    considering adding a film body if I can find one that can perform as good as
    the Rebel, use all it's accessories, and cost around $300 new or used.

    Any ideas? I've been looking at the Elan 7E.
    end user too, Feb 10, 2004

  2. end user too

    Boris Harss Guest

    Hi!

    > I bought EF L lenses, 1.4 TC, and 550 flash for my 300D Rebel and now Imp
    > considering adding a film body if I can find one that can perform as good as the Rebel,

    ROTFL! Try any one-digit EOS (including the acient EOS 1) and you will
    rather not want to touch you Rebel again - except for the nice feature
    with the digital images! ;-))

    > use all it's accessories, and cost around $300 new or used.
    > Any ideas? I've been looking at the Elan 7E.

    I'd recommend an used EOS 2 (I think, this is the US name of the EOS 5
    elsewhere), old but pretty nice features. A used Elan (not the first
    series, an Elan II or later) would also do. If you can get one, try a
    used EOS 1N or EOS 3, just to know why you really want a 1D... #-)

    Surely, a new body is also nice, but there you have to spend more on.
    The older ones might not use all features of your flash, but you likely
    will never notice (A-TTL instead of E-TTL).

    Cheers,
    B.
    Boris Harss, Feb 10, 2004

  3. end user too

    Ed E. Guest

    > Any ideas? I've been looking at the Elan 7E.

    How about the Rebel 300V (Ti), which the 300D is based on? Can't get much
    more similar than that. The body alone is about $210.
    Ed E., Feb 10, 2004
  4. end user too

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Excellent body. I've been using Elans since they were introduced in 1992.
    You can't go wrong with one.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 10, 2004
  5. end user too

    end user too Guest

    "Boris Harss" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > > I bought EF L lenses, 1.4 TC, and 550 flash for my 300D Rebel and now

    Imp
    > > considering adding a film body if I can find one that can perform as

    good as the Rebel,

    > ROTFL! Try any one-digit EOS (including the acient EOS 1) and you will
    > rather not want to touch you Rebel again - except for the nice feature
    > with the digital images! ;-))

    That's kinda what I had in mind - see all these nice features, like 45-point
    focus (not for $300 maybe but....).
    end user too, Feb 10, 2004
  6. end user too

    jriegle Guest

    The Elan is a good camera series to select.

    I just picked up a rebel G for $110. I will not be shooting film as much
    since I have the D rebel and a compact digital. The Rebel G gives me
    aperture priority and program mode. It is small and light. I can't even tell
    its extra weight is in my bag.

    John

    jriegle, Feb 10, 2004
  7. "end user too" <> wrote:
    > "Boris Harss" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > ROTFL! Try any one-digit EOS (including the acient EOS 1) and you will
    > > rather not want to touch you Rebel again - except for the nice feature
    > > with the digital images! ;-))

    > That's kinda what I had in mind - see all these nice features, like

    45-point
    > focus (not for $300 maybe but....).

    Other than the spot metering you get with the EOS 3, all the bells and
    whistles are pretty meaningless. The Rebels seem plastic and flimsy, but
    they basically last forever. The cheapest and lightest of the current Rebels
    uses a plastic lens mount, but the next model up has a metal lens mount and
    the AF system is amazingly zippy. If you are not going to shoot a lot of
    film, blowing serious money on a film body really doesn't make a lot of
    sense and the weight means it might not even be in your bag when you want
    it. The Rebel body is well under 400 grams, and having the same AF and
    exposure system means that you don't have to think (as much) when you switch
    cameras.

    Truth in advertising: I don't own any of the Rebels, I've only handled them
    in the camera stores. (But if Canon doesn't come out with an affordable
    full-frame sensor dSLR soon, a film Rebel + Stigma 12-24 may appear
    here<g>.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Feb 11, 2004
  8. end user too

    end user too Guest

    > "end user too" <> wrote:
    > > "Boris Harss" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > ROTFL! Try any one-digit EOS (including the acient EOS 1) and you will
    > > > rather not want to touch you Rebel again - except for the nice feature
    > > > with the digital images! ;-))

    > > That's kinda what I had in mind - see all these nice features, like

    > 45-point
    > > focus (not for $300 maybe but....).

