    investing effort in either if there is something better out there at
    reasonable price. Thanks
    Regards, Dennis

    DB4, Jul 30, 2006

  2. DB4

    jeremy Guest

    "DB4" <> wrote in message
    news:C0F2C8FB.4E69%...
    > Having built up a moderate collection of digital pics on my hard drive
    > (shortly to increase exponentialy having just bought a Nikon D70) I have
    > realised the need to begin getting my house in order before things start
    > get out of hand. However, I'm not sure what sort of filing convention to
    > adopt?
    >
    > My first thought was to sort pics into different folders (landscapes,
    > portraits, etc) with a type/date/time naming convention but inevitably
    > some
    > pics will overlap type (people in landscapes for example). What
    > methodologies do others out there use? Also, what cataloging software is
    > the preffered option under Mac OSX. I have iPhoto and the Nikon supplied
    > Picture Project (very similar applications) but I'm reluctant to begin
    > investing effort in either if there is something better out there at
    > reasonable price. Thanks
    > Regards, Dennis

    Even if you develop a naming convention, as many of us already have, it will
    share a disadvantage common to all of our little systems--it will be unique
    to you. There are no standards.

    My own filing system is strictly chronological. I have directories set up
    by year, with subdirectories set up by month ("01 January," "02 February,"
    "03 March," etc.) I name my photos with the date and the main subject
    (20060729 Christina 11th Birthday Party).

    This system would not work if there were multiple photographers, each taking
    photos at the same times. It has its flaws. But I can find a photo just by
    looking for the approximate date that I took it. Too many photos have more
    than one heading like "Summer Vacation" AND "Montreal." What do I file that
    under? At least the date is one identifier that is common to every single
    shot. I let my software catalog the keywords.

    The biggest drawback of setting up a filing system is trying to change it
    down the road, after you've already filed all your shots according to a
    given system. Good luck.

    jeremy, Jul 30, 2006

  3. DB4

    Jim Guest

    "DB4" <> wrote in message
    > Having built up a moderate collection of digital pics on my hard drive
    > (shortly to increase exponentialy having just bought a Nikon D70) I have
    > realised the need to begin getting my house in order before things start
    > get out of hand. However, I'm not sure what sort of filing convention to
    > adopt?
    >
    > My first thought was to sort pics into different folders (landscapes,
    > portraits, etc) with a type/date/time naming convention but inevitably
    > some
    > pics will overlap type (people in landscapes for example). What
    > methodologies do others out there use? Also, what cataloging software is
    > the preffered option under Mac OSX. I have iPhoto and the Nikon supplied
    > Picture Project (very similar applications) but I'm reluctant to begin
    > investing effort in either if there is something better out there at
    > reasonable price. Thanks
    > Regards, Dennis

    Name your files in a manner which enables you to find a photo reasonably
    conveniently. That is all there is to this issue.
    Jim

    Jim, Jul 30, 2006
  4. "DB4" <> wrote in message

    > Having built up a moderate collection of digital pics on my hard drive
    > (shortly to increase exponentialy having just bought a Nikon D70) I have
    > realised the need to begin getting my house in order before things start
    > get out of hand. However, I'm not sure what sort of filing convention to
    > adopt?
    >
    > My first thought was to sort pics into different folders (landscapes,
    > portraits, etc) with a type/date/time naming convention but inevitably
    > some
    > pics will overlap type (people in landscapes for example). What
    > methodologies do others out there use? Also, what cataloging software is
    > the preffered option under Mac OSX. I have iPhoto and the Nikon supplied
    > Picture Project (very similar applications) but I'm reluctant to begin
    > investing effort in either if there is something better out there at
    > reasonable price. Thanks

    I just leave my nefs with their original name, but rename the folder that
    nikon view (or Picture project, but Nikon view is far better :)) creates.

    The bulk of my nefs never even get to be converted and used, and usuaully
    just get archived to dvd.

    Any good nefs get converted to a tif, which I can then resize or print as
    required, but I always leave the unique 4 digit number created by the camera
    untouched. Once I have over 10k nefs I will need to rethink as I will start
    to get duplicate numbers.

    Adrian Boliston, Jul 30, 2006
  5. DB4

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:38:31 +0100
    "Adrian Boliston" <> wrote:

    > "DB4" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Having built up a moderate collection of digital pics on my hard
    > > drive (shortly to increase exponentialy having just bought a Nikon
    > > D70) I have realised the need to begin getting my house in order
    > > before things start to
    > > get out of hand. However, I'm not sure what sort of filing
    > > convention to adopt?
    > >
    > > My first thought was to sort pics into different folders
    > > (landscapes, portraits, etc) with a type/date/time naming
    > > convention but inevitably some
    > > pics will overlap type (people in landscapes for example). What
    > > methodologies do others out there use? Also, what cataloging
    > > software is the preffered option under Mac OSX. I have iPhoto and
    > > the Nikon supplied Picture Project (very similar applications) but
    > > I'm reluctant to begin investing effort in either if there is
    > > something better out there at reasonable price. Thanks

    > I just leave my nefs with their original name, but rename the folder
    > that nikon view (or Picture project, but Nikon view is far
    > better :)) creates.
    >
    > The bulk of my nefs never even get to be converted and used, and
    > usuaully just get archived to dvd.
    >
    > Any good nefs get converted to a tif, which I can then resize or
    > print as required, but I always leave the unique 4 digit number
    > created by the camera untouched. Once I have over 10k nefs I will
    > need to rethink as I will start to get duplicate numbers.

