    prints made from the scans.

    What scanner would you recommend? What is the price tag of it?

    Sam
    Sam Carleton, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Sam Carleton

    CSM1 Guest

    "Sam Carleton" <> wrote in message
    news:wWieb.42788$...
    > I am looking for a film scanner that will allow me to scan in 35mm
    > through 4x5 negs. Ideally I would like it to be able to do batch
    > scans of a whole roll of 35mm and 120 film.
    >
    > With respect to print size, I will be printing upto 8x10 from the
    > scans on a regular basis and I believe that I will ultimitly be
    > sending the images off to photo labs to have large, over 20x24,
    > prints made from the scans.
    >
    > What scanner would you recommend? What is the price tag of it?
    >
    > Sam

    Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 8000 ED. It is a top-of-the-line scanner that is
    capable of rapidly scanning a variety of film formats, such as 35mm,
    120/220, 16mm, slide glass and even electron microscope - at true 4,000-dpi
    optical resolution.
    http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/news_release/2001/ls-8000.html
    Currently $2,544.99 at Amazon.com.

    For 4X5 you would have go with something like the EPSON Perfection 3200 PRO
    Color Scanner. Amazon.com is pricing at about $541.99.
    Or the Epson Perfection 3200 Photo Flatbed Scanner (not pro) for about $360
    at Amazon.com
    The main difference between the two models is the extra software included
    with the pro version.
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductCategory.jsp
    is a good place to start searching Epson.com for flatbed scanners.

    There may be commerical scanners that can scan 4X5 sheets that are not
    flatbed, but I have no knowledge or experence with them.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Sam Carleton

    Kay Guest

    Polaroid Sprintscan 45 Ultra can do 35mm thru 4x5 at 2500 dpi, it's around
    $4500. 2500 dpi will give acceptable 8x10 from 35mm, no issue for the
    larger formats. KODAK PROFESSIONAL HR Universal Film Scanner is even more
    capable and accepts carousels and long rolls, but it is in the $30K+ arena.

    Kay, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Sam Carleton

    Ben T. Cohen Guest

    Sam Carleton <> wrote in message news:<wWieb.42788$>...
    > I am looking for a film scanner that will allow me to scan in 35mm
    > through 4x5 negs. Ideally I would like it to be able to do batch
    > scans of a whole roll of 35mm and 120 film.
    >
    > With respect to print size, I will be printing upto 8x10 from the
    > scans on a regular basis and I believe that I will ultimitly be
    > sending the images off to photo labs to have large, over 20x24,
    > prints made from the scans.
    >
    > What scanner would you recommend? What is the price tag of it?
    >
    > Sam

    Why don't you go and buy a digital film back for a nice medium format
    camera and stop scanning. The results of scanning will always produce
    grain. I hate cheap assholes like you who are always trying to save a
    buck.
    Ben T. Cohen, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Sam Carleton

    Sam Carleton Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 at 02:59 GMT, Ben T. Cohen wrote:
    > Sam Carleton wrote...
    >> I am looking for a film scanner that will allow me to scan in
    >> 35mm through 4x5 negs. Ideally I would like it to be able to do
    >> batch scans of a whole roll of 35mm and 120 film.
    >>
    >> With respect to print size, I will be printing upto 8x10 from the
    >> scans on a regular basis and I believe that I will ultimitly be
    >> sending the images off to photo labs to have large, over 20x24,
    >> prints made from the scans.
    >>
    >> What scanner would you recommend? What is the price tag of it?
    >>
    >> Sam

    > Why don't you go and buy a digital film back for a nice medium
    > format camera and stop scanning. The results of scanning will
    > always produce grain. I hate cheap assholes like you who are
    > always trying to save a buck.

    Ben,

    You had your chance to tell the world what you hate, I guess it is my
    turn to tell the world want I hate...

    I hate, how did you put it? Oh, I see..., assholes like you that assume
    the answer to everything is digital. I hate assholes like you that
    think that those that are still shooting film are too cheap to upgrade
    to digital. I hate assholes like you that think that there is only one
    right way to take pictures.

    Did you ever consider the fact that the optics on a digital camera are
    different then on a film camera? For now, let us compare the
    differences between a DSLR that has a cropping factor of 2/3 (1.5x) and
    a film camera equivalent:

    * My 18mm is no longer an ultra wide angle lens, now is it?
    * My 105mm is no longer the perfect portrait lens when shooting in
    the studio, unless you have the space to shoot with the equivalent
    of a 157.5mm lens.

    Let us compare your suggestion of shooting with a medium format camera
    with a digital back:

    * Where exactly do I go to find a lens that is an f/4 and equivalent
    to a 600mm lens on a 35mm film camera to shoot sports and wild
    life?
    * Where exactly do I go to find a lens that is an f/2 and equivalent
    to a 105mm lens on a 35mm film camera to shoot portraits and
    sports?
    * Where exactly do I go to find a lens that is an f/2 and equivalent
    to a 35mm lens on a 35mm film camera to shoot candid pictures of
    my family?
    * How exactly do I get 6+ frames per second with an ASA of 1600 to
    shoot in low light situations?

    This is only the beginning of the list. There are HUGE differences
    between digital and film. There will those of us that will see value in
    film for years and years to come, not because we are cheap, but because
    we see that film gives us options different then digital.

    On the note of cheap, I am considering the Nikon Coolscan 8000, a $2500
    unit. It would be much, much cheaper in the long run to get the Nikon
    D2H when it comes out for around $3200, but I want the scanner because I
    prefer shooting with the lens I currently own for my 35mm camera,
    Hasselblad, and 4x5 camera. It is simply my preference.

    Sam
    Sam Carleton, Oct 1, 2003
  6. Sam Carleton

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:20:56 GMT, Sam Carleton
    <> wrote:

    >On the note of cheap, I am considering the Nikon Coolscan 8000, a $2500
    >unit. It would be much, much cheaper in the long run to get the Nikon
    >D2H when it comes out for around $3200, but I want the scanner because I
    >prefer shooting with the lens I currently own for my 35mm camera,
    >Hasselblad, and 4x5 camera. It is simply my preference.

    The LS-8000 is a fine film scanner but won't help you with
    your 4x5 slides and negatives.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Oct 1, 2003
  7. No brainer - get an Imacon 848. $19,000.

    Bruce MacNeil, Oct 1, 2003
  8. Sam Carleton

    Kay Guest

    Ben's on my kill filter