    > Other than the spot metering you get with the EOS 3, all the bells and
    > whistles are pretty meaningless. The Rebels seem plastic and flimsy, but
    > they basically last forever. The cheapest and lightest of the current

    Rebels
    > uses a plastic lens mount, but the next model up has a metal lens mount

    and
    > the AF system is amazingly zippy. If you are not going to shoot a lot of
    > film, blowing serious money on a film body really doesn't make a lot of
    > sense and the weight means it might not even be in your bag when you want
    > it. The Rebel body is well under 400 grams, and having the same AF and
    > exposure system means that you don't have to think (as much) when you

    switch
    > cameras.

    Good point. If I get a EOS x (single digit) I think I can learn more in the
    long run, but I actually might *do* more now with a cheaper Rebel.
    end user too, Feb 11, 2004
  9. end user too

    Boris Harss Guest

    HiAgain!

    >>Other than the spot metering you get with the EOS 3, all the bells and
    >>whistles are pretty meaningless.

    Nope. You want to set your metering independent of the AF. Also, I want
    a camera to remember, what I set it to when I switched it off last (True
    for the 1x and 3 models). Also, I want Mirror-Lock-Up for Makro/Tripod
    work. Also, I need a cable-release, at least the film Rebels did not
    have one. Finally, a weak one: I do not want the camera to pull the film
    completely into the cardridge after the last frame but leave an end
    stick out (easier for self-development and allows, in case of emergency,
    to switch between two types of film without wasting one roll).

    >> The Rebels seem plastic and flimsy, but
    >>they basically last forever.

    Time will tell. The analog rebels, however, were ok made but could not
    compare wirh the rigidity of a Pro- or even nicer Amateur body. However,
    what is more for me, the *feeling* is annother thing and a decent grip
    plus more weight reduces shake!

    >> If you are not going to shoot a lot of
    >>film, blowing serious money on a film body really doesn't make a lot of
    >>sense and the weight means it might not even be in your bag when you want
    >>it. The Rebel body is well under 400 grams, and having the same AF and
    >>exposure system means that you don't have to think (as much) when you
    >> switch cameras.

    In one word: they are made for Amateurs that do not really want to
    excell in their skills but a little more flexibility than with a
    point-and-shoot.

    > Good point. If I get a EOS x (single digit) I think I can learn more in the
    > long run, but I actually might *do* more now with a cheaper Rebel.

    I think, especally the first is true. For the second, I see no evedence
    (neither way ;-)) )

    Cheers,
    B.
    Boris Harss, Feb 11, 2004
  10. end user too

    Leonard Guest

    Boris Harss wrote:

    [of Rebels]

    > In one word: they are made for Amateurs that do not really want to
    > excell in their skills but a little more flexibility than with a
    > point-and-shoot.

    That's right. People to into shops and think, "Do I really want to
    excel in my skills? Guess not, so I'll buy a Rebel".

    Advantages of the Rebel line over the posh EOS cameras:
    1) Smaller.
    2) Lighter.
    3) Cheaper.
    4) People don't look down on you for having a showoff camera.

    Disadvantages
    1) Not weathersealed. Don't use one in a sandstorm.
    2) Lower framing rate. You'll have to learn to time the shot right.
    3) Fiddly to use - not enough buttons and wheels, don't have CFs.
    4) People look down on you for having a cheap camera.

    - Len
    Leonard, Feb 12, 2004
  11. end user too

    Lisa Horton Guest

    end user too wrote:

    > I bought EF L lenses, 1.4 TC, and 550 flash for my 300D Rebel and now Imp
    > considering adding a film body if I can find one that can perform as good as
    > the Rebel, use all it's accessories, and cost around $300 new or used.
    >
    > Any ideas? I've been looking at the Elan 7E.

    As others have implied, $300 will get you a film body that is better
    than the DRebel. A current film Rebel would be the closest match to
    your DRebel, but for around $300, an Elan 7 or 7e would be a very nice
    camera indeed. The big downside would be that you would likely become
    much more aware of the limitations of the DRebel if your film camera was
    an Elan.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton, Feb 14, 2004