    had any experience of filling their old cartridge with indian ink. Ive
    tried it. Doesnt work. I have a feeling the ink is thicker than the
    regular printer. Perhaps I should try watering it down. The ink that is.

    Troglodyte, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Troglodyte

    Troglodyte Guest

    Troglodyte wrote:

    > heard on fair go that a guy fills his printer cartridge with indian ink.
    > Easily purchased in any stationers. Anyway, I have a cannon that can
    > be refilled. A very old printer, but reliable non the less. Has anyone
    > had any experience of filling their old cartridge with indian ink. Ive
    > tried it. Doesnt work. I have a feeling the ink is thicker than the
    > regular printer. Perhaps I should try watering it down. The ink that is.

    Failing this, does anyone know where you can buy the same ink that is
    used in cannopn printers.

    Troglodyte, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Troglodyte

    theseus Guest

    Troglodyte wrote:
    > Troglodyte wrote:
    >
    >> heard on fair go that a guy fills his printer cartridge with indian
    >> ink. Easily purchased in any stationers. Anyway, I have a cannon
    >> that can
    >> be refilled. A very old printer, but reliable non the less. Has
    >> anyone had any experience of filling their old cartridge with indian
    >> ink. Ive tried it. Doesnt work. I have a feeling the ink is
    >> thicker than the regular printer. Perhaps I should try watering it
    >> down. The ink that is.

    > Failing this, does anyone know where you can buy the same ink that is
    > used in cannopn printers.

    Use the calidad ink from dse or warehouse stationery.
    bubblejet ink is designed with a specific boiling point, viscosity, and
    pigmentation to suit the printhead, and you can easily clog your print head
    irrepairably if any of those factors are wrong.
    If you have tried it it may be too late :-(

    theseus, Aug 23, 2004
  4. Troglodyte

    Troglodyte Guest

    theseus wrote:

    > Troglodyte wrote:
    >
    >>Troglodyte wrote:
    >>

    >>>heard on fair go that a guy fills his printer cartridge with indian
    >>> ink. Easily purchased in any stationers. Anyway, I have a cannon
    >>>that can
    >>>be refilled. A very old printer, but reliable non the less. Has
    >>>anyone had any experience of filling their old cartridge with indian
    >>>ink. Ive tried it. Doesnt work. I have a feeling the ink is
    >>>thicker than the regular printer. Perhaps I should try watering it
    >>>down. The ink that is.

    >>Failing this, does anyone know where you can buy the same ink that is
    >>used in cannopn printers.

    > Use the calidad ink from dse or warehouse stationery.
    > bubblejet ink is designed with a specific boiling point, viscosity, and
    > pigmentation to suit the printhead, and you can easily clog your print head
    > irrepairably if any of those factors are wrong.
    > If you have tried it it may be too late :-(

    Yeah. I tried it. but the head had been refilled a few times anyway.
    By that method. But it was something I just had to try. was at the
    point of buying a new head anyhow as this head, as I say, has been
    refilled a few. Just thought, well, if it works, it works. if it dont
    Im up for a new cartridge anyway as the heads wear out after a few fills

    Troglodyte, Aug 23, 2004
  5. Troglodyte

    Steven H Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:01:13 +1200, Troglodyte wrote:

    > heard on fair go that a guy fills his printer cartridge with indian ink.
    > Easily purchased in any stationers. Anyway, I have a cannon that can
    > be refilled. A very old printer, but reliable non the less. Has anyone
    > had any experience of filling their old cartridge with indian ink. Ive
    > tried it. Doesnt work. I have a feeling the ink is thicker than the
    > regular printer. Perhaps I should try watering it down. The ink that is.

    believe it or not - reflilling cartridges is a very exacting art. there are
    dozens of diffrent types of ink for diffrent types of cartridge & printer
    combination.

    do yourself a favor and take it to the likes of cartridge plus (paper
    plus). at least they know what they are doing.

    besides it doesnt cost you a cent if it dosent work.

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek

    Steven H, Aug 23, 2004
  6. Troglodyte

    Troglodyte Guest

    Steven H wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:01:13 +1200, Troglodyte wrote:
    >

    >>heard on fair go that a guy fills his printer cartridge with indian ink.
    >> Easily purchased in any stationers. Anyway, I have a cannon that can
    >>be refilled. A very old printer, but reliable non the less. Has anyone
    >>had any experience of filling their old cartridge with indian ink. Ive
    >>tried it. Doesnt work. I have a feeling the ink is thicker than the
    >>regular printer. Perhaps I should try watering it down. The ink that is.

    > believe it or not - reflilling cartridges is a very exacting art. there are
    > dozens of diffrent types of ink for diffrent types of cartridge & printer
    > combination.
    >
    > do yourself a favor and take it to the likes of cartridge plus (paper
    > plus). at least they know what they are doing.
    >
    > besides it doesnt cost you a cent if it dosent work.

