    Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?
    TIA
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Sep 28, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian wrote:
    > I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    > Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files.
    > The copy proceeds partway and then produces an error that a filename is too
    > long.
    > The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory.
    > What options do I have for achieving my goal?
    > Is there a facility or utility that I can use to look for offending/invalid
    > filenames?
    > Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?

    you may be able to use a Linux distro to do it... from memory I've done
    this in the past.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 28, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:44:16 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    > I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    > Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files. The copy proceeds
    > partway and then produces an error that a filename is too long.
    > The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory. What options
    > do I have for achieving my goal? Is there a facility or utility that I can
    > use to look for offending/invalid filenames?
    > Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better? TIA

    Are you copying them into the same directory level on the new disk? ie you
    aren't adding extra characters to the new path names? I suspect it would
    be a filesystem issue rather than a copy utility issue.

    If not and you have enough space, could you back them up to a file then
    restore them?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 28, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <dhcp0n$1gj$>, says...
    > I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    > Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files.
    > The copy proceeds partway and then produces an error that a filename is too
    > long.
    > The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory.
    > What options do I have for achieving my goal?
    > Is there a facility or utility that I can use to look for offending/invalid
    > filenames?
    > Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    Use xcopy

    Type xcopy /? at a command prompt to see your options.

    There should be many you'll need, but the /c (?) is the one that
    continues even if errors are encountered.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 28, 2005
  5. KiwiBrian

    Adam Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:44:16 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    >I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    >Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files.
    >The copy proceeds partway and then produces an error that a filename is too
    >long.
    >The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory.
    >What options do I have for achieving my goal?
    >Is there a facility or utility that I can use to look for offending/invalid
    >filenames?
    >Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?

    Brian - I've had this as well (when dumping down to CD-R, I think).

    I think it also happens when your directory hierarchy is also pretty
    deep (so pathnames get long). I nver really resolved it - apart from
    re-arranging the directories manually.

    Adam.

    Adam, Sep 28, 2005
  6. KiwiBrian

    Harry Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    > Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files.
    > The copy proceeds partway and then produces an error that a filename is
    > too long.
    > The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory.
    > What options do I have for achieving my goal?
    > Is there a facility or utility that I can use to look for
    > offending/invalid filenames?
    > Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    Try "xcopy x y /c/h/e/r/k" or xcopy32 depending on your system.

    You could also boot up Linux and mount the filesystem and use
    tar or cpio etc.

    Harry, Sep 28, 2005
  7. KiwiBrian

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    >Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files.
    >The copy proceeds partway and then produces an error that a filename is too
    >long.
    >The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory.
    >What options do I have for achieving my goal?
    >Is there a facility or utility that I can use to look for offending/invalid
    >filenames?
    >Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?
    >TIA
    >Brian Tozer

    Zipping them first might work.

    GraB, Sep 28, 2005
  8. KiwiBrian

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <dhcp0n$1gj$>,
    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote:

    > I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    > Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files.
    > The copy proceeds partway and then produces an error that a filename is too
    > long.
    > The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory.
    > What options do I have for achieving my goal?
    > Is there a facility or utility that I can use to look for offending/invalid
    > filenames?
    > Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    IIRC Under w2k there is a filename+filepath limit of 256 characters.

    whoisthis, Sep 28, 2005
  9. KiwiBrian

    Adam Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:44:16 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    >I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    >Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files.
    >The copy proceeds partway and then produces an error that a filename is too
    >long.
    >The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory.
    >What options do I have for achieving my goal?
    >Is there a facility or utility that I can use to look for offending/invalid
    >filenames?
    >Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?

    I'm intrigued. As I usually get these problems when I'm backing up to
    CD-R, I'm wondering whether there's *also* some limit imposed by the
    way in whch directory indices/catalogs are stored on CD's <???>. I
    often look at the settings (Joliet etc.) when messing with Nero, but
    it never goes further than that <g>.

    Robocopy will certainly copy the long(er) file/paths, but then we
    might still hit the problem when using CD-Rs (or DVDs).

    How do commercial CD/backup apps cope with long paths? I seem to
    remember Roxio EazyCD barfing - but not sure about Nero. I've never
    actually used a *dedicated* backup app as such [blush].

    Adam.

    Adam, Sep 29, 2005
  10. KiwiBrian

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:28:21 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

    > IIRC Under w2k there is a filename+filepath limit of 256 characters.

    Or is that 255? Either way it is a limit I have read about. never worried
    about it too much when I have come across it.

