    get involved with film at this point in time.
    Thanks,
    Steve

    Esteban, May 22, 2008

  2. Esteban

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:44:54 -0500, Esteban wrote:

    > Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
    > would someone please provide a link to the site. I have 4 bodys and many
    > lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to get involved with
    > film at this point in time. Thanks,
    > Steve

    search for something like 'digital back' - there used to be a few - quite
    expensive, as I recall.

    ray, May 22, 2008

  3. Esteban

    nospam Guest

    In article <oPlZj.1352$>, Esteban
    <> wrote:

    > Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
    > would someone please provide a link to the site.
    > I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
    > get involved with film at this point in time.

    not really. kodak used to buy canon and nikon bodies and retrofit them
    with their own digital backs, but they were quite expensive. it's much
    cheaper and far more practical to just get a new digital slr. you
    don't say what brand camera, but chances are you can continue to use
    your existing lenses with whatever camera you buy.

    nospam, May 22, 2008
  4. Esteban

    Alan Browne Guest

    Esteban wrote:
    > Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
    > would someone please provide a link to the site.
    > I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
    > get involved with film at this point in time.

    For medium format cameras (and large format) there are several digital
    back vendors, but for the 35mm you're pretty much SOL.

    What brand lenses? If they are AF Minolta, Pentax, Canon lenses then
    you can use their digital bodies with those lenses.

    If they are manual Nikon, you can use their digital bodies with almost
    every Nikkor made (a few exceptions or inconveniences). You can also
    use FujiFilm S2 .. S5 bodies with most Nikkor lenses.

    I believe some Pentax MF lenses can be used on Pentax bodies as well,
    I'm not sure.

    For just about all of the cameras above, early generation (5 - 8 Mpix)
    should be available used for a very good price.

    If your lenses are Olympus, then you're SOL.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, May 23, 2008
  5. Esteban

    nospam Guest

    In article <UXmZj.1719$>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > If they are manual Nikon, you can use their digital bodies with almost
    > every Nikkor made (a few exceptions or inconveniences). You can also
    > use FujiFilm S2 .. S5 bodies with most Nikkor lenses.

    kodak had a few nikon mount cameras too.

    > I believe some Pentax MF lenses can be used on Pentax bodies as well,
    > I'm not sure.

    pentax has one of the most compatible mounts. just about any pentax
    lens will work on a pentax digital body, including screw mount lenses
    (with an adapter).

    > If your lenses are Olympus, then you're SOL.

    there's an adapter for olympus lenses to be used with a 4/3rds camera.

    nospam, May 23, 2008
  6. Esteban

    Alan Browne Guest

    nospam wrote:
    > In article <UXmZj.1719$>, Alan Browne
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> If they are manual Nikon, you can use their digital bodies with almost
    >> every Nikkor made (a few exceptions or inconveniences). You can also
    >> use FujiFilm S2 .. S5 bodies with most Nikkor lenses.

    > kodak had a few nikon mount cameras too.
    >
    >> I believe some Pentax MF lenses can be used on Pentax bodies as well,
    >> I'm not sure.

    > pentax has one of the most compatible mounts. just about any pentax
    > lens will work on a pentax digital body, including screw mount lenses
    > (with an adapter).
    >
    >> If your lenses are Olympus, then you're SOL.

    > there's an adapter for olympus lenses to be used with a 4/3rds camera.

    Thanks for the necessary addendums and clarifications.

    Alan Browne, May 23, 2008
  7. Esteban

    Esteban Guest

    Thanks to all who responded.
    The comments all made sense to me.
    I'll be selling the Konica bodies and keeping the glass.
    Steve

    Esteban, May 23, 2008
  8. "Esteban" <> wrote:
    >Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital?

    Film camera as in movie film or film camera as in plastic film coated
    with chemicals?

    > If so, would someone please provide a link to the site.

    In the very early days there were digital backs for high-end SLRs.
    _Very_ expensive. They still exist and are standard for e.g. Hasselblad
    or Mamiya or similar cameras.

    >I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
    >get involved with film at this point in time.

    Unless those bodies are high-end Hasselblad, Mamiya, or similar your
    best bet would be to get a digital body and just continue to use your
    lenses if they are of decend quality. There have been quite a few
    improvements over the past 10 years.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, May 23, 2008
  9. Esteban

    Tesseract Guest

    Digital and Film give you about the same quality picture so your
    switching to digital is mainly to save money. So don't start down that
    road of spending more money to get into the digital market.
    http://www.hyperphotocube.com/2008/05/11/film-vs-digital.html

    You can use film lenses on digital bodies all the time. I know that
    older pentax, nikon, canon, and Minoltas (On Sony) can be used on
    their present day digital cousins with few exceptions.
    http://www.hyperphotocube.com/2008/04/30/the-noct-nikkor-58mm-112-lens-review.html

    Converting is a wasted effort (and money). Getting a new digital
    camera is going to be better i the long run.
    Plus you can get really good digitals used now a days
    http://www.hyperphotocube.com/2008/05/13/buying-used-camera-bod.html

    Tesseract, May 23, 2008
  10. On May 22, 4:49 pm, ray <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:44:54 -0500, Esteban wrote:
    > > Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
    > > would someone please provide a link to the site. I have 4 bodys and many
    > > lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to get involved with
    > > film at this point in time. Thanks,
    > > Steve

    > search for something like 'digital back' - there used to be a few - quite
    > expensive, as I recall.

    The only ones I know of never actually made it to market (at least the
    35mm ones). To do it custom would cost far more than one can buy a
    good DSLR for. It is a lot of work, lots of electronics not found in
    the film cameras.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, May 23, 2008
  11. Esteban

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>, Don
    Stauffer in Minnesota <> wrote:

    > The only ones I know of never actually made it to market (at least the
    > 35mm ones).

    the only 35mm one i know of was silicon film (or one of its other
    names). there were far too many technical issues that can't really be
    solved for it to actually exist. it made for good headlines though.

    > To do it custom would cost far more than one can buy a
    > good DSLR for. It is a lot of work, lots of electronics not found in
    > the film cameras.

    it's not just electronics that was the obstacle, but also physical
    ones, such as putting a sensor in the space where film was without
    interfering with the shutter.

    nospam, May 23, 2008
  12. Esteban

    ransley Guest

    On May 22, 4:44 pm, "Esteban" <> wrote:
    > Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital?  If so,
    > would someone please provide a link to the site.
    > I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
    > get involved with film at this point in time.
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    You should find out if your lenses are compatible with what ever you
    decide to go with, many are not

    ransley, May 23, 2008
  13. Esteban

    Skratchy Guest

    I bought a couple of Dynax's on Ebay to get started in SLR
    photography, film ones, and when I wanted to upgrade I found that as
    Sony has bought Konica Minoltas camera division any of the Minolta AF
    mount lenses will fit Sony DSLR's as well.

    Skratchy, May 25, 2008