FiLM (manual) vs. Digital (electronic) an advantage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tom Scales, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Let's see. Where do you think:

    "Works in a blackout"

    belongs on the list of decision making criteria.

    I've experienced one lengthy blackout in my life, right after hurricane
    hugo. Could easily have charged my camera batteries from my car for the 3
    or 4 day blackout.

    While your point is true, it's not a big issue. Let's face it. What if the
    batteries in the average wunderbrick 35mm camera go out during the blackout
    and no stores are open. You gonna meter everything Sunny 16?

    Tom
    "S f S" <> wrote in message

    > EYE dont like to get into this newsgroups for other subjects as

    photography. So
    > regarding the blackout here is my say:
    >
    > When there is/was a blackout - those with film (manual) cameras can go on

    and
    > on with their cameras, but those with digital cameras have a problem after

    > while it needs charging, as well as charging the laptop for back up etc.
    >
    > Cheeers,
    > Sussan
    > You may Email me taking off my name from my Email address in the header

    of

    Tom Scales, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Tom Scales

    S f S Guest

    EYE dont like to get into this newsgroups for other subjects as photography. So
    regarding the blackout here is my say:

    When there is/was a blackout - those with film (manual) cameras can go on and
    on with their cameras, but those with digital cameras have a problem after a

    S f S, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Tom Scales

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    USSAN says...
    > When there is/was a blackout - those with film (manual) cameras can go on and
    > on with their cameras, but those with digital cameras have a problem after a
    > while it needs charging, as well as charging the laptop for back up etc.

    Very true. I can see the new ad campaign from the film companies now:

    "Film -- it works in a blackout!"

    Kinda like Delta's "We get you there" slogan -- "Hey buddy, we get you
    there so what's your problem?"

    :)

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 17, 2003
  4. S f S wrote:
    > EYE dont like to get into this newsgroups for other subjects as photography. So
    > regarding the blackout here is my say:
    >
    > When there is/was a blackout - those with film (manual) cameras can go on and
    > on with their cameras, but those with digital cameras have a problem after a
    > while it needs charging, as well as charging the laptop for back up etc.

    That just depends on your camera. The D100 batteries go on and on. I
    have to and can take about 1600 pictures with those batteries. Emptying
    the cards would be another issue without a computer. I suppose an
    adequately charged laptop would do.

    I don't have this problem. If my power goes out I just start up my
    whole house generator. One of the advantages of living in the country.

    Andrew McDonald, Aug 17, 2003
  5. Tom Scales

    Beowulf Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:23:39 -0500, S f S wrote:
    > When there is/was a blackout - those with film (manual) cameras can go
    > on and on with their cameras, but those with digital cameras have a
    > problem after a while it needs charging, as well as charging the laptop
    > for back up etc.

    In general I think you have a good point. But then a film camera (I
    have two) requires I have film on hand [remember that stores selling film
    will be closed during the blackout since cash registers will not work,
    etc.]-- whereas digital can be shot using memory cards, and undesired
    shots could be deleted to free up mem card space.

    And saavy digital camera users can keep an extra battery or two around.
    You can shoot quite a few pics with a single battery. Or with the Canon
    EOS 10D I am thinking of buying, an optional expansion battery pack
    handle can be purchased to allow extra batteries to be part of the
    camera.

    Beowulf, Aug 17, 2003
  6. Tom Scales

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <>, S f S wrote:

    > When there is/was a blackout - those with film (manual) cameras can go on and
    > on with their cameras, but those with digital cameras have a problem after a
    > while it needs charging, as well as charging the laptop for back up etc.

    I can charge my camera batteries from a car battery, whether the car is
    running or not.
    A film camera will run out of film much sooner than a digital camera will,
    and if you are about to claim that you can buy more film then keep in mind
    that I can buy more batteries.

