Files locked out by another process?????????????

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Apr 21, 2013.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > I have a BAT file that calls QBX afile.BAS which reads INFILE and
    > writes OUT1 and OUT2 and closes them, and i exit QBX.
    > I go to edit ANY of these and they are F-ing locked by another process.
    > How in the F can i find what GD process is involved?
    > The only way i have found to unlock them,is turn the computer
    > completely OFF; a PITA and then some.

    Sysinternals Handle may be able to tell you. It could be the program
    you thought you'd quit, was still running, in which case you'd check
    the Task Manager. The files could show up as still owned by QBX,
    or perhaps your AV program is accessing the files.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655

    Paul

    Robert Baer, Apr 21, 2013

  3. Paul

    VanguardLH Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> I have a BAT file that calls QBX afile.BAS which reads INFILE and
    >> writes OUT1 and OUT2 and closes them, and i exit QBX. I go to edit
    >> ANY of these and they are F-ing locked by another process. How in
    >> the F can i find what GD process is involved? The only way i have
    >> found to unlock them,is turn the computer completely OFF; a PITA
    >> and then some.

    > Sysinternals Handle may be able to tell you. It could be the
    > program you thought you'd quit, was still running, in which case
    > you'd check the Task Manager. The files could show up as still
    > owned by QBX, or perhaps your AV program is accessing the files.
    >
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655

    Another would be Unlocker; however, under Vista+ I found the
    auto-detect feature doesn't work but you can still right-click on the
    file to unlock it. The OP never mentioned what OS he uses.

    http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

    VanguardLH, Apr 21, 2013
  4. Paul

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> I have a BAT file that calls QBX afile.BAS which reads INFILE and
    >> writes OUT1 and OUT2 and closes them, and i exit QBX.
    >> I go to edit ANY of these and they are F-ing locked by another process.
    >> How in the F can i find what GD process is involved?
    >> The only way i have found to unlock them,is turn the computer
    >> completely OFF; a PITA and then some.

    > Sysinternals Handle may be able to tell you. It could be the program
    > you thought you'd quit, was still running, in which case you'd check
    > the Task Manager. The files could show up as still owned by QBX,
    > or perhaps your AV program is accessing the files.
    >
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655
    >
    > Paul

    One thing i found, (on experiment) was write files in QBX (BASIC),
    even closed may have uncleared buffers.
    RESET ' flushes buffers and closes files
    Never knew such a command existed and never needed it before - prolly
    because i was either using MSDOS, PCDOS,or Win98SE.
    These newer OSes are rather snippy.

    Task manager shows nothing, that s one thing i tried before posting.

    Now the AV program is not going to attach those files for over a
    second at most, so i do not think that is the problem.

    The problem shows a lot less now after using RESET.
    So next time, i guess i better see what sysinternals shows if anything.

    Robert Baer, Apr 22, 2013