Filemaker 6.0 very very slow in loading initially

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Idris Alooma, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. Idris Alooma

    Idris Alooma Guest

    I posted a few days ago stating that I was having problems getting
    Filemaker 6.0 to load. It was taking 15 minutes or more before it
    loaded.

    So I then uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times so far. I also
    installed Filemaker 5.5 this afternoon.

    Both of them load up and say "tcp/ip" loaded" The they freeze on the
    square screen. Neither will go any further and rebooting the computer
    doesn't help.

    I have Zonealarm installed and when I start them up they ask for
    Internet access which I grant, but they don't go past that point.

    So now it seems that neither filemaker product will run...?

    What to do now? Any suggestions?

    On my Dell XPS-T-600 running Windows XP Professional, I have removed the
    font file and the font that Filemaker hangs on when it initially boots
    up. The first time it was a font named "sydnie" There was no such font
    in the font folder in control panel. I also ran disk doctor, windoctor,
    one button checkup and repaired the errors.

    The next time it hung up on some font name "@ming" something.

    If it does get past loading the fonts, it hangs after saying "tcp/ip"
    loaded. It stops there also.

    I ran a complete virus scan of my system. It revealed nothing. Yet
    Filemaker refuses to load on my primary computer.

    On my older 400MHZ Hewlett Packard Pavilion, Filemaker Pro 6.0 installs
    and runs just fine. No problems what so ever.

    This is really puzzling considering it ran fine for over a year until it
    started loading very slowly.

    Idris Alooma, Sep 22, 2003