    Like I said. twas an experiment. I ahve a new cartrige in there I as
    going to get anyway as the heads were on there way out. Been refilled a
    few times. so I just thought I would give it a shot. for futur referenc.

    Troglodyte, Aug 23, 2004
  7. Troglodyte

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Troglodyte said the following on 24/08/2004 10:01:

    > heard on fair go that a guy fills his printer cartridge with indian ink.
    > Easily purchased in any stationers. Anyway, I have a cannon that can

    Go to trademe and buy the aftermarket cartridges there, $9 vs $23 for
    the real job.

    My S400 takes $102 worth of cartridges, I can buy a new SP200 for $95,
    go figure

    Collector_NZ, Aug 23, 2004
  8. Troglodyte

    colinco Guest

    In article Troglodyte says...
    > Like I said. twas an experiment. I ahve a new cartrige in there I as
    > going to get anyway as the heads were on there way out. Been refilled a
    > few times. so I just thought I would give it a shot. for futur referenc.

    What model Canon has printhead on cartridge?

    colinco, Aug 24, 2004
  9. Troglodyte

    J.Wilson Guest

    "Troglodyte" <> wrote in message
    > Troglodyte wrote:
    >
    > > heard on fair go that a guy fills his printer cartridge with indian ink.
    > > Easily purchased in any stationers. Anyway, I have a cannon that can
    > > be refilled. A very old printer, but reliable non the less. Has anyone
    > > had any experience of filling their old cartridge with indian ink. Ive
    > > tried it. Doesnt work. I have a feeling the ink is thicker than the
    > > regular printer. Perhaps I should try watering it down. The ink that

    is.
    > Failing this, does anyone know where you can buy the same ink that is
    > used in cannopn printers.

    http://www.refill.co.nz/index.html

    About six months ago I bought a 250ml bottle of black ink
    suitable for an sp200 for $10.00 from this place. I think
    he brings it in from America. He said at the time he might
    have the colours available soon for approx $20.00.

    J.Wilson, Aug 24, 2004
  10. Troglodyte

    John S. Guest

    Troglodyte <> wrote:

    >Troglodyte wrote:
    >
    >> heard on fair go that a guy fills his printer cartridge with indian ink.
    >> Easily purchased in any stationers. Anyway, I have a cannon that can
    >> be refilled. A very old printer, but reliable non the less. Has anyone
    >> had any experience of filling their old cartridge with indian ink. Ive
    >> tried it. Doesnt work. I have a feeling the ink is thicker than the
    >> regular printer. Perhaps I should try watering it down. The ink that is.

    >Failing this, does anyone know where you can buy the same ink that is
    >used in cannopn printers.

    I have a good supply of ink refill kits, but only suited to the
    Canon BC01 or BC02 cartridges.

    A year or two back I bought a carton full of refill kits from an
    electronic wholesaler who was clearing out his stock, and have
    enough ink to last me the life of my printer I guess.

    I recommend two precautions if you want to keep successfully
    filling the same cartridge time and again:-

    1) Don't let the cartridge run out (otherwise air gets into the
    little bubble forming chambers and seems to shorten the life of
    the cartridge dramatically).
    By the time the cartridge stops printing it has already run out
    of ink, so you need to refill whilst it is still printing OK.

    2) Don't overfill a cartridge (otherwise it can be a difficult
    and messy job to get the cartridge printing properly afterwards).

    These cartridges weigh about 35 grammes empty, so I check my
    printer cartridge on my wife's electronic kitchen scales
    periodically. When the cartridge gets down to about 40 grammes I
    put 10 mls (10 grammes) of ink in. So the cartridge will always
    be somewhere between nearly empty and nearly full.

    If you want to try out the ink I use I could let you have a
    couple of kits (each kit contains two plastic reservoirs, each
    holding about 25 ml of ink, plus a gadget for removing the
    cartridge stopper plug, plus instructions).

    You can have 2 kits for $20, including Nth Island postage, and
    that will give you approx 100 mls of ink, or about 6+ refills of
    a BC10 or BC20 cartridge.

    No good of course if you have a different type of cartridge (eg
    won't be satisfactory on the larger BC20 cartridge).

    Cheers, John S

    John S., Aug 24, 2004
  11. In <> colinco wrote:

    > In article Troglodyte says...

    >> Like I said. twas an experiment. I ahve a new cartrige in there I
    >> as going to get anyway as the heads were on there way out. Been
    >> refilled a few times. so I just thought I would give it a shot.
    >> for futur referenc.

    > What model Canon has printhead on cartridge?

