    Anyone have a good suggestion?

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 9, 2012

  2. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Sandman
    <> wrote:

    > Anyone here know of a current good film scanner (i.e. not flatbed
    > scanner) for medium format negatives? It should be fully compatible
    > with Mac OS X lion of course.
    >
    > Anyone have a good suggestion?

    nikon coolscan 8000. it ain't cheap.

    nospam, May 9, 2012

  3. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <090520120301361793%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > In article <>, Sandman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone here know of a current good film scanner (i.e. not flatbed
    > > scanner) for medium format negatives? It should be fully compatible
    > > with Mac OS X lion of course.
    > >
    > > Anyone have a good suggestion?

    > nikon coolscan 8000. it ain't cheap.

    And not current either, it seems. It's found in the Product Archive on
    their site. What would you replace it with, then? Hmmm

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 9, 2012
  4. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Sandman
    <> wrote:

    > > > Anyone here know of a current good film scanner (i.e. not flatbed
    > > > scanner) for medium format negatives? It should be fully compatible
    > > > with Mac OS X lion of course.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone have a good suggestion?

    > > nikon coolscan 8000. it ain't cheap.

    > And not current either, it seems. It's found in the Product Archive on
    > their site. What would you replace it with, then? Hmmm

    actually, i forgot about the coolscan 9000 which replaced the 8000, but
    it doesn't really matter since as far as i know, nikon no longer makes
    any scanners. maybe try to find one used.

    nospam, May 9, 2012
  5. Sandman <> writes:

    > Anyone here know of a current good film scanner (i.e. not flatbed
    > scanner) for medium format negatives? It should be fully compatible
    > with Mac OS X lion of course.
    >
    > Anyone have a good suggestion?

    I think all the scanners have fallen behind the current generation of
    Mac OS. They have with Windows, though they can sometimes be hacked to
    install (they run fine). Lots of people are now using VueScan because
    of that.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 9, 2012
  6. Sandman

    Bruce Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    >Sandman <> writes:
    >> Anyone here know of a current good film scanner (i.e. not flatbed
    >> scanner) for medium format negatives? It should be fully compatible
    >> with Mac OS X lion of course.
    >>
    >> Anyone have a good suggestion?

    >I think all the scanners have fallen behind the current generation of
    >Mac OS. They have with Windows, though they can sometimes be hacked to
    >install (they run fine). Lots of people are now using VueScan because
    >of that.

    The simplest solution is surely to install Windows on the Mac.

    Bruce, May 9, 2012
  7. Sandman

    Nick Fotis Guest

    On 09/05/2012 12:38, Sandman wrote:
    > Anyone here know of a current good film scanner (i.e. not flatbed
    > scanner) for medium format negatives? It should be fully compatible
    > with Mac OS X lion of course.
    >
    > Anyone have a good suggestion?

    I am pretty satisfied with my Epson V500 (practically very good scans at
    2400 DPI). It can also scan regular documents, printed photos and 135
    film (you can scan up to 6x17 format or so with the V500).

    If you need better resolution, I would suggest the V700, with a
    practical resolution of 3200 DPI (more than that for medium format is
    overkill). This model can also scan double the amount of film strips and
    large format negatives/slides.

    I do not know if these scanners have software suitable for OS X Lion (I
    am using an XP laptop plus an external monitor), but I think that you
    can check with their site (if I remember correctly, they include CDs
    with Mac software)
    At worst, you could download and try Vuescan for Mac.

    Cheers,
    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, May 9, 2012
  8. Sandman

    Nick Fotis Guest

    Forgot to say that you will need lots of memory and hard disk when
    working with the large files that result from scanning medium format.

    I had to fill my Thinkpad T60 laptop with 3 GB RAM (maximum amount due
    to old Intel chipset) in order to be able to handle these large TIFF
    files with GIMP.

    Cheers,
    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, May 9, 2012
  9. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce <> wrote:

    > David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    > >Sandman <> writes:
    > >> Anyone here know of a current good film scanner (i.e. not flatbed
    > >> scanner) for medium format negatives? It should be fully compatible
    > >> with Mac OS X lion of course.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone have a good suggestion?

    > >I think all the scanners have fallen behind the current generation of
    > >Mac OS. They have with Windows, though they can sometimes be hacked to
    > >install (they run fine). Lots of people are now using VueScan because
    > >of that.