    Mike Graham, Aug 17, 2003
  7. Tom Scales

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "S f S" <> wrote in message

    > EYE dont like to get into this newsgroups for other subjects as

    photography. So
    > regarding the blackout here is my say:
    >
    > When there is/was a blackout - those with film (manual) cameras can go on

    and
    > on with their cameras, but those with digital cameras have a problem after

    > while it needs charging, as well as charging the laptop for back up etc.
    >
    > Cheeers,
    > Sussan

    As several others have pointed out in a number of different ways.

    EWE seem to have an extremely limited knowledge of technology.
    --
    http://www.bobhatch.com
    Our web site about RV Stuff

    Bob Hatch, Aug 17, 2003
  8. Tom Scales

    Lisa Horton Guest

    S f S wrote:

    > EYE dont like to get into this newsgroups for other subjects as photography. So
    > regarding the blackout here is my say:
    >
    > When there is/was a blackout - those with film (manual) cameras can go on and
    > on with their cameras, but those with digital cameras have a problem after a
    > while it needs charging, as well as charging the laptop for back up etc.

    If so equipped, one could recharge all the batteries in the car using an
    inverter, as long as one has gas in the car of course. Beyond that, it
    continues to become increasingly prudent to have one's own generator,
    especially in California.

    I could shoot, download, process and print for days, if not weeks,
    without mains power :) Or I could have exposed rolls of film piling up,
    waiting for the lab to get power back :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Aug 17, 2003
  9. Tom Scales

    Ron Hunter Guest

    S f S wrote:
    > EYE dont like to get into this newsgroups for other subjects as photography. So
    > regarding the blackout here is my say:
    >
    > When there is/was a blackout - those with film (manual) cameras can go on and
    > on with their cameras, but those with digital cameras have a problem after a
    > while it needs charging, as well as charging the laptop for back up etc.
    >
    > Cheeers,
    > Sussan
    > You may Email me taking off my name from my Email address in the header of
    > this posted message.

    This might be a problem for some, but I keep three charged sets in my
    briefcase, and a lithium cell as backup. That's enough for as many
    pictures as my CF card supply will support. Then there is the charger
    that will charge the batteries in my car...

    I don't see this as a significant factor re: film vs. digital.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 17, 2003
  10. Tom Scales

    Charlie Self Guest

    Tom Scales writes:

    >Let's see. Where do you think:
    >
    >"Works in a blackout"
    >
    >belongs on the list of decision making criteria.
    >
    >I've experienced one lengthy blackout in my life, right after hurricane
    >hugo. Could easily have charged my camera batteries from my car for the 3
    >or 4 day blackout.

    You've been lucky. But, then, I used to live in the country (and, I hope, will
    soon do so again...I just ain't a city boy no more). Still, I started with the
    '65 blackout, sitting that out in Albany, NY. Unfortunately, that reminds me of
    my first wife. After that, it was always ice storms, including one that killed
    our power for 7-8 days.

    Since I'm not a photojournalist, that didn't faze me...but all my cameras were
    film, back then. And totally unused. If they hadn't been, I'd have had to hold
    the film until I got to the processors. Digital would have had photos ready and
    on a laptop.

    Charlie Self

    "A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."
    Dan Quayle

    Charlie Self, Aug 17, 2003
  11. Lisa Horton <> writes:

    >If so equipped, one could recharge all the batteries in the car using an
    >inverter, as long as one has gas in the car of course.

    With a suitable choice of charger, you don't even need the inverter.
    The Maha 201F, the Rayovac PS4, and several of the Radio Shack chargers
    all operate from 12 VDC, and can be powered directly from the car
    battery with a suitable power cord.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Aug 18, 2003
  12. Dave Martindale wrote:
    > With a suitable choice of charger, you don't even need the inverter.
    > The Maha 201F, the Rayovac PS4, and several of the Radio Shack chargers
    > all operate from 12 VDC, and can be powered directly from the car
    > battery with a suitable power cord.

    Ah, that assumes you only use AA batteries. The only thing I have that
    uses AA rechargables is my SB80DX flash.

