    network love.

    Any thoughts??

    the Idiot

    =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=, Mar 31, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    george Guest

    "village idiot" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Searched old posts, ran every wizard I could find, checked out other
    > wireless
    > setup sites...no avail.
    >
    > I've set up a wireless entwork with 2 laptops and a wireless router
    > (Neither
    > is directly connected to the router). Both are in the same workgroup.
    > I've
    > enabled Folder and File sharing on both. I can see the other computer
    > (say
    > computer A) under "my network places" on computer B, but when I click to
    > expand I get a "unable to access, if the problem persists speak with the
    > network administrator..." box. I can't see the folders / drive that I've
    > shared anywhere (I'm assuming it would be under "My network places" or
    > somewhere in "My Computer" or even "My shared Documents" but so far, no
    > network love.
    >
    > Any thoughts??
    >
    > the Idiot

    have you got the same useraccount/password combos defined on both machines?
    that should do it.

    george

    george, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Good idea (but ultimately unsuccessful)I tried this last night without
    success (I actually did have the same usernames (both as administrators) but
    different passwords). Changed the password, still unable to share anything
    but misery.

    The error message I get says the path (to the other computer) is not
    available.
    could this be fixed by specifying an IP for both computers or can I leave
    them to "find IP automatically"

    the Idiot

    =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=, Apr 1, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    george Guest

    inline

    > Good idea (but ultimately unsuccessful)I tried this last night without
    > success (I actually did have the same usernames (both as administrators)
    > but
    > different passwords). Changed the password, still unable to share
    > anything
    > but misery.
    >
    > The error message I get says the path (to the other computer) is not
    > available.
    > could this be fixed by specifying an IP for both computers or can I leave
    > them to "find IP automatically"

    manually setting an IP address (in the same subnet!) for both systems is
    never a bad idea, at least you'll always *know* who's who, but shouldn't
    make that much difference.
    If you leave it on automatic your DHCP solution should normally provide
    correct addresses too.
    Even without a DHCP solution, you'll still get valid addresses to
    communicate between the two, both in the 169.254.x.y range

    What you could additionally try is go into Windows Explorer (on both),
    Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck the 'Simple File Sharing' at the
    bottom of the list.
    That way the connection to the other machine will be made using the
    account/password combo you are working with on the first.

    hth

    george

    george, Apr 1, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Luap wrote:

    > george wrote:
    >

    >> What you could additionally try is go into Windows Explorer (on
    >> both), Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck the 'Simple File
    >> Sharing' at the bottom of the list.

    > What is this "simple file sharing" supposed to achieve?
    > Lua

    Here is an MS article about simple sharing:

    http://tinyurl.com/362g6

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Apr 2, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    Luap Guest

    Luap, Apr 2, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Luap wrote:

    > Hi Malke.
    > While I find your help very kind, the links you post have so far
    > failed to get me no further than "Googling". Sure, I expect to do a
    > lot of my own leg work but my idea of asking here is to cutdown said
    > legwork. This last link just had me running around in circles.
    > Regards,
    > Lua

    I can't imagine why. You asked what Simple Sharing was and I gave you a
    link to a Microsoft article describing Simple Sharing. I'm not sure
    what else you want to know. For more in-depth information about file
    sharing in Windows, here are more links which explain the whole
    process.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    (Pro)

    If you have more specific questions, then ask them.

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 2, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    Luap Guest

    Luap, Apr 2, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    Luap Guest

    Malke wrote:
    > Luap wrote:
    >

    >>george wrote:
    >>

    >>>What you could additionally try is go into Windows Explorer (on
    >>>both), Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck the 'Simple File
    >>>Sharing' at the bottom of the list.

    >>What is this "simple file sharing" supposed to achieve?
    >>Lua

    > Here is an MS article about simple sharing:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/362g6
    >
    > Malke

    The tiny URL took me to:
    http://www.microsoft.com/library/sh...indows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/deeptreeconfig.xml

    which doesn't obviously have anything about simple file sharing.

    Lua

    Luap, Apr 3, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    george Guest

    "Luap" <> wrote in message news:424fba80$...
    > Malke wrote:
    >> Luap wrote:

    >>>What is this "simple file sharing" supposed to achieve?
    >>>Lua

    >> Here is an MS article about simple sharing:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/362g6
    >>
    >> Malke

    > The tiny URL took me to:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/library/sh...indows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/deeptreeconfig.xml
    >
    > which doesn't obviously have anything about simple file sharing.
    >
    > Lua

    Not to be too obnoxious, but I'm not sure how you use your system.

    When I click on the link provided here is the first information provided on
    the page it takes me to:

    Simple Sharing and ForceGuest
    When a Windows XP Professional-based computer is not joined to a domain, the
    simple sharing model is fundamentally different than the model used in
    previous versions of Windows. By default, all users logging on to such
    computers over the network are forced to use the Guest account; this is
    called ForceGuest.

