    Also are there any digital SLRs that would take my FD lenses or do I
    have to really start all over? Thanks.

    , Jul 29, 2003

  2. Lucas Tam Guest

    wrote in news:eoodivcdea5fgb6hiajl27shf4e1r37mfd@
    4ax.com:

    > I'm an old-time sports photographer who has been using a Canon F1 for
    > years. I want to switch to a digital, but am not sure where to start.
    > I've seen some of the High end cameras like the Canon EOS 10Ds and the
    > Nikon D2H, but wonder if I need to spend that kind of money for a
    > decent SLR with a fast shutter speed.

    If you don't want to spend that amount of money, check out Fuji's S602,
    S5000, and S7000. The s602 and S7000 have a 1/10000 shutter speed.

    However, you don't have the ability to add on lenses (except for
    teleconverters) and is not a true SLR.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Mxsmanic Guest

    writes:

    > I want to switch to a digital, but am not sure where to start.

    Answer the obvious question first: Why do you want to switch to
    digital?

    Mxsmanic, Jul 30, 2003
  4. "Mxsmanic" <> wrote in message
    > writes:
    >
    > > I want to switch to a digital, but am not sure where to start.

    > Answer the obvious question first: Why do you want to switch to
    > digital?

    He's sick of the noise in his scans (to say nothing of the cost and time
    associated with film, development and scanning), and realizes that dSLR
    digital at ISO 400 and over is significantly better than 35mm film at ISO
    400 and over.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 30, 2003
  5. Lionel Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:14:08 GMT, in
    <>,
    said:

    >I'm an old-time sports photographer who has been using a Canon F1 for
    >years. I want to switch to a digital, but am not sure where to start.
    >I've seen some of the High end cameras like the Canon EOS 10Ds and the
    >Nikon D2H, but wonder if I need to spend that kind of money for a
    >decent SLR with a fast shutter speed.

    Yes. If you want something on a par with a film SLR, that's pretty much
    where you need to start.

    >Also are there any digital SLRs that would take my FD lenses or do I
    >have to really start all over? Thanks.

    Yes, I'm afraid so. Used FD lenses are so incredibly cheap that it'd be
    wonderful if I could use them on my 10D.

    Lionel, Jul 30, 2003
  6. Lionel Guest

    On 30 Jul 2003 01:12:42 -0700, in <>,
    Paul Rubin <http://> said:

    >Lionel <> writes:
    >> >Also are there any digital SLRs that would take my FD lenses or do I
    >> >have to really start all over? Thanks.

    >> Yes, I'm afraid so. Used FD lenses are so incredibly cheap that it'd be
    >> wonderful if I could use them on my 10D.

    >I thought you could put FD lenses on any EOS body using an adapter, if
    >you didn't mind having only aperture priority AE and no AF.

    I'm certainly no expert on the subject, so you may well be correct. If
    anyone knows for sure about this, I'd be very interested to hear from
    them.

    Lionel, Jul 30, 2003
  7. writes:

    > I'm an old-time sports photographer who has been using a Canon F1 for
    > years. I want to switch to a digital, but am not sure where to start.
    > I've seen some of the High end cameras like the Canon EOS 10Ds and the
    > Nikon D2H, but wonder if I need to spend that kind of money for a
    > decent SLR with a fast shutter speed.

    If you are used to the fast shutter speeds of film cameras, almost all cameras
    under the DSLR level (including Olympus E-10/E-20 as DSLRS even though they
    don't have removable lenses) will disappoint you for something like sports. On
    some cameras you can prefocus to get a faster shutter speed (note, that only a
    few cameras have a focus ring on the lens, most use buttons to focus), but it
    only works if you know where the action is going to be.

    I suspect if you are shooting sports, the newly announced Nikon D2H (when it
    starts shipping), or the more expensive Canon 1D are probably the cameras you
    want, since those are the cameras with a decent frames per second. If you can
    deal with the shutter lag problem with prefocusing, the Minolta 7HI, Fujifilm
    S602, or if you can still find it, the Olympus E-100Rs all can do higher speed
    frames per second.

    > Also are there any digital SLRs that would take my FD lenses or do I
    > have to really start all over? Thanks.

    I don't know on this one.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jul 30, 2003
  8. "Lionel" <> wrote in message news:bg81b0$tcf$...
    > On 30 Jul 2003 01:12:42 -0700, in <>,
    > Paul Rubin <http://> said:

    > >> Yes, I'm afraid so. Used FD lenses are so incredibly cheap that it'd be
    > >> wonderful if I could use them on my 10D.

    > >I thought you could put FD lenses on any EOS body using an adapter, if
    > >you didn't mind having only aperture priority AE and no AF.

    > I'm certainly no expert on the subject, so you may well be correct. If
    > anyone knows for sure about this, I'd be very interested to hear from
    > them.

