    QUESTION: Is it necessary to scan at 3200 dpi or can I get the same
    results with much lower dpi. If so what is the best dpi to scan without
    loosing any quality in the above situation.
    measekite, Jan 13, 2005

  2. measekite

    VG Guest

    I think you are pushing your luck to expect reasonable quality from a
    heavily cropped image at 11x14.
    I normally attempt to create an image which for a given size, will be
    indicated in Photoshop as having a resolution of around 300dpi. This will
    give pretty good results.
    Consider this. A 35mm negative measures approximately 1.5 inches along its
    widest side. If you scan at 3200dpi,this will produce 4800 dots. If you
    intend to print at 10x8, then divide 4800 by 10, which equals 480, and this
    is the horizontal resolution of your picture as indicated in Photoshop.
    By the time you crop your image, this resolution will have decreased. You
    can see the actual figure in PS by clicking on 'Image/Image Size'. By
    increasing the image size you will see the dpi decrease.
    If you crop your picture to half its original size you will finish up with
    only half the dpi. Therefore to print at 10x8 the dpi would be 240, and for
    an 14x11 it would be 171 (not terribly good)
    I have found, that general speaking you can get away with around 200dpi if
    you are not hyper critical, but the image will not be as sharp.

    I am not totaly clear how image size in PS relates to the dpi of the
    printer, but trust that my earlier comments help.

    V.G.

    "measekite" <> wrote in message
    > I have an Espon 4180 flatbed film scanner that I am happy with. I am
    > scanning Fuji negative film at 24bit - 3200 dpi. I then edit and crop
    > the results in Photoshop. Sometimes I crop a horizontal photo to print
    > as a portrait. In that instance the cropping is severe.
    >
    > I want to be able to print at least as large as 8x10 and occasionally

    11x14.

    VG, Jan 13, 2005