    files are shared on both and the internet is shared on desktop. I cant see
    any files from either computer and cant use internet on the laptop.

    do you know what is wrong?

    Hugh Janus, Jun 22, 2005

  2. Hugh Janus

    DanR Guest

    Hugh Janus wrote:
    > I have got a laptop and desktop computers using ad hoc. They connect using
    > 54mbs signal strength excelent.
    > The problem is they are connected but cant do anything with the network. The
    > files are shared on both and the internet is shared on desktop. I cant see
    > any files from either computer and cant use internet on the laptop.
    >
    > do you know what is wrong?

    Check both computers firewall settings.

    DanR, Jun 22, 2005

  3. In article <42b92cbe$>, "Hugh Janus"
    <> wrote:
    >I have got a laptop and desktop computers using ad hoc. They connect using
    >54mbs signal strength excelent.
    >The problem is they are connected but cant do anything with the network. The
    >files are shared on both and the internet is shared on desktop. I cant see
    >any files from either computer and cant use internet on the laptop.
    >
    >do you know what is wrong?

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers.

    Configure the desktop as an Internet Connection Sharing host, as shown
    here:

    XP ICS - Server Setup Using the Network Setup Wizard
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/serverwiz.htm

    When the Wizard runs on the laptop, it might detect a shared Internet
    connection on the network. If it does, tell it to use that
    connection. If it doesn't, tell it that the computer connects to the
    Internet through another computer.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com