    Everything else (Digital Wallet, laptop, D100, etc) have their own
    batteries.

    Andrew McDonald, Aug 18, 2003
  13. Tom Scales

    Don Stauffer Guest

    But I do not use rechargables in my digicam - I use alkalines.

    However, I love many of our older film cameras because they do work when
    battery dies, just have to estimate exposure manually. However, one of
    my wife's cameras is an OM-PC. First (and only) of our electronic film
    cameras. Shutter is electrically operated. When battery goes bad, it
    has enough oomphh to open shutter, then shutter stays OPEN!

    Thing is, with all others of our film cameras, if we are not packing
    spare bats, we can still finish shooting, and get new battery later. I
    try to always carry a spare set with me for my digital. They are simple
    alkaline AA cells, though, so obtainable at virtually any gas station.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Aug 18, 2003
  14. Tom Scales

    JohnO Guest

    SUSSAN (S f S) wrote:
    > regarding the blackout here is my say:
    >
    > When there is/was a blackout - those with film (manual) cameras can go on and
    > on with their cameras, but those with digital cameras have a problem after a
    > while it needs charging, as well as charging the laptop for back up etc.

    Very good point! Chalk one up for film!

    Let's see ... If I had my digital cameras, batteries charged, all
    my storage media shooting at the highest resolution I could get about
    1600 shots with battery power to spare (3 batteries for my 10D, 3
    batteries for my FD-97).

    1600 @ 24 shots per roll would be 67 rolls, providing you could find
    a store open to sell you film at $5/roll (that price IF you can find a
    discount store in NYC) plus developing @$5/roll would equal $670 ...
    No Thanks! I'll stick with digital. But you are right ... I'd be done
    shooting much sooner than anyone with film and a large bankroll.

    JohnO, Aug 19, 2003
  15. Tom Scales

    S f S Guest

    In article <>, Mike Graham
    <> writes:

    >A film camera will run out of film much sooner than a digital camera will,
    >and if you are about to claim that you can buy more film then keep in mind
    >that I can buy more batteries.

    And how about the computer you move all the pictures to?

    S f S, Aug 21, 2003
  16. Tom Scales

    HRosita Guest

    > USSAN (S f S) wrote:

    >And how about the computer you move all the pictures to?

    1. you can move them to a battery operated storage device like digital wallet.

    2. How many shoe boxes are the equivalent of a 4.7 GB DVD for storing pictures?
    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 21, 2003
  17. Tom Scales

    S f S Guest

    In article <>, et
    (HRosita) writes:

    >1. you can move them to a battery operated storage device like digital
    >wallet.
    >
    >2. How many shoe boxes are the equivalent of a 4.7 GB DVD for storing
    >pictures?
    >Rosita

    1. For those who have generators and many kinds of backup devices? I was
    talking of the most - those who have a computer desktop or laptop which needs
    power mainly provided by the electric company.

    S f S, Aug 29, 2003
  18. Tom Scales

    Ken Alverson Guest

    "S f S" <> wrote in message

    > 1. For those who have generators and many kinds of backup devices? I was
    > talking of the most - those who have a computer desktop or laptop which

    needs
    > power mainly provided by the electric company.

    I have a power inverter that lets me run stuff off my car's 12V jack. Doesn't
    everyone?

    Ken

    Ken Alverson, Aug 29, 2003
  19. S f S wrote:
    > 1. For those who have generators and many kinds of backup devices? I was
    > talking of the most - those who have a computer desktop or laptop which needs
    > power mainly provided by the electric company.

    If we made our purchasing decisions based on the power going out we
    woudn't own computers, digital cameras, refrigerators, televisions,
    microwaves or even light bulbs.

    It's silly to say that a "non digital" film camera has an advantage over
    digital because the power goes off occasionally. My power goes out two
    to three times a week (usually very briefly) but I have not given up on
    using electricity to make my life better.

    Andrew McDonald, Aug 29, 2003