    Just entered digital with s/h Canon Ixus 2.1.Have noticed super fine file
    size and wondered if the image is significantly better than default file
    setting, Am not yet able to print and examine for myself.

    brucey2, Nov 15, 2003

  2. brucey2

    Jim Townsend Guest

    brucey2 wrote:

    > Just entered digital with s/h Canon Ixus 2.1.Have noticed super fine file
    > size and wondered if the image is significantly better than default file
    > setting, Am not yet able to print and examine for myself.

    Best way to tell is take a shot in superfine mode then take the exact same shot
    in regular mode.

    Open both images on your desktop side by side then, zoom them to 200%. Compare
    the same areas. Look at areas with large contrast for any artifacts. Print
    each image and compare them again. You will be able to tell with your own
    eyes if one is better or worse.

    I've had a couple of Powershot Canon cameras (An Ixus and a Pro90). I can
    barely see a difference between the two compression modes.

    Still.. I feel the best strategy is to use superfine all the time and only
    switch to regular when you're trying to extend your compact flash memory.

    Jim Townsend, Nov 16, 2003