    The BC02, BC03 and BC05 cartridges had the heads built in. AFAIK, this
    covers the BJC-1000 and probably the BJC-2xx series among others.

    The BC20, which was a black only cartridge suitable for the BJC-2xxx,
    also had a built in head. Whilst the BJC-2000 and BJC-2100 took black
    and colour cartridges with the print head as a seperate unit, this print
    head could be removed and replaced with the BC20 in situations where
    only black printing was required.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    http://www.alastair.net.nz

    Alastair McAllister, Aug 24, 2004
  12. In <> John S. wrote:

    > Troglodyte <> wrote:

    >>Failing this, does anyone know where you can buy the same ink that is
    >>used in cannopn printers.

    > I have a good supply of ink refill kits, but only suited to the
    > Canon BC01 or BC02 cartridges.

    <snip>
    > 1) Don't let the cartridge run out (otherwise air gets into the
    > little bubble forming chambers and seems to shorten the life of
    > the cartridge dramatically).

    This is related more to the heating coils in the print head. Thermal
    extraction inkjets (i.e. HP, Canon and Lexmark) heat the ink in order to
    cause it to expand. When the cartridge is empty, this can cause the
    heating coils to fail. As an analogy, consider what happens to your jug
    if you try to boil it when there is no water in it.

    Alastair McAllister, Aug 24, 2004
  13. In article <> in nz.comp on Tue, 24 Aug 2004
    10:01:13 +1200, Troglodyte <> says...
    > heard on fair go that a guy fills his printer cartridge with indian ink.
    > Easily purchased in any stationers. Anyway, I have a cannon that can
    > be refilled. A very old printer, but reliable non the less. Has anyone
    > had any experience of filling their old cartridge with indian ink. Ive
    > tried it. Doesnt work. I have a feeling the ink is thicker than the
    > regular printer. Perhaps I should try watering it down. The ink that is.

    You must be kidding.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 24, 2004
  14. Troglodyte

    Troglodyte Guest

    John S. wrote:
    > Troglodyte <> wrote:
    >

    >>Troglodyte wrote:
    >>

    >>>heard on fair go that a guy fills his printer cartridge with indian ink.
    >>> Easily purchased in any stationers. Anyway, I have a cannon that can
    >>>be refilled. A very old printer, but reliable non the less. Has anyone
    >>>had any experience of filling their old cartridge with indian ink. Ive
    >>>tried it. Doesnt work. I have a feeling the ink is thicker than the
    >>>regular printer. Perhaps I should try watering it down. The ink that is.

    >>Failing this, does anyone know where you can buy the same ink that is
    >>used in cannopn printers.

    > I have a good supply of ink refill kits, but only suited to the
    > Canon BC01 or BC02 cartridges.
    >
    > A year or two back I bought a carton full of refill kits from an
    > electronic wholesaler who was clearing out his stock, and have
    > enough ink to last me the life of my printer I guess.
    >
    > I recommend two precautions if you want to keep successfully
    > filling the same cartridge time and again:-
    >
    > 1) Don't let the cartridge run out (otherwise air gets into the
    > little bubble forming chambers and seems to shorten the life of
    > the cartridge dramatically).
    > By the time the cartridge stops printing it has already run out
    > of ink, so you need to refill whilst it is still printing OK.
    >
    > 2) Don't overfill a cartridge (otherwise it can be a difficult
    > and messy job to get the cartridge printing properly afterwards).
    >
    > These cartridges weigh about 35 grammes empty, so I check my
    > printer cartridge on my wife's electronic kitchen scales
    > periodically. When the cartridge gets down to about 40 grammes I
    > put 10 mls (10 grammes) of ink in. So the cartridge will always
    > be somewhere between nearly empty and nearly full.
    >
    > If you want to try out the ink I use I could let you have a
    > couple of kits (each kit contains two plastic reservoirs, each
    > holding about 25 ml of ink, plus a gadget for removing the
    > cartridge stopper plug, plus instructions).
    >
    > You can have 2 kits for $20, including Nth Island postage, and
    > that will give you approx 100 mls of ink, or about 6+ refills of
    > a BC10 or BC20 cartridge.
    >
    > No good of course if you have a different type of cartridge (eg
    > won't be satisfactory on the larger BC20 cartridge).
    >
    > Cheers, John S

    that cool john. thanks. I had the cartridge for some time and have
    already filled the thing several times with those refill packs you can
    get from paperlus for around 12 bucks. I knew that the heads on the
    cartridge were getting shonky, due to the refills and I thought well, Im
    gonna need a new cartridge anyhow so I will try this indian ink idea.
    Didnt work. think the ink is too thick. Cartrige is stuffed now as its
    blocked but thats no matter anyhow as I need a new cartridge. And Ill
    use the refills for 12 bucks. lol

    Troglodyte, Aug 24, 2004