    I do something similar. Batches of related images come off the
    camera into their own directory, so name collisions never happen.
    I never change the filename the camera assigned, although I do
    add one-letter suffixes to modified versions. My image database
    currently uses filename and EXIF timestamp to uniquely identify
    images. I'm thinking about using a checksum or hash of the image
    data instead of the timestamp, but that's way down on my to-do
    list. :)

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Jul 30, 2006
  6. DB4

    Bill K Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:
    > "DB4" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Having built up a moderate collection of digital pics on my hard drive
    > > (shortly to increase exponentialy having just bought a Nikon D70) I have
    > > realised the need to begin getting my house in order before things start
    > > get out of hand. However, I'm not sure what sort of filing convention to
    > > adopt?
    > >
    > > My first thought was to sort pics into different folders (landscapes,
    > > portraits, etc) with a type/date/time naming convention but inevitably
    > > some
    > > pics will overlap type (people in landscapes for example). What
    > > methodologies do others out there use? Also, what cataloging software is
    > > the preffered option under Mac OSX. I have iPhoto and the Nikon supplied
    > > Picture Project (very similar applications) but I'm reluctant to begin
    > > investing effort in either if there is something better out there at
    > > reasonable price. Thanks

    > I just leave my nefs with their original name, but rename the folder that
    > nikon view (or Picture project, but Nikon view is far better :)) creates.
    >
    > The bulk of my nefs never even get to be converted and used, and usuaully
    > just get archived to dvd.
    >
    > Any good nefs get converted to a tif, which I can then resize or print as
    > required, but I always leave the unique 4 digit number created by the camera
    > untouched. Once I have over 10k nefs I will need to rethink as I will start
    > to get duplicate numbers.

    Adrian,
    I haven't heard of Nikon View. Is it available for download from
    Nikon's website? What are the advantages over Picture Project?

    Thanks,
    --
    Bill in Lake Charles

    Bill K, Jul 31, 2006
  7. DB4

    mickiedee Guest

    DB4 wrote:
    > Having built up a moderate collection of digital pics on my hard drive
    > (shortly to increase exponentialy having just bought a Nikon D70) I have
    > realised the need to begin getting my house in order before things start to
    > get out of hand. However, I'm not sure what sort of filing convention to
    > adopt?
    >
    > My first thought was to sort pics into different folders (landscapes,
    > portraits, etc) with a type/date/time naming convention but inevitably some
    > pics will overlap type (people in landscapes for example). What
    > methodologies do others out there use? Also, what cataloging software is
    > the preffered option under Mac OSX. I have iPhoto and the Nikon supplied
    > Picture Project (very similar applications) but I'm reluctant to begin
    > investing effort in either if there is something better out there at
    > reasonable price. Thanks
    > Regards, Dennis

    If you use a program like elements or microsoft photo suite, they come
    with a very good organizer that you can put your pictures under certian
    tabs. Lets say I want a picture of my son in the water on a camping
    trip. I click camping .. son and river and it will bring up all the
    pictures with those three settings. I can also sort by ranking and
    date. You can mix and match all of them.

    mickiedee, Jul 31, 2006
  8. DB4

    l v Guest

    DB4 wrote:
    > Having built up a moderate collection of digital pics on my hard drive
    > (shortly to increase exponentialy having just bought a Nikon D70) I have
    > realised the need to begin getting my house in order before things start to
    > get out of hand. However, I'm not sure what sort of filing convention to
    > adopt?
    >
    > My first thought was to sort pics into different folders (landscapes,
    > portraits, etc) with a type/date/time naming convention but inevitably some
    > pics will overlap type (people in landscapes for example). What
    > methodologies do others out there use? Also, what cataloging software is
    > the preffered option under Mac OSX. I have iPhoto and the Nikon supplied
    > Picture Project (very similar applications) but I'm reluctant to begin
    > investing effort in either if there is something better out there at
    > reasonable price. Thanks
    > Regards, Dennis

    All my images go into a folders named by year_month_day based on the
    photo's EXIF date. I also rename the photo using the photo's EXIF year
    from ZZZ_0001.ext to EXIFyear_0001.ext and reset the camera's number
    sequence at the beginning of each year. Therefore, I should not have
    any duplicate file names.

    I then update the IPTC keywords with relevant subject information.
    This keeps the subject data with the image and not dependent on the
    file name. It also allows for multiple headings or keywords (people in
    landscapes for example).

    I was just down at the book store and found a book titled "Digital
    Asset Management for Photographers". I found it quite interesting and
    I am considering purchasing it.

    I don't use a Mac so I can't help you there.

    --

    Len

    l v, Jul 31, 2006
  9. DB4

    DB4 Guest

    Thanks mickidee - which version of elements has this functionality?

    On 31/7/06 01:28, in article
    , "mickiedee"

    DB4, Jul 31, 2006