    sentence.

    ...."

    http://www.onfilm.co.nz/editable/DigiFeature.pdf
    Mark Robinson, Aug 24, 2007

  2. Mark Robinson wrote:
    > "Late March 2007: three Americans attempt to leave the USA carrying two
    > top secret devices codenamed "Boris" and "Natasha". Customs apprehend
    > one at the border, but the others escape in a private jet to the South
    > Pacific where an eccentric millionaire with an arsenal of WWI weapons
    > awaits their arrival, eager to lay his hand on the "Mysterium" chip ...
    >
    > Although this sounds like a James Bond plot, it's actually a pretty
    > accurate (if melodramatically phrased) description of the real events.
    >
    > The imminent release of the RED ONE camera will herald, many believe, a
    > new way of making films and a new perception of the costs involved in
    > filmmaking. In March the RED Digital Cinema Camera Company flew two of
    > the alpha prototype cameras to Wellington, New Zealand, and Peter
    > Jackson became the first filmmaker to put the camera through it's paces;
    > two weeks later the finished film was shown to much acclaim at the NAB
    > conference in Las Vegas. Yes, you read that correctly: "Peter Jackson,
    > "two weeks" and "finished film" all in one sentence.
    >
    > ..."
    >
    > http://www.onfilm.co.nz/editable/DigiFeature.pdf

    This was brilliant, I got to see it on the big screen, wow, It was amazing
    Can be seen here too:
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1883
    Andrew Lambert, Aug 26, 2007

  3. Mark Robinson

    Mutlley Guest

    Andrew Lambert <> wrote:

    >Mark Robinson wrote:
    >> "Late March 2007: three Americans attempt to leave the USA carrying two
    >> top secret devices codenamed "Boris" and "Natasha". Customs apprehend
    >> one at the border, but the others escape in a private jet to the South
    >> Pacific where an eccentric millionaire with an arsenal of WWI weapons
    >> awaits their arrival, eager to lay his hand on the "Mysterium" chip ...
    >>
    >> Although this sounds like a James Bond plot, it's actually a pretty
    >> accurate (if melodramatically phrased) description of the real events.
    >>
    >> The imminent release of the RED ONE camera will herald, many believe, a
    >> new way of making films and a new perception of the costs involved in
    >> filmmaking. In March the RED Digital Cinema Camera Company flew two of
    >> the alpha prototype cameras to Wellington, New Zealand, and Peter
    >> Jackson became the first filmmaker to put the camera through it's paces;
    >> two weeks later the finished film was shown to much acclaim at the NAB
    >> conference in Las Vegas. Yes, you read that correctly: "Peter Jackson,
    >> "two weeks" and "finished film" all in one sentence.
    >>
    >> ..."
    >>
    >> http://www.onfilm.co.nz/editable/DigiFeature.pdf

    >This was brilliant, I got to see it on the big screen, wow, It was amazing
    >Can be seen here too:
    >http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1883

    Wonder how they are going to long term archive movies done this way??
    back to film separations or in 30 years time it's all lost ..

    I see that Startrek TOS has been release in Hidef DVD format. I
    suspect only because it was filmed in 35mm not on video tape like
    some of the latter series..
    Mutlley, Aug 27, 2007
  4. In message <>, Mutlley wrote:

    > Wonder how they are going to long term archive movies done this way??
    > back to film separations or in 30 years time it's all lost ..

    Why should digital formats automatically make it hard to preserve long-term
    archives? Is it the DRM issue you're thinking of?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 27, 2007
  5. Mark Robinson

    Mutlley Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Wonder how they are going to long term archive movies done this way??
    >> back to film separations or in 30 years time it's all lost ..

    >Why should digital formats automatically make it hard to preserve long-term
    >archives? Is it the DRM issue you're thinking of?

    Nope. Just that digital archiving has a habit of going bad as
    technology becomes obsolete.. Remember the CDRs that last a
    hundred years and went bad before they could be copied.. Unless the
    studios make regular archival copies of their movies every time a new
    technology comes along then they will be lost..
    Mutlley, Aug 27, 2007
  6. In message <>, Mutlley wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wonder how they are going to long term archive movies done this way??
    >>> back to film separations or in 30 years time it's all lost ..

