    I like film factory Espon program but I can not figure out how to change
    the (compress it) dpi size of a image file so I can send it in email
    some picture are just to large in pixel size?????????? can some help??
    vic zarka, Jan 29, 2004

  2. "vic zarka" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I like film factory Espon program but I can not figure out how to change
    > the (compress it) dpi size of a image file so I can send it in email
    > some picture are just to large in pixel size?????????? can some help??

    Vic:

    (This type of question comes up over and over again.)

    Digital images are made up of an array of pixels, such as 1600 x 1200. That's just
    pixels, *NOT* pixels-per-inch (or dots-per-inch, dpi). The size of the image *FILE*
    depends on the amount of data compression that has been applied. If your camera
    produces 1600 x 1200 pixels with 3 bytes of data per pixel, then the uncompressed
    data size is just 1600 x 3 x 1200 x 3 = 17.28 MB. Most casual users use the jpeg
    file format which includes a variable amount of file compression (including discarding
    information - lossy compression). A type jpeg file of the same image might be around
    1MB, though the actual size will depend on the amount of compression and the
    image make-up.

    Now: I'm not certain which problem you are having:
    1. The image *FILE* is too large to email.
    2. The *IMAGE* is too big to fit on the screen of your recipient.
    3. Both 1 and 2

    If 2. is the problem, then you need to make the Image small enough to fit on the screen.
    If you want to fit on an 800 x 600 screen setting, you are going to have to reduce the
    number of pixels until it is less than 800 x 600. This will throw away information in
    exchange
    for fitting on the screen. You should choose the best "reduce size" option at your
    disposal,
    since they won't all result in the same final quality.

    If 1. Is your problem, then you have two choices. You can either reduce the number of
    pixels in the file, just like in 2. Or you can decrease the file size by increasing the
    amount
    of compression. Or you can do both. It all depends on how small you want to make the
    file, and what the other person wants to do with it. Clearly, the more information you
    throw away, the poor a print of the photograph will be.

    If 3. Is your problem, then simple apply 1. and/or 2. as needed.

    Now, the whole "dpi" thing. dpi (or ppi) only matter when you print your picture
    (because that's
    something where inches matters). There are two ways to look at the issue:
    Since dpi is dots *per* inch, some people like to use it to determine the size of a
    print.
    1600 pixels / 300 ppi = 5 1/3 inches.
    1200 pixels / 300 ppi = 4 inches. => Your print size will be 5.33 x 4 inches.
    Other people look at ppi as a quality assessment:
    If I print 1600 x 1200 at 5.33 x 4 inches, that's 300 ppi, which is pretty good.
    If I print 1600 x 1200 at 16 x 12 inches, I only have 100 ppi, which might not look so
    good.

    Since most printers and their drivers will do a resonably good job of expanding or
    compressing
    your image, many people, including me, don't worry about ppi, and just tell the printer
    to print
    the image at a certain size. The printer will spread the available pixels across the
    specified
    size by either creating intermediate pixels, if you didn't give it enough, or
    compressing to fewer
    pixels if you gave it too many.

    I hope that helps.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

    "They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum
    And they charged the people a dollar and a half to see them
    No, no, no / Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
    They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot."
    Dan Wojciechowski, Jan 30, 2004