    appreciated. I just want my emails and data files, and maybe (if it's
    possible--Please say it's possible, please say it is...) my favorites and
    bookmarks from Firefox.
    =?Utf-8?B?VXR0ZXJseSBDb25mdXNlZA==?=, Dec 9, 2005

  2. When transferring files and settings from Windows XP to Windows XP x64
    Edition, you need to use the latest FSTW. For more on this, please see my
    blog...

    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/09/02/65120.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Thanks, but my bigger issue is how to get my machine to boot my old hard
    drive (running XP Home) so I can run the FSTW from the XP64 CD-ROM and gather
    up my files and settings.

    Maybe I'm posting in the wrong topic for this, but I could really use some
    help. I changed the BIOS settings to boot the slave drive (the one with XP
    Home, my old drive), but it just crashes.

    =?Utf-8?B?VXR0ZXJseSBDb25mdXNlZA==?=, Dec 9, 2005
  4. Why did you remove the drive from the old computer and put it in the new
    one?

    You cannot boot from the old hard drive because the hardware on your new
    computer is very different from the hardware on your old computer. It's
    like moving the shell of a house onto a foundation that is entirely the
    wrong shape; the shell collapses. When you install Windows the installer
    analyzes the hardware in your computer and configures the hardware
    abstraction layer. It is this HAL from the old machine that is wrong for
    the new machine.

    A proper use of the FAST wizard would be to use the 64-bit compatible
    edition of FAST to copy the files and settings from your old machine to a
    storage location (an external hard drive is very useful for this) and then
    connect to the new machine and finish running the transfer.

    If all you want to copy are data files then you could mount the old hard
    drive as a data drive in the new machine or in an external enclosure.

    "Utterly Confused" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 9, 2005