    >>Why should digital formats automatically make it hard to preserve
    >>long-term archives? Is it the DRM issue you're thinking of?

    > Nope. Just that digital archiving has a habit of going bad as
    > technology becomes obsolete.. Remember the CDRs that last a
    > hundred years and went bad before they could be copied.. Unless the
    > studios make regular archival copies of their movies every time a new
    > technology comes along then they will be lost..

    So do that, then. Digital files are easy to copy--so keep copying them. And
    keep multiple copies in physically separate locations.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 27, 2007
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Why should digital formats automatically make it hard to preserve
    >>> long-term archives? Is it the DRM issue you're thinking of?

    >> Nope. Just that digital archiving has a habit of going bad as
    >> technology becomes obsolete.. Remember the CDRs that last a
    >> hundred years and went bad before they could be copied.. Unless the
    >> studios make regular archival copies of their movies every time a new
    >> technology comes along then they will be lost..

    > So do that, then. Digital files are easy to copy--so keep copying them. And
    > keep multiple copies in physically separate locations.

    Not only that, but do it automatically..
    Southern Kiwi, Aug 27, 2007
  8. Mark Robinson

    Mutlley Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Why should digital formats automatically make it hard to preserve
    >>>long-term archives? Is it the DRM issue you're thinking of?

    >> Nope. Just that digital archiving has a habit of going bad as
    >> technology becomes obsolete.. Remember the CDRs that last a
    >> hundred years and went bad before they could be copied.. Unless the
    >> studios make regular archival copies of their movies every time a new
    >> technology comes along then they will be lost..

    >So do that, then. Digital files are easy to copy--so keep copying them. And
    >keep multiple copies in physically separate locations.

    Today the Studios reputation for preserving their movies leaves allot
    to be desired so i don't expect it to improve with digital..
    Mutlley, Aug 27, 2007
  9. In message <>, Mutlley wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Nope. Just that digital archiving has a habit of going bad as
    >>> technology becomes obsolete.. Remember the CDRs that last a
    >>> hundred years and went bad before they could be copied.. Unless the
    >>> studios make regular archival copies of their movies every time a new
    >>> technology comes along then they will be lost..

    >>So do that, then. Digital files are easy to copy--so keep copying them.
    >>And keep multiple copies in physically separate locations.

    > Today the Studios reputation for preserving their movies leaves allot
    > to be desired so i don't expect it to improve with digital..

    So hire a librarian to do it--that's what they're trained to do--classify
    and archive information so that it can be easily found later.

    And the physical job of doing it should actually be easier now that
    everything is digital. Instead of having to deal with the difference
    between books, tapes, film reels etc, it's all just bits, and can be
    stored, squirted around etc using the same plumbing.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 28, 2007
  10. Mark Robinson

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Wonder how they are going to long term archive movies done this way??
    >> back to film separations or in 30 years time it's all lost ..

    > Why should digital formats automatically make it hard to preserve long-term
    > archives? Is it the DRM issue you're thinking of?

    Guess you haven't used a recently made dvd writer and had the
    "sucessful" burn immediately not verify, or become unreadable within months.

    Mate has a book of 96 dvd-r's of HD movies which were downloaded, less
    then half would read 4 months later, and it wasn't cheap media either.

    Got most of them off by trying in different drives, still lost a few.
    And they all verified ok in nero at burn time.
    Richard, Aug 28, 2007
  11. In message <46d4005f$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wonder how they are going to long term archive movies done this way??
    >>> back to film separations or in 30 years time it's all lost ..

    >> Why should digital formats automatically make it hard to preserve
    >> long-term archives? Is it the DRM issue you're thinking of?

    > Guess you haven't used a recently made dvd writer and had the
    > "sucessful" burn immediately not verify, or become unreadable within
    > months.

    Nope.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 28, 2007
  12. In message <favl0c$akh$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>So do that, then. Digital files are easy to copy--so keep copying them.
    >>>And keep multiple copies in physically separate locations.

