    Is there some way I can accomplish this without physically
    disconnecting drive D?

    TIA

    Lowly Engineer, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Lowly Engineer

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Lowly Engineer
    <> wrote:

    > I have a (source) machine with 2 drives (C & D). I want to use the
    > "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" to move everything from drive C
    > ONLY to a new machine. The new (target) machine has a "legitimate"
    > copy of windows, and the old one does not, so I can't use GHOST to
    > transfer the entire contents from one drive to the other. The
    > motherboard chipset is different as well. The legitimate copy of
    > Windows will not allow me to do a "REPAIR" over the non-legitimate
    > copy either, so I have no other choice.
    >
    > When I set up the Wizard, it lets me choose file types, etc, but I
    > can't find a way to exclude drive D from the transfer.
    >
    > Is there some way I can accomplish this without physically
    > disconnecting drive D?

    Can't you just move the relevant files to the C drive?
    That way, it won't matter which source they are being taken from, right?

    I don't understand why, if you are selecting the file types, it makes
    any difference. If you transfer all TXT files to the new drive, they
    don't have anything to do with the previous OS install, right?
    At least, as long as you aren't trying to make it install everything to
    the corresponding locations.
    Just make it move everything FROM one specific folder OR TO one
    specific folder, so you have control over where they are.

    Mitch, Jan 2, 2006

  3. I have over 220 GB of files on drive C: of my old computer - and
    HUNDREDS of installed applications. I don't want to even think about
    trying to install all of those on the new machine.

    The D: drive is a 300GB drive that is mostly full of data. I can't
    possibly move all the data over to C: - it won't fit.

    I was thinking that the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard would move
    everything over in such a state that I wouldn't have to re-install
    everything.

    Lowly Engineer, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Lowly Engineer

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Lowly Engineer
    <> wrote:

    > I have over 220 GB of files on drive C: of my old computer - and
    > HUNDREDS of installed applications. I don't want to even think about
    > trying to install all of those on the new machine.
    >
    > The D: drive is a 300GB drive that is mostly full of data. I can't
    > possibly move all the data over to C: - it won't fit.
    >

    > I was thinking that the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard would move
    > everything over in such a state that I wouldn't have to re-install
    > everything.

    Oh -- you are hoping Files and Settings also means moving applications.
    I can't speak to that -- never used it.

    Hundreds of installed apps? Whatever for?
    I do a LOT of stuff on my computer, and I have maybe 60 apps and 30
    utilities.
    Maybe you shouldn't even consider dumping that much stuff onto the new
    computer. Installing stuff you really _need_ (and really purchased?)
    could make the new one leaner and more reliable.

    Mitch, Jan 2, 2006
  5. Lowly Engineer

    Noel Paton Guest

    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jan 2, 2006
  6. Lowly Engineer

    Todd H. Guest

    Lowly Engineer <> writes:
    > I have a (source) machine with 2 drives (C & D). I want to use the
    > "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" to move everything from drive C
    > ONLY to a new machine. The new (target) machine has a "legitimate"
    > copy of windows, and the old one does not, so I can't use GHOST to
    > transfer the entire contents from one drive to the other. The
    > motherboard chipset is different as well. The legitimate copy of
    > Windows will not allow me to do a "REPAIR" over the non-legitimate
    > copy either, so I have no other choice.

    You might be interested in VMWare.

    They have a utility to take a physical machine and turn it into a
    portable virtual machine that might suit your needs. You'd also have
    the handy ability to run multiple OS's on your new machine
    concurrently.

    From one engineer to another, it's groovy stuff.

    Best Regard,s
    --