    second hand on e-bay or what seems the only reasonably priced new Plustek
    Optic Film 7200i which gets remarkably varied reviews. Is it like the
    digital camera market, where 2 year old technology is obsolete? Ideas?

    JohnM, Sep 24, 2006

  2. JohnM

    jeremy Guest

    "JohnM" <> wrote in message
    news:ef543c$jf7$1$...
    >I have lots of 35mm slides ... some lovely pictures often used to stunning
    >effect in my school assemblies. I want to be able to stop using the noisy
    >old projector and put together powerpoint ... I do want quality .. but I'm
    >no prefessional so can't spend the earth. I'm torn between looking for
    >second hand on e-bay or what seems the only reasonably priced new Plustek
    >Optic Film 7200i which gets remarkably varied reviews. Is it like the
    >digital camera market, where 2 year old technology is obsolete? Ideas?

    1: Don't even consider one that does not have Digital ICE3, to remove dust
    spots and to correct for faded colors. Believe me, you will save many hours
    of work from not having to clean up every image in your editing software.

    2: The Kodak Photo CD, which is now discontinued, scanned at 2048 x 3072 and
    I believe it had a DMAX of 2.2. You can get a Pacific Image PF3650 Pro from
    Amazon in the $350 range, and it scans at a true optical resolution of 3600
    x 3600, has a DMAX of 3.6, and has Digital ICE3. I believe that this model
    is the most economical one that has this feature set. Here is a review:

    http://www2.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=13&id=868

    Its major flaw is that it is slow. If you can live with slow scan speeds
    this model probably offers the best bang for the buck.

    jeremy, Sep 24, 2006

  3. JohnM

    JohnM Guest

    Thanks
    Review looks good, but don't seem to be able to find it in UK

    JohnM, Sep 24, 2006
  4. JohnM

    Phil Martin Guest

    I would certainly second the comments made about needing ICE - I now could
    not envisage using the clone tool to remove all the dust and scratches as I
    did with my first scanner the HP S20. I now have the Minolta Scan Elite 5400
    and am highly satisfied overall and especially pleased with the
    labour-saving ICE feature. Some people have issues with clipping which
    occurs using the Dimage scan software and advocate alternatives - I have not
    found this to be necessary though.
    Minolta and Nikon scanners have good reputations but I am not sure about
    second hand purchases sorry.............Phil Martin

    Phil Martin, Sep 24, 2006
  5. JohnM

    tomm42 Guest

    JohnM wrote:
    > I have lots of 35mm slides ... some lovely pictures often used to stunning
    > effect in my school assemblies. I want to be able to stop using the noisy
    > old projector and put together powerpoint ... I do want quality .. but I'm
    > no prefessional so can't spend the earth. I'm torn between looking for
    > second hand on e-bay or what seems the only reasonably priced new Plustek
    > Optic Film 7200i which gets remarkably varied reviews. Is it like the
    > digital camera market, where 2 year old technology is obsolete? Ideas?

    A few things,
    Buying scanners on Ebay is fraught with difficulties, shipping is the
    main one, good scanners are heavy things and don't ship real well,
    unless you are willing to pay for professional packing,
    Good used scanners are often SCSI based, this can be a problem if you
    don't have a SCSI card installed, or have a late model Mac. The worst
    setup is a parallel based scanner or a USB1 scanner. You want a USB 2
    based unit.
    I do a lot of PowerPoint scanning and you want to keep the file size
    below 5 mb prefferably if there are a lot of images below 2mb. I use
    8x10 x100ppi as the standard file. I have noticed that scanning a
    little larger and shrinking the file down makes a better image than
    scanning directly at 800ppi (for 8X10 x100ppi). So I scan at 1200ppi.
    The scanner I am currently using is an Epson V700, does a great job.
    Currently the best of the flatbeds for doing slides. Compares very well
    with my older Nikon LS2000 and is a much faster scanner. I'm sure
    current slide scanner are better, but for getting slides into a
    PowerPoint presentation and have them look sharp and clean it does a
    good job. !2 slides at a time too.

    Tom

    tomm42, Sep 24, 2006
  6. JohnM

    Marvin Guest

    JohnM wrote:
    > I have lots of 35mm slides ... some lovely pictures often used to stunning
    > effect in my school assemblies. I want to be able to stop using the noisy
    > old projector and put together powerpoint ... I do want quality .. but I'm
    > no prefessional so can't spend the earth. I'm torn between looking for
    > second hand on e-bay or what seems the only reasonably priced new Plustek
    > Optic Film 7200i which gets remarkably varied reviews. Is it like the
    > digital camera market, where 2 year old technology is obsolete? Ideas?

    Many scanners, even inexpensive ones, can scan slides. I
    bought an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo earlier this year for
    under $100. It scans 35 mm slides and film, and has
    software to do the basic cleanup operations. You don't need
    to scan the slides at the highest resolution to make an
    image for Powerpoint. Digital projectors rarely have higher
    resolution than a computer monitor set at SVGA.

    Marvin, Sep 24, 2006
  7. JohnM

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "JohnM" <> wrote in message
    >I have lots of 35mm slides ... some lovely pictures often used to stunning
    >effect in my school assemblies. I want to be able to stop using the noisy
    >old projector and put together powerpoint ... I do want quality .. but I'm
    >no prefessional so can't spend the earth. I'm torn between looking for
    >second hand on e-bay or what seems the only reasonably priced new Plustek
    >Optic Film 7200i which gets remarkably varied reviews. Is it like the
    >digital camera market, where 2 year old technology is obsolete? Ideas?

    If it's a one-shot batch of slides, have a lab do it.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Sep 24, 2006
  8. JohnM

    jeremy Guest

    "JohnM" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks
    > Review looks good, but don't seem to be able to find it in UK

    I believe that it goes under the brand name "Reflecta" in the EU.

    jeremy, Sep 25, 2006