    Gordon, Sep 29, 2005
  11. KiwiBrian

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:25:42 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > KiwiBrian wrote:
    >> I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    >> Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files.
    >> The copy proceeds partway and then produces an error that a filename is too
    >> long.
    >> The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory.
    >> What options do I have for achieving my goal?
    >> Is there a facility or utility that I can use to look for offending/invalid
    >> filenames?
    >> Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?

    > you may be able to use a Linux distro to do it... from memory I've done
    > this in the past.

    Oh No! Ms Penguin and her mates could help you out?

    Gordon, Sep 29, 2005
  12. KiwiBrian

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:44:16 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    > I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    > Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files.
    > The copy proceeds partway and then produces an error that a filename is too
    > long.
    > The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory.
    > What options do I have for achieving my goal?
    > Is there a facility or utility that I can use to look for offending/invalid
    > filenames?
    > Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?

    Details, as you see them, are important.

    Could we have the OS you are attempting this under please? Also which
    programme are you trying to do the copying with. ( One should never a
    sentence with, unless one has nothing else to end it with. ) ;-)

    One thought, image the whole parition and restore, the delete as required.

    Sometimes you need to get down and do it byte by byte.

    Another, where is/are your backups? For they could help.

    Gordon, Sep 29, 2005
  13. Gordon wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:28:21 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
    >

    >>IIRC Under w2k there is a filename+filepath limit of 256 characters.

    > Or is that 255? Either way it is a limit I have read about. never worried
    > about it too much when I have come across it.

    MAX_PATH is defined as being 260 characters in Windows. Some programs
    may impose a 255 character limit.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 29, 2005
  14. KiwiBrian

    Ron McNulty Guest

    It looks like the Joliet CDR specification has a limit of 128 bytes for file
    paths (128 ASCII chars or 64 unicode).

    An effective (but slightly hackish) way to get round this is to zip the
    archive, and copy the zip file to the CDR.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Sep 29, 2005
  15. KiwiBrian

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, Adam says...
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:44:16 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
    >
    > >I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    > >Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files.
    > >The copy proceeds partway and then produces an error that a filename is too
    > >long.
    > >The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory.
    > >What options do I have for achieving my goal?
    > >Is there a facility or utility that I can use to look for offending/invalid
    > >filenames?
    > >Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?

    > I'm intrigued. As I usually get these problems when I'm backing up to
    > CD-R, I'm wondering whether there's *also* some limit imposed by the
    > way in whch directory indices/catalogs are stored on CD's <???>. I
    > often look at the settings (Joliet etc.) when messing with Nero, but
    > it never goes further than that <g>.
    >
    > Robocopy will certainly copy the long(er) file/paths, but then we
    > might still hit the problem when using CD-Rs (or DVDs).
    >
    > How do commercial CD/backup apps cope with long paths? I seem to
    > remember Roxio EazyCD barfing - but not sure about Nero. I've never
    > actually used a *dedicated* backup app as such [blush].

    Nero Backitup has the option to convert to 8.3 file and foldernames - it
    saves the full pathname along with the file so that it can be restored
    properly.

    Rob J, Sep 29, 2005
  16. KiwiBrian

    Adam Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:51:13 +1200, Rob J wrote:

    >In article <>, Adam says...
    >> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:44:16 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am trying to copy a large hierarchy of folders and files betwen two hard
    >> >Drives on the same PC. There are over 20,000 files.
    >> >The copy proceeds partway and then produces an error that a filename is too
    >> >long.
    >> >The copy aborts at that stage which is highly unsatisfactory.
    >> >What options do I have for achieving my goal?
    >> >Is there a facility or utility that I can use to look for offending/invalid
    >> >filenames?
    >> >Is there a MOVE utility or program that handles the situation better?

    >> I'm intrigued. As I usually get these problems when I'm backing up to
    >> CD-R, I'm wondering whether there's *also* some limit imposed by the
    >> way in whch directory indices/catalogs are stored on CD's <???>. I
    >> often look at the settings (Joliet etc.) when messing with Nero, but
    >> it never goes further than that <g>.
    >>
    >> Robocopy will certainly copy the long(er) file/paths, but then we
    >> might still hit the problem when using CD-Rs (or DVDs).
    >>
    >> How do commercial CD/backup apps cope with long paths? I seem to
    >> remember Roxio EazyCD barfing - but not sure about Nero. I've never
    >> actually used a *dedicated* backup app as such [blush].
    >>

    >Nero Backitup has the option to convert to 8.3 file and foldernames - it
    >saves the full pathname along with the file so that it can be restored
    >properly.

    Thanks for that. Good to know :)

    I'm not one for actually reading online help or manuals, so I always
    stopped dead when I saw the 8-3 thing - presuming I'd have
    irrecoverable archives.

    Adam.

    Adam, Sep 30, 2005