Files appearing in reverse alphabetical order - More

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nemo, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. nemo

    nemo Guest

    I posted here a few days ago re: files appearing in reverse alphabetical
    order in the List view and the Details View coming up blank in folders.

    I was told that clicking in the RH pane of Explorer and hitting CTRL and +
    on the numeric pad would bring the Details view back, and it did!

    Great! Folder-by-folder I could now correct the order of the files by
    clicking the top of the "Name" column. But I was still left with files in
    reverse order in program save and open dialogue boxes.

    You're not gonna believe this, but I've accidentally fixed this as well in a
    very odd way:

    I was clearing the crap out of the Windows\Temp folder, opening some of the
    *tmp files in Notepad/Wordpad to see what they might be, when I tried to
    open a file named tmp2303.tmp.

    This resulted in a blue-screen Fatal Exception Error which took four
    keystrokes to get rid of, and left all sorts of odd things happening, like a
    hash printing for a backwards delete!

    I re-booted and all was OK again, AND the files had gone back into the
    correct alphabetical order in program dialogue boxes!

    Why?? - I've absolutely no idea, but I thought I'd post it in case anyone
    else ends up in the same boat.

    Does anyone have any idea what this tmp2303.tmp file might be. It's 21K in
    size and is dated 08/01/04 @ 02:34.

    Even trying to copy it produces the Fatal Exception Error and trying to
    erase it results in the Access Denied message.

    It's all very puzzling really!

    Nemo

    nemo, Feb 1, 2004

  2. nemo

    °Mike° Guest

    The "cure" was probably just the reboot. As for the strange
    file, boot into Safe Mode and remove it. Clean up your system.

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide