    Any thoughts as to which would be more likely to vignette....... 2 stacked
    52mm filters or 2 55mm filters plus the 52-->55 step up ring?

    Thanks
    cJ, Sep 24, 2006

  2. cJ

    Jim Guest

    "cJ" <> wrote in message
    news:u%wRg.1918$...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Canon S3 with a 52mm front thread. I'm looking to buy a couple
    > of ND filters and have some concerns about vignetting if they are stacked.
    > I'm also considering a telephoto adapter with a 55mm thread, forcing me
    > to get a 52-->55 step up ring.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to which would be more likely to vignette....... 2 stacked
    > 52mm filters or 2 55mm filters plus the 52-->55 step up ring?
    >
    > Thanks

    Stacking 2 52mm filters would be more likely. However, depending on the
    focal length of the lens, there is a possibility that neither combination
    would cause vignetting.
    Jim
    Jim, Sep 24, 2006

  3. cJ

    Rutger Guest

    "cJ" <> schreef in bericht
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Canon S3 with a 52mm front thread. I'm looking to buy a couple
    > of ND filters and have some concerns about vignetting if they are stacked.
    > I'm also considering a telephoto adapter with a 55mm thread, forcing me
    > to get a 52-->55 step up ring.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to which would be more likely to vignette....... 2 stacked
    > 52mm filters or 2 55mm filters plus the 52-->55 step up ring?

    Just try it first usin a hollow tube of paper in front of the lens, mimicing
    the stacked filters.

    Rutger

    --
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager/
    Rutger, Sep 24, 2006
  4. On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:55:22 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "cJ"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a Canon S3 with a 52mm front thread. I'm looking to buy a couple of
    >ND filters and have some concerns about vignetting if they are stacked. I'm
    >also considering a telephoto adapter with a 55mm thread, forcing me to get
    >a 52-->55 step up ring.
    >
    >Any thoughts as to which would be more likely to vignette....... 2 stacked
    >52mm filters or 2 55mm filters plus the 52-->55 step up ring?

    If you go for the converter it's a no brainer, no? Get the step up ring
    with the 55mm filters. Compatible with all, no?
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Sep 25, 2006
  5. cJ <> wrote:
    : Hello,

    : I have a Canon S3 with a 52mm front thread. I'm looking to buy a
    : couple of ND filters and have some concerns about vignetting if they
    : are stacked. I'm also considering a telephoto adapter with a 55mm
    : thread, forcing me to get a 52-->55 step up ring.

    : Any thoughts as to which would be more likely to vignette....... 2
    : stacked 52mm filters or 2 55mm filters plus the 52-->55 step up ring?

    : Thanks

    I do this with my two main lenses. I have a wide angle zoom with a 52mm
    filter thread, and a tele zoom (with lots of overlap) with a 62mm filter.
    By installing a 52-62mm converter I only have to have one set of filters
    that can be used on either lens. By experimenting I have found that I can
    stack up to 3 62mm ND filters on my wide angle zoom and have no vignetting
    even at a focal length of 18mm. Of course since your setup would be a
    change from 52 to 55mm there would be more vignetting at a larger focal
    length, so you would have to explore what your particular limits will be
    with your lenses. So the converting to a larger filter size would add to
    your ability to stack filters without vignetting. But notice that the
    larger the filter size the prices for the filters (most apparent with ND
    filters) goes up drastically. You'll have to balance the best filter size
    for reducing vignetting with price.

    Oh, one other concideration, when you use a filter converter to go with a
    larger filter size you also can no longer use most lens hoods with filters
    as it is impossible to get the hood over the converter and it is nearly
    impossible to install the filter after the hood (without getting finger
    prints and smudges on the filter).

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Sep 25, 2006
  6. cJ wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Canon S3 with a 52mm front thread. I'm looking to buy a couple of
    > ND filters and have some concerns about vignetting if they are stacked. I'm
    > also considering a telephoto adapter with a 55mm thread, forcing me to get
    > a 52-->55 step up ring.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to which would be more likely to vignette....... 2 stacked
    > 52mm filters or 2 55mm filters plus the 52-->55 step up ring?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you DO get vignetting from the stack you can reduce the effect by
    going to aperture priority and forcing a smaller aperture (higher f/#).
    There may be some wide angle focal lengths that will likely vignette
    with ANY filter.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Sep 25, 2006
  7. cJ

    George K Guest

    Look at a square filter system like the Cokin P series. You have a
    square universal filter holder that holds the square or round filters.
    You attach the filter holder to the camera's lens by an adapter ring.

    http://www.geocities.com/cokinfiltersystem/index.htm

    George K, Sep 25, 2006
  8. In article <>, Don
    Stauffer in Minnesota <> wrote:

    > cJ wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a Canon S3 with a 52mm front thread. I'm looking to buy a couple of
    > > ND filters and have some concerns about vignetting if they are stacked. I'm
    > > also considering a telephoto adapter with a 55mm thread, forcing me to get
    > > a 52-->55 step up ring.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts as to which would be more likely to vignette....... 2 stacked
    > > 52mm filters or 2 55mm filters plus the 52-->55 step up ring?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > If you DO get vignetting from the stack you can reduce the effect by
    > going to aperture priority and forcing a smaller aperture (higher f/#).
    > There may be some wide angle focal lengths that will likely vignette
    > with ANY filter.

    Or you could use a Cokin P series system (www.cokin.com) and stack
    filters. The P series is wide enough that you will get no vignetting
    at all on a 52mm system, even with 3 filters stacke... plus the ability
    to slide them around into differing positions, which is highly useful
    for graduated NDs - no longer do you have to move the lens framing to
    get the transition where you want it, you can move the filter and frame
    your scene as you want it (don't forget to use your aperture preview
    mode to see precisely what you are going to get).

    I used Cokin NDs (up to and including their "NDX" which is so dark it
    allows for solar eclipse shots) on my 58's for a long time until I
    moved up to L series glass - now I have to get Pro series (Cokin "Pro"
    is NOT the same as Cokin "P" - they're even larger). eBay has what you
    need, cheap. Search for "Cokin P".
    Ghengis Khan't, Sep 25, 2006
  9. cJ

    JD Guest

    cJ wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Canon S3 with a 52mm front thread. I'm looking to buy a couple of
    > ND filters and have some concerns about vignetting if they are stacked. I'm
    > also considering a telephoto adapter with a 55mm thread, forcing me to get
    > a 52-->55 step up ring.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to which would be more likely to vignette....... 2 stacked
    > 52mm filters or 2 55mm filters plus the 52-->55 step up ring?
    >
    > Thanks

    When you say ND filters, if you mean graduated ND filters you should
    immediately start thinking of a rectangular system. A circular ND
    forces the edge of the filtration to always be in the center of the
    picture, not necessarily where it is needed. I learned that lesson the
    hard (and wasted money) way.

    JD
    JD, Sep 26, 2006