    </snip>

    How does that *NOT* have anything to do with simple file sharing?

    george

    george, Apr 3, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    george Guest

    "Luap" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Luap wrote:
    >> george wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Luap" <> wrote in message

    >>> Not to be too obnoxious, but I'm not sure how you use your system.
    >>>
    >>> When I click on the link provided here is the first information provided
    >>> on the page it takes me to:
    >>>
    >>> Simple Sharing and ForceGuest
    >>> When a Windows XP Professional-based computer is not joined to a domain,
    >>> the simple sharing model is fundamentally different than the model used
    >>> in previous versions of Windows. By default, all users logging on to
    >>> such computers over the network are forced to use the Guest account;
    >>> this is called ForceGuest.
    >>>
    >>> </snip>
    >>>
    >>> How does that *NOT* have anything to do with simple file sharing?
    >>>

    >>> george

    >> Hi George.
    >> I didn't get this info when I clicked the link. I get a page that looks
    >> like this:
    >>
    >> Windows XP Professional Resource Kit
    >> Introduction
    >> Part I Deployment
    >> Part I Deployment
    >> Part II Desktop Management
    >> Part II Desktop Management
    >> Part III Security
    >> Part III Security
    >> Part IV Networking
    >> Part IV Networking
    >> Part V Interoperability
    >> Part V Interoperability
    >> Part VI System Troubleshooting
    >> Part VI System Troubleshooting
    >> Part VII Appendices
    >> Part VII Appendices
    >> Glossary
    >>

    >> Now without being too rude back, what has that got to do with simple
    >> filesharing?
    >>
    >> lua

    > The above are links - and I get the same page in both IE and Firefox.

    OK.

    Then try this one. It is the actual link 'behind' tinyurl and will certainly
    wrap.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_ypuh.asp

    hope you get there now..

    george

    george, Apr 3, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    Luap Guest

    Luap, Apr 3, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    Luap Guest

    Luap wrote:
    > george wrote:
    >
    >> "Luap" <> wrote in message

    >>> The tiny URL took me to:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/library/sh...indows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/deeptreeconfig.xml
    >>>

    >>> which doesn't obviously have anything about simple file sharing.
    >>>
    >>> Lua

    >> Not to be too obnoxious, but I'm not sure how you use your system.
    >>
    >> When I click on the link provided here is the first information
    >> provided on the page it takes me to:
    >>
    >> Simple Sharing and ForceGuest
    >> When a Windows XP Professional-based computer is not joined to a
    >> domain, the simple sharing model is fundamentally different than the
    >> model used in previous versions of Windows. By default, all users
    >> logging on to such computers over the network are forced to use the
    >> Guest account; this is called ForceGuest.
    >>
    >> </snip>
    >>
    >> How does that *NOT* have anything to do with simple file sharing?
    >>

    >> george

    > Hi George.
    > I didn't get this info when I clicked the link. I get a page that looks
    > like this:
    >
    > Windows XP Professional Resource Kit
    > Introduction
    > Part I Deployment
    > Part I Deployment
    > Part II Desktop Management
    > Part II Desktop Management
    > Part III Security
    > Part III Security
    > Part IV Networking
    > Part IV Networking
    > Part V Interoperability
    > Part V Interoperability
    > Part VI System Troubleshooting
    > Part VI System Troubleshooting
    > Part VII Appendices
    > Part VII Appendices
    > Glossary
    >

    > Now without being too rude back, what has that got to do with simple
    > filesharing?
    >
    > lua

    And I have just tried IE and get the same.

    Luap, Apr 3, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    Luap Guest

    Luap, Apr 3, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    Luap Guest

    george wrote:
    > "Luap" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>Luap wrote:

    >>>Hi George.
    >>>I didn't get this info when I clicked the link. I get a page that looks
    >>>like this:
    >>>
    >>>Windows XP Professional Resource Kit
    >>>Introduction
    >>>Part I Deployment
    >>>Part I Deployment
    >>>Part II Desktop Management
    >>>Part II Desktop Management
    >>>Part III Security
    >>>Part III Security
    >>>Part IV Networking
    >>>Part IV Networking
    >>>Part V Interoperability
    >>>Part V Interoperability
    >>>Part VI System Troubleshooting
    >>>Part VI System Troubleshooting
    >>>Part VII Appendices
    >>>Part VII Appendices
    >>>Glossary
    >>>

    >>>Now without being too rude back, what has that got to do with simple
    >>>filesharing?
    >>>
    >>>lua

    >>The above are links - and I get the same page in both IE and Firefox.

    > OK.
    >
    > Then try this one. It is the actual link 'behind' tinyurl and will certainly
    > wrap.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_ypuh.asp
    >
    > hope you get there now..
    >
    > george

    Thanks, I got it (I had to turn my proxy off). Before I was getting to
    this URL:
    http://www.microsoft.com/library/sh...indows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/deeptreeconfig.xml,
    which as you will see, is different from the one I clicked on/pasted.
    Lua

    Luap, Apr 4, 2005