Film Scanners

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stephen, Jul 10, 2009.

  1. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    Looking to replace my current HP S20 film scanner with something that has
    higher quality scans.

    So far have narrowed down the search (within my budget) to either the
    Plustek 7300 or the Plustek 7500i SE. Both have the 7200dpi maximum
    resolution but the difference, apart from price, appears to be that the
    latter one has infrared to help eliminate dust particles and scratches.

    What I'm trying to establish is whether or not the infrared facility to
    remove dust and scratches on the 7500i is worthwhile having in respect of
    the performance in doing this task or is it best just to rely on dealing
    with the dust and scratches manually by software?

    Most of the media that will be scanned is colour transparency film of
    various types (Kodachrome, Agfa, Ektachrome, etc.) but there will be the odd
    colour negative film as well.

    I'd appreciate if anyone with experience of these two film scanners could
    give their opinion of them both negative or positive. Especially any
    experience on the usefulness and performance of the infrared facility on the
    7500i.

    Many thanks.

    Stephen, Jul 10, 2009

  2. Stephen

    nospam Guest

    In article <A0K5m.34057$2>, Stephen
    <> wrote:

    > What I'm trying to establish is whether or not the infrared facility to
    > remove dust and scratches on the 7500i is worthwhile having in respect of
    > the performance in doing this task or is it best just to rely on dealing
    > with the dust and scratches manually by software?

    it very definitely is worth it, although it won't work on all film
    types. you can always turn it off.

    > Most of the media that will be scanned is colour transparency film of
    > various types (Kodachrome, Agfa, Ektachrome, etc.) but there will be the odd
    > colour negative film as well.

    you may have mixed results with kodachrome, but it should work with the
    others. it won't work with traditional b/w film.

    nospam, Jul 10, 2009