Film Scanners

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Folks -

    I've been lurking and have questions about film scanners. My wife
    does graphic design and we've been thinking about getting a negative
    scanner and would like to keep it under 600, if possible. I have a
    number of old 35mm slides and larger format negatives that my dad shot
    back in the paliolithic era and it would be wonderful to "see what's
    there" Most of the negatives are about ~3" square or a little better
    - I am sorry that I don't know the film type. He had an old Leica and
    Roloflex that he did most of his work on.

    I know that you get what you pay for, but I'd like a film scanner than
    can accept more than just 35mm slides and negs - and I need more than
    the hype that's out there.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

    John
    Northern California

    John, Jun 20, 2004

  2. John

    paleryder Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Folks -
    >
    > I've been lurking and have questions about film scanners. My wife
    > does graphic design and we've been thinking about getting a negative
    > scanner and would like to keep it under 600, if possible. I have a
    > number of old 35mm slides and larger format negatives that my dad shot
    > back in the paliolithic era and it would be wonderful to "see what's
    > there" Most of the negatives are about ~3" square or a little better
    > - I am sorry that I don't know the film type. He had an old Leica and
    > Roloflex that he did most of his work on.
    >
    > I know that you get what you pay for, but I'd like a film scanner than
    > can accept more than just 35mm slides and negs - and I need more than
    > the hype that's out there.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

    Take a look at the Canon 9900F. It is a flatbed with a
    film scanning capability up to 4" x 5" and will batch scan 24
    35mm negatives. Less than $400.

    paleryder, Jun 20, 2004

  3. John

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <Vy6Bc.1476$Pa4.245@lakeread04>, paleryder <>
    writes

    >"John" <> wrote in message
    >> Folks -
    >>
    >> I've been lurking and have questions about film scanners. My wife
    >> does graphic design and we've been thinking about getting a negative
    >> scanner and would like to keep it under 600, if possible. I have a
    >> number of old 35mm slides and larger format negatives that my dad shot
    >> back in the paliolithic era and it would be wonderful to "see what's
    >> there" Most of the negatives are about ~3" square or a little better
    >> - I am sorry that I don't know the film type. He had an old Leica and
    >> Roloflex that he did most of his work on.
    >>
    >> I know that you get what you pay for, but I'd like a film scanner than
    >> can accept more than just 35mm slides and negs - and I need more than
    >> the hype that's out there.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

    >Take a look at the Canon 9900F. It is a flatbed with a
    >film scanning capability up to 4" x 5" and will batch scan 24
    >35mm negatives. Less than $400.

    Beware flatbed scanners that claim high optical resolution. Mine
    (Microtek 6800) is optically 2400 x 4800 dpi, but my 2800 dpi neg
    scanner beats it by a mile. The images are just too soft.

    The reason is, I think, is that it has no focus mechanism, so the image
    is a bit blurred at those resolutions. I suspect also that the lens
    system just cannot cope with it, and that there is probably cross-talk
    between adjacent sensor elements. Then you've got the colour matrix
    filter, which may cause further spatial loss. I can get reasonable
    monochrome medium format scans out of it, but 35mm is a joke. Having a
    pickup sensor with 2400 elements per inch doesn't mean you'll get that
    out of it. Ask to see scan outputs before you buy, if you can, or take
    your own test images to a trade show or store and get them scanned to
    disk. Then take the disk home and analyse it.
    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Jun 20, 2004
  4. A decent 3200 dpi, 35mm negative and slide scanner is the Minolta
    (Konica-Minolta) ScanDual IV. Sells for $284.95 at B&H Photo.
    Cite:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci
    =1151

    I have the previous version, and it works quite well.

    Darrell Larose, Jun 21, 2004