Files to save

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Stubby, Oct 7, 2006.

  1. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Chalky wrote:
    > My PC is giving signs of nearing the end of its life after 5 years.What if
    > any firefox files should I save to install on new computer if and when it
    > comes about.

    Let me take a crack at this one.
    You can always install the latest Firefox by down loading it from the
    net. Each of your users have personal data held in their profiles.
    This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application Data
    Stubby, Oct 7, 2006

  2. Stubby

    Timo Salmi Guest

    Stubby <> wrote:
    > Chalky wrote:
    >> What if any firefox files should I save to install on new
    >> computer if and when it comes about.

    > This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application Data

    Far too broad for the Firefox transfer

    C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default

    But if one wants to transfer the profiles of all one's programs, then.

    All the best, Timo

    Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    mailto: <http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/> ; FIN-65101, Finland
    Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html
    Timo Salmi, Oct 7, 2006

  3. Stubby

    Chalky Guest

    --
    ***************
    ___,

    / \ Chalky
    ***************
    Chalky, Oct 8, 2006
  4. Stubby

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Timo Salmi* wrote:
    > Stubby <> wrote:
    >> Chalky wrote:
    >>> What if any firefox files should I save to install on new
    >>> computer if and when it comes about.

    >> This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application Data

    > Far too broad for the Firefox transfer
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default
    >
    > But if one wants to transfer the profiles of all one's programs, then.
    >
    > All the best, Timo

    OT, but I can't help it. :)
    I notice that you (Timo and Stubby) are really clever guys, you can post
    replies to Chalky a day *before* he posted his message. :D

    From: Chalky
    Date: 8 Oct 2006 07:54:22 -0400

    From: Stubby
    Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:59:28 -0400

    From: Timo Salmi
    Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:31:50 +0300

    Or is there something I don't understand about the date and times? ;)

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Arne wrote:
    > Once upon a time *Timo Salmi* wrote:
    >> Stubby <> wrote:
    >>> This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application Data

    >> Far too broad for the Firefox transfer
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
    >> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default
    >>
    >> But if one wants to transfer the profiles of all one's programs, then.
    >>
    >> All the best, Timo
    >>

    > OT, but I can't help it. :)
    > I notice that you (Timo and Stubby) are really clever guys, you can post
    > replies to Chalky a day *before* he posted his message. :D
    >
    > From: Chalky
    > Date: 8 Oct 2006 07:54:22 -0400
    >
    > From: Stubby
    > Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:59:28 -0400
    >
    > From: Timo Salmi
    > Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:31:50 +0300
    >
    > Or is there something I don't understand about the date and times? ;)

    Chalky's computer is near the end, and I guess the clock is the first
    thing to go! ;)

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 11, 2006
  6. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Arne wrote:
    > Once upon a time *Timo Salmi* wrote:
    >> Stubby <> wrote:
    >>> This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application Data

    >> Far too broad for the Firefox transfer
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
    >> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default
    >>
    >> But if one wants to transfer the profiles of all one's programs, then.
    >>
    >> All the best, Timo
    >>

    > OT, but I can't help it. :)
    > I notice that you (Timo and Stubby) are really clever guys, you can post
    > replies to Chalky a day *before* he posted his message. :D
    >
    > From: Chalky
    > Date: 8 Oct 2006 07:54:22 -0400
    >
    > From: Stubby
    > Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:59:28 -0400
    >
    > From: Timo Salmi
    > Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:31:50 +0300
    >
    > Or is there something I don't understand about the date and times? ;)

    I believe my clock is set correctly. I use Atomic Clock Sync to set it
    once a day from NIST. --Stubby
    Stubby, Oct 11, 2006
  7. Stubby

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Timo Salmi wrote:
    > Stubby <> wrote:
    >> Chalky wrote:
    >>> What if any firefox files should I save to install on new computer if
    >>> and when it comes about.

    >> This is what you need to save. Its in Doc&Settings\<user>\Application
    >> Data

    > Far too broad for the Firefox transfer
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default
    >
    > But if one wants to transfer the profiles of all one's programs, then.
    >
    > All the best, Timo

    Best to omit the cache from the profile backup as it can be very large.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Oct 11, 2006
  8. Stubby

    Timo Salmi Guest

    Arne <> wrote:
    > OT, but I can't help it. :) I notice that you (Timo and Stubby) are
    > really clever guys, you can post replies to Chalky a day *before* he
    > posted his message. :D

    Besides our obvious cleverness :) it shows that Chalky's computer's
    clock's time is off. If one is running an XP and has a net connection,
    it is easy to have the PC periodically to adjust the date/time from a
    time server. Alternatively one can use

    58736 Sep 5 2002 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/win95/dosshell/cmdtime.zip
    cmdtime.zip Synchronize PC clock from Internet servers, fw, J.Gerasimov

    In using Thunderbird or some other email/newsreader program it is
    sensible to have the computer's date/time set correctly.