    Here's a site that explains just about all of it very well :

    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/

    It certainly helped me out when I was trying to find out about using a
    T-mount adaptor and stopped down metering a couple of weeks ago :)

    Regards,
    Brian

    Brian McMahon, Jul 30, 2003
  9. Lionel wrote:

    > On 30 Jul 2003 01:12:42 -0700, in <>,
    > Paul Rubin <http://> said:

    > >> Yes, I'm afraid so. Used FD lenses are so incredibly cheap that it'd be
    > >> wonderful if I could use them on my 10D.

    > >I thought you could put FD lenses on any EOS body using an adapter, if
    > >you didn't mind having only aperture priority AE and no AF.

    > I'm certainly no expert on the subject, so you may well be correct. If
    > anyone knows for sure about this, I'd be very interested to hear from
    > them.

    The register (lens mount to film plane distance) on FD bodies is 42mm
    and on EOS bodies is 44mm
    (http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mounts.htm). You can't mount an FD
    lens on an EOS body and maintain infinity focus without using additional
    optics.

    There are 3rd-party optical adapters available, but of dubious quality.
    Canon made 2 types of FD-EOS adapters:
    * macro adapter (no glass) that will not maintain infinity focus.
    * long-lens adapter (actually a 1.26x entender) useable only on long FD
    lenses (only those lenses capable of using the FD 1.4X extender). This
    adapter maintains infinity focus.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Jul 30, 2003
  10. On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:14:08 GMT, wrote:

    >I'm an old-time sports photographer who has been using a Canon F1 for
    >years. I want to switch to a digital, but am not sure where to start.
    >I've seen some of the High end cameras like the Canon EOS 10Ds and the
    >Nikon D2H, but wonder if I need to spend that kind of money for a
    >decent SLR with a fast shutter speed.

    I don't know about the performance of the F1 but if you're into sports
    you may be disappointed with the performance of the 10D. My film body
    was an EOS 3 and the 10D isn't quite up to it's level as far as
    focusing speed and frames per second. Also, the shutter lag is
    noticably more in the 10D vs. the 1D. It's not much and fairly easy to
    compensate for but it's a little slower.

    You would probably want the 1D. It's 4MP, shoots up to 21 frames at
    8fps before having to stop to write to disk. It's extremely
    weatherproof & durable just like the rest of Canon's 1 series.

    You can get them now for around $3500.

    The 1Ds is probably overkill for sports. Considering many of the SI
    shooters are using a 4MP 1D, the 11MP 1Ds probably isn't really
    necessary. All that extra data slows the camera down to a weak 3 fps
    which may not be enough for your type of work. Plus, you would be
    switching CF cards much sooner with 11MP of data. It'd be a great body
    for studio work but not sports, IMO.

    Nikon is catching up with the future release of the D2H which is
    pretty close in specs to the 1D. Don't know when it'll be out but it's
    an option if you feel like switching. Since you probably won't be able
    to use your FD glass it's not like you're committed to a brand.

    With that said, I'd stay with Canon. I believe, IMO, that they have
    better lenses ... well, maybe not better but they have more Image
    Stabilized lenses than Nikon does VR. I keep hearing that Nikon's VR
    lenses are growing in number but haven't seen any evidence of it yet.
    So, I'd go with Canon. As far as the glass itself is concerned, I
    doubt either makes a "better" lens.

    But, IS & VR lenses might not even be of value to you. The IS is great
    for motorsports & panning but for football or basketball it's
    relatively useless.

    Good luck,

    Mike

    Michael Stevens, Jul 30, 2003
  11. Michael Meissner wrote:

    > writes:
    >
    > > I'm an old-time sports photographer who has been using a Canon F1 for
    > > years. I want to switch to a digital, but am not sure where to start.
    > > I've seen some of the High end cameras like the Canon EOS 10Ds and the
    > > Nikon D2H, but wonder if I need to spend that kind of money for a
    > > decent SLR with a fast shutter speed.

    > If you are used to the fast shutter speeds of film cameras, almost all cameras
    > under the DSLR level (including Olympus E-10/E-20 as DSLRS even though they
    > don't have removable lenses) will disappoint you for something like sports.

    I don't know what you are talking about. What do you consider
    fast? The Canon 10D has a 1/4000 second shutter speed.
    The canon F1 only had 1/1000, see:
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1/html/canonf1highspeed.htm

    The F1 was a manual focus camera. It is quite a leap
    to modern autofocus, allowing sports photography unlike that
    possible with the F1, whether film or digital.

    Shutter delay on the Canon 10D is similar in responsivity
    as all but the top film cameras, and hugh factors faster
    than a manual focus slr. The Canon 1Ds reportedly has the
    shortest shutter lag of any camera, film or digital.

    The only issue with digital compared to film is frames per second.
    The Canon 10D can do 3 frames per second for 9 frames then
    1 per second continuous. A fast film slr can do 8 to 9 frames
    per second.

    Image quality of the 10D will be better than film for ISO speeds
    faster than ISO 100, see:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/film.vs.digital.summary1.html

    Roger Clark
    Photography, digital info at: