Filenames containing chinese characters

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi there

    I currently have Windows XPSP2 & Office XP installed. Now I have chinese
    language support installed for Office and when saving documents, their
    filenames include chinese characters. These are displayed properly
    whenever browsing in Windows Explorer.

    The problem occurs when trying to send these files as email attachments.

    The file attaches ok, but the email client does not recognise the
    characters. The attached filename may appear as ????????.doc in Outlook
    or _______.doc in Netscape mail. I would then get a filename not
    recognised error when trying to send.

    Is there anyway to do this keeping the original filename with Chinese
    characters intact? I have already installed the GB18030 Support Package
    (English) from Microsoft but still no luck.

    Any suggestions much appreciated.

    Thanks, Alan
    Alan, Mar 7, 2006

  2. Alan

    Alan Guest

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    >
    > I currently have Windows XPSP2 & Office XP installed. Now I have
    > chinese language support installed for Office and when saving
    > documents, their filenames include chinese characters. These are
    > displayed properly whenever browsing in Windows Explorer.
    >
    > The problem occurs when trying to send these files as email
    > attachments.
    >
    > The file attaches ok, but the email client does not recognise the
    > characters. The attached filename may appear as ????????.doc in
    > Outlook
    > or _______.doc in Netscape mail. I would then get a filename not
    > recognised error when trying to send.
    >
    > Is there anyway to do this keeping the original filename with
    > Chinese characters intact? I have already installed the GB18030
    > Support Package (English) from Microsoft but still no luck.
    >
    > Any suggestions much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Alan

    Hi,

    You could zip it up and send the zip file?

    Alan.

    Alan, Mar 7, 2006

  3. On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 22:15:31 +1300, Alan wrote:

    > Hi there
    >
    > I currently have Windows XPSP2 & Office XP installed. Now I have chinese
    > language support installed for Office and when saving documents, their
    > filenames include chinese characters. These are displayed properly
    > whenever browsing in Windows Explorer.
    >
    > The problem occurs when trying to send these files as email attachments.
    >
    > The file attaches ok, but the email client does not recognise the
    > characters. The attached filename may appear as ????????.doc in Outlook
    > or _______.doc in Netscape mail. I would then get a filename not
    > recognised error when trying to send.
    >
    > Is there anyway to do this keeping the original filename with Chinese
    > characters intact? I have already installed the GB18030 Support Package
    > (English) from Microsoft but still no luck.
    >
    > Any suggestions much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Alan

    Shouldn't you have installed a support package for Mandarin or Cantonese
    support? What about checking to see if Outlook defaults to using the UTF-8
    character set.

    But if you want really superior support for multiple languages in
    addition to or instead of English then you should be using Linux and Open
    Office and Evolution.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Fink: "The Linux market is growing 30% to 35% a year."
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Alan

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 22:15:31 +1300, Alan <> wrote:

    >Hi there
    >
    >I currently have Windows XPSP2 & Office XP installed. Now I have chinese
    >language support installed for Office and when saving documents, their
    >filenames include chinese characters. These are displayed properly
    >whenever browsing in Windows Explorer.
    >
    >The problem occurs when trying to send these files as email attachments.
    >
    >The file attaches ok, but the email client does not recognise the
    >characters. The attached filename may appear as ????????.doc in Outlook
    >or _______.doc in Netscape mail. I would then get a filename not
    >recognised error when trying to send.
    >
    >Is there anyway to do this keeping the original filename with Chinese
    >characters intact? I have already installed the GB18030 Support Package
    >(English) from Microsoft but still no luck.
    >
    >Any suggestions much appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks, Alan

    http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Programs/AsianStudiesDept/Language/chinese_email-summary.html

    Might be something here?