Files appearing in reverse alpabetical order in folder widows and save ans open dialog boxes. WIN98S

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nemo, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. nemo

    nemo Guest

    A few months ago, the Details view in folder windows stopped working. I just
    get a bank field with a blank grey bar along the top. A bit of a nuisance
    but not a disaster. List remained OK wich is the view I always use.

    Yesterday things got worse with files appearing in reverse order in the List
    view.

    With some folders, hitting f5 refresh re-orders the files, on others, going
    from Details back to List and hitting f5 does the trick, and on some folders
    nothing at all will make them go back to showing the files in alphabetical
    order.

    I'm running WIN98SE on an old Dell Dimension XPS H226.

    The trouble started when I was using Photoshop 6, which struggles a bit with
    my 64M of memory but has never caused any real trouble before.

    Any ideas would be much appreciated.

    Nemo.
    nemo, Jan 19, 2004

  2. nemo

    °Mike° Guest

    It's conceivable that using Photoshop 6 on an old system,
    with only 64 MB of RAM has pharked your registry. There
    is no cure, since you said this problems is a few months
    old. If this is the case, you're looking at a reinstall.

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:29:42 GMT, in
    <W6XOb.51612$>
    nemo scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 19, 2004

  3. nemo wrote:

    > With some folders, hitting f5 refresh re-orders the files, on others, going
    > from Details back to List and hitting f5 does the trick, and on some folders
    > nothing at all will make them go back to showing the files in alphabetical
    > order.

    Not that you don't have some deep problems, but as a temporary fix, does
    "nothing" include clicking the Name column header?

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    Happily slrning again.
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 19, 2004
  4. nemo

    nemo Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in message
    > nemo wrote:
    >
    > > With some folders, hitting f5 refresh re-orders the files, on others,

    going
    > > from Details back to List and hitting f5 does the trick, and on some

    folders
    > > nothing at all will make them go back to showing the files in

    alphabetical
    > > order.

    > Not that you don't have some deep problems, but as a temporary fix, does
    > "nothing" include clicking the Name column header?
    >
    > --
    > Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    > Happily slrning again.

    In Details view, there are no column headers, just a plain grey band with no
    dividers or headings.
    Nemo
    nemo, Jan 20, 2004
  5. nemo

    nemo Guest

    Many thanks. I thought that a re-install might be the case.

    Trouble is: I'll have to back everything up on an old, temprimental CD
    burner first. Still - can't be helped.
    Nemo

    nemo, Jan 20, 2004
  6. nemo

    nemo Guest

    Re: Files appearing in reverse alpabetical order - A fix from alt.windows98

    Just got this from Joe on news:alt.windows98

    > To get the columns back, click the right-hand pane to activate, then
    > press the Ctrl and + keys. (Use the + on the numeric keypad.) Then you
    > should be able to change the sort orders.

    Then clicking the top of the Name column re-orders the files and they seem
    to stay there - except in various programs' dialogue boxes, where they
    revert to reverse next time I open the program.

    Odd. There's nothing about this in the two huge books on WIN98 I've got. It
    worked though - almost.

    Might still do a re-install though as this is still a nuisance - after
    spending all day doing a backup on an ancient *2 CD-ROM burner that is!

    Nemo.

    nemo, Jan 20, 2004