Files Visible Over WiFi and Hard-Wired, But Won't Open Over WiFi?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by (PeteCresswell), Dec 27, 2008.

  1. My laptop (Asus 901, XP Pro) can see files on another PC (Linux
    box).

    What's more it can see them over WiFi and over hard-wired
    Ethernet (WiFi controller turned off).

    It can open small image (.png) files either way

    Windows MediaPlayer can open large .mpg files either way - albeit
    way jerkily via WiFi.

    But another Windows app, MythTv Player 0.4.2, cannot.

    One diff is that the problem app is going against an SQL AnyWhere
    DB instead of directly to the .mpgs.

    Can anybody suggest a reason for the diff? Seems like there's
    something tb config'd in the WiFi connection. Some protocol?

    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Dec 27, 2008

  2. The WiFi is completely irrelevant and has nothing to do with the problem.

    The WiFi is nothing more than the transport medium,...it has nothing to do
    with the access methods, or access controls.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Dec 29, 2008

  3. Hi
    Could be that the functional "Speed" the WIFI is too low for the tasks that
    you are trying.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 29, 2008