    hubcap Guest

    Is there really a reasonably priced wiping program that eliminates evidence
    from your computer?
    hubcap, May 14, 2005

  2. hubcap

    DavidPostill Guest

    In article <Xxohe.17732$>, on Sat, 14 May 2005 10:12:44 -0500, hubcap
    wrote:

    | Is there really a reasonably priced wiping program that eliminates evidence
    | from your computer?

    Depends on what you mean by evidence. The only sure way is to completely destroy
    your hard disk.

    Look here:

    <https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/soft10.htm>

    and here:

    <https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/soft19.htm>

    --
    DavidPostill
    DavidPostill, May 14, 2005

  3. hubcap

    Winged Guest

    hubcap wrote:
    > Is there really a reasonably priced wiping program that eliminates evidence
    > from your computer?

    As long as your not concerned about forensic recovery their is a
    reasonably good free one:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/sdelete.shtml

    Note that SDelete securely deletes file data, but not file names located
    in free disk space.

    But unless you are concerned about a criminal issue where a file name
    might incriminate you it works well enough.

    If you are looking to remove all forensic evidence of even a files past
    existance, it is best to destroy the drive totally.

    There is a program called BCWipe that does well against anything but a
    very dedicated and expensive recovery process provided you wipe
    everything within its options and perform overwrites. There is a 30 day
    trial version at: http://www.tucows.com/preview/195710.

    If the BCWIPE program does not wipe disk to satisfaction I recommend
    destroying the drive using grinders, magnets and heat, then let a river
    distribute the powder ;-). If one is concerned about jail, divorce or
    other serious consequenses drive destruction is your best bet. Drives
    are not that expensive or hard to get, and it is not worth the potential
    trade off. I would hate to think I went to jail for a $100 drive.

    But for the routine the SDELETE works fairly well. If you are trying to
    wipe your business computer because you have had an issue, it probably
    is not a good idea as the administrators or security personnel probably
    have already made an image of the disk, and logged activities without
    your knowledge across the network without your knowledge and probably
    have historical data on activity stored in several locations if the
    network is centrally managed. Tis probably best to plead stupidity in
    this case. You can try but i doubt the success of your efforts in this
    scenario. With the litigeous nature of people, they usually have the
    evidence safely achieved long before you are aware of an issue.

    Winged
    Winged, May 14, 2005
  4. hubcap

    Jim Watt Guest

    wrote:

    >Is there really a reasonably priced wiping program that eliminates evidence
    >from your computer?

    Theres plenty of good freeware for wiping files otherwise, given the
    current low cost of drives a brick and hammer can be very effective.

    Its a long time since we have seen postings promoting a certain brand
    of software for this purpose.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com