
    >> > subnet, but hosts with IP addresses from 192.168.0.50-192.168.0.100
    >> > would be accessible from the switch attached to one of the Cisco
    >> > switch ports and hosts with IP addresses from
    >> > 192.168.0.101-192.168.0.150 would be accessible from another switch
    >> > attached to a different switch port on the Cisco router. =A0Can the
    >> > traffic between these two address ranges be filtered by the Cisco
    >> > router? =A0I do understand the typical way of doing this would be to
    >> > utilize VLANs, but this requires the rather expensive "Advanced IP
    >> > Services" IOS. =A0Thanks.

    >> > Vincent

    >> On switchports you can only filter based on MAC addresses, not IP address=

    >es.
    >> I've never tried to do this on an 871 before, so I don't even know if VAC=

    >Ls
    >> (switchport ACLs) are supported. =A0 Not sure what you call "rather expen=

    >sive"
    >> but "Advanced IP Services" for an 871 lists for $150 which, for Cisco, is
    >> cheap!!!- Hide quoted text -

    >Where are you seeing a price of $150 for this IOS? I thought it was
    >over $1,000. Thanks.

    CDW part # 1004750 for $119.99

    Although you'd probably have to call and talk to them, they list
    'call' instead of 'in stock' like the IP Enterprises part # is listed as.

    Doug McIntyre, Feb 12, 2009