Files and Printer Sharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ColTom2, Nov 14, 2009.

  1. ColTom2

    ColTom2 Guest

    Hi:

    I know that I have addressed this posting to some Vista Newsgroups even
    though my computer in question is a Toshiba L455-S5980 running Windows 7
    Home Premium, but hopefully someone can help me or direct me otherwise.

    I have a wireless network with a Linksys WRT160N router connected to a
    Sony desktop running XP MCE(2005). In addition, I have another Toshiba
    laptop running XP Home Edition.

    With the new Win7 laptop in the Network I can see all 3 computers, as well
    as access files in both the XP computers. However, I cannot access any of
    the Win 7 files from the XP computers. I also have tried to share an HP
    Officejet 6110 with the Win 7 laptop, but when I try to Add Printer, which I
    can see the name of with the Wizard, I get an error notice that access is
    denied.

    The XP computers Workgroup name is MSHOME; however the Win 7 laptop was
    named WORKGROUP by default, but I changed this name to MHOME where all 3
    computers now have the same Workgroup name,

    If anyone can assist me in establishing both file sharing of the Win 7
    laptop and adding the sharing of printer I would be most appreciative.

    Thanks,

    ColTom2

    ColTom2, Nov 14, 2009

  2. ColTom2

    Lem Guest

    ColTom2 wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I know that I have addressed this posting to some Vista Newsgroups even
    > though my computer in question is a Toshiba L455-S5980 running Windows 7
    > Home Premium, but hopefully someone can help me or direct me otherwise.
    >
    > I have a wireless network with a Linksys WRT160N router connected to a
    > Sony desktop running XP MCE(2005). In addition, I have another Toshiba
    > laptop running XP Home Edition.
    >
    > With the new Win7 laptop in the Network I can see all 3 computers, as
    > well as access files in both the XP computers. However, I cannot access
    > any of the Win 7 files from the XP computers. I also have tried to share
    > an HP Officejet 6110 with the Win 7 laptop, but when I try to Add
    > Printer, which I can see the name of with the Wizard, I get an error
    > notice that access is denied.
    >
    > The XP computers Workgroup name is MSHOME; however the Win 7 laptop was
    > named WORKGROUP by default, but I changed this name to MHOME where all 3
    > computers now have the same Workgroup name,
    >
    > If anyone can assist me in establishing both file sharing of the Win 7
    > laptop and adding the sharing of printer I would be most appreciative.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ColTom2

    MS Win 7 forums:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/threads

    Other Win 7 forums and tutorials:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/
    http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24232-sharing-permissions.html?filter[2]=Networking%20Internet

    Networking home computers running different versions of Windows
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...mputers-running-different-versions-of-Windows

    All that being said, are you running a third-party firewall on the Win 7
    box?
    Are you running any antivirus app on the Win 7 box that includes a
    firewall-like component (e.g. "Internet Worm Protection")?
    What is the printer physically connected to?

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Nov 14, 2009

  3. ColTom2

    ColTom2 Guest

    Hi Lem:

    1. My firewall is Windows Firewall.
    2. I have AVG Free 9.0 and it has a Resident Shield that monitors, but I do
    not believe anything like a firewall.
    3. The printer is a HP Officejet 6110 and is connected to the Sony desktop
    running XP MCE(2005).

    Win7 supposedly has a generic driver for this printer built in that should
    work. Here is an HP article addressing this printer connected to a Win 7
    computer.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&tool=softwareCategory&product=79477#

    However, my Win 7 laptop is not directly connected to the printer, but I
    thought about following the above just to see if it would get my printer
    sharing to work.

    Here is a website that addressed a similar issue for Vista.
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-62...=238152&messageID=2323474&tag=content;leftCol

    I followed the instructions and I get a Pinter icon with green check
    indicating it's the default printer. At one time I had it where the Status
    indicated Ready and it would the send print job to Queuing, but not now.
    Status now has 2 question marks, Also I ran the Troubleshooter and it comes
    up with nothing.

    Still will not print.

    Any additional help will be appreciated.

    ColTom2

    ColTom2, Nov 15, 2009
  4. ColTom2

    Ed. Guest

    Have you tried going to Network and Sharing Center and on the left click on
    "Change advanced sharing settings"?
    If not, go there and then scroll down to "Password protected sharing" and
    select "Turn off password protected sharing" and see if that helps. That was
    my problem.

    Ed., Nov 15, 2009
  5. ColTom2

    ColTom2 Guest

    Hi Ed:

    This is one of the first things that I did.

    Anymore ideas from you or anyone will be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    ColTom2

    ColTom2, Nov 15, 2009
  6. ColTom2

    ColTom2 Guest

    Hi:

    I finally got the printer to work based upon my comments in other follow
    on posting:

    Here is a website that addressed a similar issue for Vista.
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-62...=238152&messageID=2323474&tag=content;leftCol

    I re-accomplished the above procedures and found that I had made an error
    in the process. I have nobody to blame but myself.....

    Thanks for all the replies!

    ColTom2

    ColTom2, Nov 16, 2009