Film scanners anyone?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Russell, Jan 6, 2008.

  1. Mike Russell

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Ted Gibson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
    > Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
    > still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
    > with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
    > card. I hate to just 'toss' it...

    It's definitely worth something. Take the plunge and sell it on eBay.

    --
    Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

    Ted Gibson, Jan 6, 2008

  3. Mike Russell

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Ted Gibson" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
    > Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
    > still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
    > with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
    > card. I hate to just 'toss' it...
    >
    > Ted

    Where are you located?

    Rudy Benner, Jan 6, 2008
  4. Mike Russell

    Ted Gibson Guest

    Central Florida...

    Ted Gibson, Jan 6, 2008
  5. Mike Russell

    Ali Guest

    I still use a film scanner. Put it on EBay, you maybe surprised.

    Ali, Jan 6, 2008
  6. Mike Russell

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 18:38:41 -0500, Ted Gibson
    <> wrote:

    >Central Florida...
    >>
    >>"Ted Gibson" <> wrote in message
    >>> Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
    >>> Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
    >>> still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
    >>> with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
    >>> card. I hate to just 'toss' it...
    >>>
    >>> Ted

    >>Where are you located?

    Damn. Wish you would have posted this sooner.

    I recently ordered this:
    http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74083.asp?promo=homepage
    It's on backorder.

    I plan to use it to scan my slides and then re-sell it on eBay. Dunno
    how good it is, but I have Photoshop 7 and can tweak the resulting
    images. Once I'm done with the project, I'll have no further use for
    it.

    I was going to buy a scanner with slide copying ability, but I have a
    good scanner and re-selling a scanner is a problem. Shipping it would
    be a bear.

    Drop me an email, and if H-M doesn't come through maybe we can work
    something out. I guess you're near Orlando.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jan 7, 2008
  7. Mike Russell

    Ted Gibson Guest

    Ted Gibson, Jan 7, 2008
  8. Mike Russell

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 21:39:23 -0500, Ted Gibson
    <> wrote:

    >Tony,
    >I'm actually up in Ocala. If you want, e-mail me
    >() and I can tell you a bit more about this
    >scanner.
    >Ted
    >
    >On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:49:03 -0500, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74083.asp?promo=homepage

    Done.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jan 7, 2008
  9. Mike Russell

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Ali" <> wrote

    >I still use a film scanner. Put it on EBay, you maybe surprised.

    I'm sure Ted intended to, and it would fetch enough to be worth the effort.
    He and I have been email buddies for years, and I suggested he post here but
    not to publicise an eBay auction, as it might lead to a Spam complaint.

    However, it looks like he and Tony Cooper might come to some arrangement,
    and that is good to see - both parties win. RPD is good like that!

    Incidentally, Ted *gave* me his old Nikon LS1000 scanner some years ago, and
    I have always been grateful for that. From memory, the postage to Australia
    was around $35 US.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jan 7, 2008
  10. Paul Bartram wrote:
    > "Ali" <> wrote
    >
    >> I still use a film scanner. Put it on EBay, you maybe surprised.

    > I'm sure Ted intended to, and it would fetch enough to be worth the
    > effort. He and I have been email buddies for years, and I suggested
    > he post here but not to publicise an eBay auction, as it might lead
    > to a Spam complaint.
    >
    > However, it looks like he and Tony Cooper might come to some
    > arrangement, and that is good to see - both parties win. RPD is good
    > like that!
    >
    > Incidentally, Ted *gave* me his old Nikon LS1000 scanner some years
    > ago, and I have always been grateful for that. From memory, the
    > postage to Australia was around $35 US.
    >
    > Paul

    The replies tell you a lot.

    There are literally thousands of photographers with slides and negatives
    taken in the fifties and sixties who want to digitise them.

    Put it on E-Bay, but not before you have used E-Bay to find out what such
    devices are fetching, you will be pleasantly surprised! Some of the better
    film scanners fetch over $1000.

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Jan 7, 2008
  11. In article <>,
    Ted Gibson <> wrote:

    > Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
    > Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
    > still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
    > with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
    > card. I hate to just 'toss' it...

    The SCSI connection might make it less useful in these days of USB 2 and
    Firewire, but there may be someone out there who still has a SCSI portal
    computer.

    But, don't be too quick to get rid of it. About two months ago after I
    thought I had scanned all the old slides and film strips my wife found a
    box of still more negatives and slides that we "needed" to scan. I had
    to get mine back from my son in law.

    I once had a neighbor offer to rent it from me but that never came to
    anything.

    --
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing
    good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good

    Steven Weinberg

    Ockham's Razor, Jan 7, 2008
  12. Mike Russell

    Guest

    On Jan 7, 7:21 am, Ockham's Razor <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >  Ted Gibson <> wrote:
    >

    > The SCSI connection might make it less useful in these days of USB 2 and
    > Firewire, but there may be someone out there who still has a SCSI portal
    > computer.

    I bought an Adaptec 2930CU (?) scsi pci card off ebay about a year(?)
    ago to support my old Minolta Dimage slide scanner. One might be able
    to buy the cards new, I'm just cheap.

    Will

    , Jan 7, 2008
  13. Mike Russell

    Ted Gibson Guest

    That's the same card that I used & it works just fine plus not as
    expensive as the Adaptec 2940!
    Ted

    Ted Gibson, Jan 7, 2008
  14. Mike Russell

    Ted Gibson Guest

    Thanks, Dennis. I think I might have a person interested in this
    scanner, but if not I'll certainly consider eBay.

    Ted

    Ted Gibson, Jan 8, 2008
  15. Mike Russell

    Ted Gibson Guest

    Tony, I got your e-mail but my reply was returned as undeliverable.
    Please let me know a good e-mail address to reply to - OR - check your
    settings to make sure my e-mail's aren't being blocked...
    Thanks.
    Ted

    Ted Gibson, Jan 8, 2008
  16. Mike Russell

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:56:23 -0500, Ted Gibson
    <> wrote:

    >Tony, I got your e-mail but my reply was returned as undeliverable.
    >Please let me know a good e-mail address to reply to - OR - check your
    >settings to make sure my e-mail's aren't being blocked...
    >Thanks.
    >Ted

    tony_cooper213 _at_earthlink.net is a valid address, and I have no
    blocks set up. You can also use aboncoop_at_yahoo.com, but I don't
    read that mail unless I know something's coming. I'll check Yahoo in
    the next few days, but the earthlink addy should be good.

    Replace the _at_ with @, but you knew that.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jan 8, 2008