    > The simplest solution is surely to install Windows on the Mac.

    While I have no problem to time travel back in time to use a analog
    Mamiya MF camera - I don't want to travel back in time to use Windows
    on my modern computer :-D

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 9, 2012
  10. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <joe72f$25e4$>,
    Nick Fotis <> wrote:

    > On 09/05/2012 12:38, Sandman wrote:
    > > Anyone here know of a current good film scanner (i.e. not flatbed
    > > scanner) for medium format negatives? It should be fully compatible
    > > with Mac OS X lion of course.
    > >
    > > Anyone have a good suggestion?
    > >

    > I am pretty satisfied with my Epson V500 (practically very good scans at
    > 2400 DPI). It can also scan regular documents, printed photos and 135
    > film (you can scan up to 6x17 format or so with the V500).
    >
    > If you need better resolution, I would suggest the V700, with a
    > practical resolution of 3200 DPI (more than that for medium format is
    > overkill). This model can also scan double the amount of film strips and
    > large format negatives/slides.
    >
    > I do not know if these scanners have software suitable for OS X Lion (I
    > am using an XP laptop plus an external monitor), but I think that you
    > can check with their site (if I remember correctly, they include CDs
    > with Mac software)
    > At worst, you could download and try Vuescan for Mac.

    I've looked at the V700, thanks for your suggestion, maybe I'll buy
    one just to test it, it's quite cheap, so...

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 9, 2012
  11. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <CBD02774.8706E%>,
    George Kerby <> wrote:

    > On 5/9/12 12:01 PM, in article ,
    > "Sandman" <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Bruce <> wrote:

    > >> The simplest solution is surely to install Windows on the Mac.

    > > While I have no problem to time travel back in time to use a analog
    > > Mamiya MF camera - I don't want to travel back in time to use Windows
    > > on my modern computer :-D
    > >

    > ;-)
    >
    > See my post above.

    Yeah, if there's a compatibility issue I'll try Vuescan first and my
    office PC next, it'll sort out somehow :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 9, 2012
  12. Sandman

    Nick Fotis Guest

    On 09/05/2012 20:02, Sandman wrote:
    > I've looked at the V700, thanks for your suggestion, maybe I'll buy
    > one just to test it, it's quite cheap, so...

    Forgot yet another suggestion:
    If you have problematic (too curvy) slides/negatives, you might want to
    buy a set of glass carrier for your scanner.

    I have bought a set of MF and 135mm anti-Newton glass carriers for my
    V500 from http://www.betterscanning.com/
    They have also carriers for the V700, between other scanners.

    Regards,
    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, May 10, 2012
  13. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, David Dyer-Bennet
    <> wrote:

    > > Anyone here know of a current good film scanner (i.e. not flatbed
    > > scanner) for medium format negatives? It should be fully compatible
    > > with Mac OS X lion of course.
    > >
    > > Anyone have a good suggestion?

    > I think all the scanners have fallen behind the current generation of
    > Mac OS.

    you think wrong. you don't have a mac, so how would you even know what
    exists or not??

    scanner software works just fine in the latest mac os x.

    > They have with Windows, though they can sometimes be hacked to
    > install (they run fine).

    bummer. maybe it's time to get a mac. :)

    > Lots of people are now using VueScan because
    > of that.

    people use vuescan because it's very good and much better than the
    bundled crap that comes with the scanner as well as more expensive
    dedicated scanner software.

    nospam, May 10, 2012
  14. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > The simplest solution is surely to install Windows on the Mac.

    not only is it *not* the simplest solution, but it's a very stupid one.

    why would anyone install windows (which isn't free) just to run windows
    scanner software when mac native scanner software exists, and in some
    cases, it's exactly the same software as what would be installed under
    windows (e.g., vuescan)??

    seriously, wtf?

    nospam, May 10, 2012
  15. nospam <> writes:

    > In article <>, David Dyer-Bennet
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> > Anyone here know of a current good film scanner (i.e. not flatbed
    >> > scanner) for medium format negatives? It should be fully compatible
    >> > with Mac OS X lion of course.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone have a good suggestion?

    >> I think all the scanners have fallen behind the current generation of
    >> Mac OS.