    >> Today the Studios reputation for preserving their movies leaves allot
    >> to be desired so i don't expect it to improve with digital..

    > So hire a librarian to do it--that's what they're trained to do--classify
    > and archive information so that it can be easily found later.
    >
    > And the physical job of doing it should actually be easier now that
    > everything is digital. Instead of having to deal with the difference
    > between books, tapes, film reels etc, it's all just bits, and can be
    > stored, squirted around etc using the same plumbing.

    Here's an example of how somebody else is approaching a similar problem:
    <http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9032739&intsrc=hm_list>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 28, 2007
  13. Mark Robinson

    sam Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wonder how they are going to long term archive movies done this way??
    >>> back to film separations or in 30 years time it's all lost ..

    >> Why should digital formats automatically make it hard to preserve
    >> long-term
    >> archives? Is it the DRM issue you're thinking of?

    > Guess you haven't used a recently made dvd writer and had the
    > "sucessful" burn immediately not verify, or become unreadable within
    > months.
    >
    > Mate has a book of 96 dvd-r's of HD movies which were downloaded, less
    > then half would read 4 months later, and it wasn't cheap media either.
    >
    > Got most of them off by trying in different drives, still lost a few.
    > And they all verified ok in nero at burn time.

    The answer is to find better methods of archiving digital formats, not
    to give a second hand anecdotal instance, spit the dummy and say its
    impossible.
    Analogue film and audio tape also deteriorate in storage.
    They are being preserved by archivists by digitization.
    The chemical binders and materials used in analogue media have the same
    problems as those used in digital media.
    sam, Aug 28, 2007
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Wonder how they are going to long term archive movies done this way??
    >> back to film separations or in 30 years time it's all lost ..

    > Why should digital formats automatically make it hard to preserve long-term
    > archives? Is it the DRM issue you're thinking of?

    Anyone able to read this stack of 1/2" tapes ?
    Mark Robinson, Aug 29, 2007
  15. In message <2tod.net>, Mark Robinson wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wonder how they are going to long term archive movies done this way??
    >>> back to film separations or in 30 years time it's all lost ..

    >> Why should digital formats automatically make it hard to preserve
    >> long-term archives? Is it the DRM issue you're thinking of?

    > Anyone able to read this stack of 1/2" tapes ?

    ANSI D format?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 29, 2007
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <2tod.net>, Mark Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Why should digital formats automatically make it hard to preserve
    >>> long-term archives? Is it the DRM issue you're thinking of?

    >> Anyone able to read this stack of 1/2" tapes ?

    > ANSI D format?

    EBCDIC, 1600bpi, 9 track.

    I have a drive somewhere but can't be bothered interfacing it to a modern machine.
    Mark Robinson, Aug 29, 2007
  17. In message <2tod.net>, Mark Robinson wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Anyone able to read this stack of 1/2" tapes ?

    >> ANSI D format?

    > EBCDIC, 1600bpi, 9 track.
    >
    > I have a drive somewhere but can't be bothered interfacing it to a modern
    > machine.

    If you value the data, you should transfer it before it's too late.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 29, 2007
  18. Mark Robinson

    Ross Guest

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:19:51 +1200, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Anyone able to read this stack of 1/2" tapes ?

    >> ANSI D format?

    >EBCDIC, 1600bpi, 9 track.
    >
    >I have a drive somewhere but can't be bothered interfacing it to a modern machine.

    There's an IBM 360/40 in a NZ museum. If it has tapes drives with it
    you can copy your data off. You will have some JCL punched onto
    80-column Hollerith cards and hope the FS02 and related utilities are
    still on one of it's hard drives.
    Ross, Aug 29, 2007
  19. Mark Robinson

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Ross <> wrote in

    > There's an IBM 360/40 in a NZ museum. If it has tapes drives with it
    > you can copy your data off. You will have some JCL punched onto
    > 80-column Hollerith cards and hope the FS02 and related utilities are
    > still on one of it's hard drives.

    Dad used to get me to draw pictures onto the cards for fun; a million
    monkeys he said...
    Then he would feed them in, alas, nothing came of it...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 1, 2007