    Timo Salmi, Oct 12, 2006
  9. Stubby

    Timo Salmi Guest

    Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > Timo Salmi wrote:
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default

    > Best to omit the cache from the profile backup as it can be very
    > large.

    Quite so. Before such a backup it is good to do two at least things
    1) Empty the cache
    2) Exit Firefox

    Personally I use WZZIP to zip my profile on my backups (with paths
    included). It is relatively easy to write a CLI (command line interface)
    script that routinely omits adding the cache into the zip file.

    All the best, Timo

    Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    mailto: <http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/> ; FIN-65101, Finland
    Useful script files and tricks ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip
    Timo Salmi, Oct 12, 2006
  10. Stubby

    Ian Whyte Guest

    This one posted with Outlook express which I do not use.
    "Chalky" <> wrote in message
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    >
    > > Arne wrote:

    > >> OT, but I can't help it. :)
    > >> I notice that you (Timo and Stubby) are really clever guys, you can
    > >> post replies to Chalky a day *before* he posted his message. :D
    > >>
    > >> From: Chalky
    > >> Date: 8 Oct 2006 07:54:22 -0400
    > >>
    > >> From: Stubby
    > >> Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:59:28 -0400
    > >>
    > >> From: Timo Salmi
    > >> Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:31:50 +0300
    > >>
    > >> Or is there something I don't understand about the date and times?

    ;)

    > > Chalky's computer is near the end, and I guess the clock is the

    first
    > > thing to go! ;)
    > >
    > > Lee
    > >

    > My clock is perfect, I also use an Atomic clock.The time and date put

    on

    Ian Whyte, Oct 12, 2006
  11. On 10/12/2006 11:38 PM, Chalky wrote:
    > Chalky <> wrote in news:452f17d7
    > @news.greennet.net:
    >> My clock is perfect, I also use an Atomic clock.The time and date put
    >> on
    >> my post somehow was the next day. It has never happened before.I am
    >> posting this @ 05.40 on 12 October just to see if it does it again.
    >>

    > See it has posted the date as Fri 13

    Erm, my newsreader sees the date of your message as on the 12th.

    --
    Mumia W.

    This is a temporary e-mail to help me catch some s-p*รก/m.
    Mumia W. (reading news), Oct 12, 2006
  12. Stubby

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Mumia W. (reading news)* wrote:
    > On 10/12/2006 11:38 PM, Chalky wrote:
    >> Chalky <> wrote in news:452f17d7
    >> @news.greennet.net:
    >>> My clock is perfect, I also use an Atomic clock.The time and date put
    >>> on
    >>> my post somehow was the next day. It has never happened before.I am
    >>> posting this @ 05.40 on 12 October just to see if it does it again.
    >>>

    >> See it has posted the date as Fri 13
    >>

    > Erm, my newsreader sees the date of your message as on the 12th.

    According to the header, Chalky's post above is posted "13 Oct 2006
    00:38:29 -0400". My newsreader says "2006-10-13 06:38" local time.

    Your post above have the date and time "Thu, 12 Oct 2006 05:36:25 GMT"
    but the NNTP-Posting-Date says "Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:36:25 PDT". My
    newsreader says "2006-10-12 07:36" local time (GMT +2:00 at this moment
    with 1 hr DST)

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Oct 12, 2006
  13. Stubby

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Timo Salmi wrote:
    > Arne <> wrote:
    >> OT, but I can't help it. :) I notice that you (Timo and Stubby) are
    >> really clever guys, you can post replies to Chalky a day *before* he
    >> posted his message. :D

    > Besides our obvious cleverness :) it shows that Chalky's computer's
    > clock's time is off. If one is running an XP and has a net connection,
    > it is easy to have the PC periodically to adjust the date/time from a
    > time server. Alternatively one can use
    >
    > 58736 Sep 5 2002 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/win95/dosshell/cmdtime.zip
    > cmdtime.zip Synchronize PC clock from Internet servers, fw, J.Gerasimov
    >
    > In using Thunderbird or some other email/newsreader program it is
    > sensible to have the computer's date/time set correctly.
    >
    > All the best, Timo

    There are also a couple of tweaks to the default WXP time-sync feature
    that you can use. See: http://edmullen.net/utility.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net