    > you think wrong. you don't have a mac, so how would you even know what
    > exists or not??

    Lots of the other photographers I'm in newsgroups and on mailing lists
    with use Macs, and they talk about their driver woes.

    > scanner software works just fine in the latest mac os x.

    This is incorrect according to for example
    <http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13759/nikon-scan>

    >> They have with Windows, though they can sometimes be hacked to
    >> install (they run fine).

    > bummer. maybe it's time to get a mac. :)

    You've got that backwards; it can be hacked to work on current windows,
    it doesn't work on current Mac at all.

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 10, 2012
  16. Sandman

    Bruce Guest

    >My desktop Intel Mac runs OSX 10.6.8, or "Snow Leopard" to those who
    >need a kitty cat name for their OS.

    You think "Snow Leopard" is a bad name?

    I just upgraded my smartphone's OS to "Ice Cream Sandwich". ;-)

    Bruce, May 10, 2012
  17. Sandman

    <> wrote:

    > >> I think all the scanners have fallen behind the current generation of
    > >> Mac OS.

    > > you think wrong. you don't have a mac, so how would you even know what
    > > exists or not??

    > Lots of the other photographers I'm in newsgroups and on mailing lists
    > with use Macs, and they talk about their driver woes.

    there are people who have windows and talk about their driver woes too.

    the reality is that scanners work just fine on macs. maybe not every
    single scanner ever made, but neither does every scanner work on
    windows either.

    > > scanner software works just fine in the latest mac os x.

    > This is incorrect according to for example
    > <http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13759/nikon-scan>

    that's just *one* particular app, and it doesn't work with windows
    either.

    <http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16811/sort/4,2/r_id
    /116678>

    The use of Nikon Scan software with Windows 7 (any version), or Mac
    OS 10.5.x or later,  or any 64- bit operating system (including
    64-bit, 32-bit or Compatibility mode) is not supported.

    that does not mean *all* other scanner software for the mac will not
    work. not only that, but nikon scan wasn't all that good anyway.

    there is other scanner software that works just fine on the mac,
    including on the latest 10.7/lion, such as vuescan and silverfast.

    > >> They have with Windows, though they can sometimes be hacked to
    > >> install (they run fine).

    > > bummer. maybe it's time to get a mac. :)

    > You've got that backwards; it can be hacked to work on current windows,
    > it doesn't work on current Mac at all.

    'it', being nikonscan. as i said, that's just one app and there are
    alternatives.

    nospam, May 10, 2012
  18. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <2012051008210475249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > My desktop Intel Mac runs OSX 10.6.8, or "Snow Leopard" to those who
    > need a kitty cat name for their OS. I cannot even get my old Canon
    > scanner to be recognized by that Mac. All my scanning is done using my
    > Macbook Pro.

    which scanner is it? what version of os x does your macbook pro run?
    have you tried vuescan?

    nospam, May 10, 2012
  19. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <CBD18980.87119%>, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    > Really? Then what would you suggest for a Nikon CoolScan 9000 that has been
    > gathering dust for the past 6 - 7 years? I would really like to resume my
    > 120 and 35mm transparency scanning!

    vuescan

    <http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#nikon>

    nospam, May 10, 2012
  20. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <2012051013321443658-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > >> My desktop Intel Mac runs OSX 10.6.8, or "Snow Leopard" to those who
    > >> need a kitty cat name for their OS. I cannot even get my old Canon
    > >> scanner to be recognized by that Mac. All my scanning is done using my
    > >> Macbook Pro.

    > > which scanner is it?

    > Canon LiDe 80. It does all I need it to do. My scanning needs are
    > minimal, and while it would be nice to have it work with my iMac, for
    > now I just do the work around by using my Macbook Pro.
    >
    > > what version of os x does your macbook pro run?

    > OSX 10.5.8
    >
    > > have you tried vuescan?

    > Yes, but my iMac (3.6 GHz Core i5 + 8GB 1333MHz DDR3) running OSX
    > 10.6.8 doesn't even recognized the LiDe 80. If the need truly arises I
    > might consider some sort of scanner upgrade. Until then...

    <http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/canon_lide_80.html>

    On Mac OS X prior to Lion, you need to use VueScan x32 with Rosetta.

    this may also help:
    <http://macdiddy.com/archives/148>

    nospam, May 10, 2012