    what is the best ( useful ) type of file for saving photographs and
    negatives onto C.D.-Rs for archiving.?
    john marsden.
    john marsden, Apr 27, 2005

  2. john marsden wrote:
    > what is the best ( useful ) type of file for saving photographs and
    > negatives onto C.D.-Rs for archiving.?
    > john marsden.

    When you say for archiving, I'd probably go with one of the lossless
    formats such as .tif. The reasoning is that if you compress them now
    with a compressed format such as .jpg, some data is forever lost. If
    saving space is more important to you, then go with .jpg.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 27, 2005

  3. john marsden

    Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:12:10 GMT, "john marsden"
    <> wrote:

    |>what is the best ( useful ) type of file for saving photographs and
    |>negatives onto C.D.-Rs for archiving.?

    As mention'd, for future use...TIF

    --
    The Eagle Nebula image release on Hubble's 15th birthday
    http://tinyurl.com/982nm (space.com)
  4. john marsden

    Dave Lear Guest

    "john marsden" wrote in message

    > what is the best ( useful ) type of file for saving photographs and
    > negatives onto C.D.-Rs for archiving.?

    If it's a high-end camera then save them as .RAW

    If it's a normal camera then .TIF or .JPG (as long as this is set to high
    quality rather than high compression)
    Dave Lear, Apr 27, 2005
  5. john marsden

    philo Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:12:10 +0000, john marsden wrote:

    > what is the best ( useful ) type of file for saving photographs and
    > negatives onto C.D.-Rs for archiving.?
    > john marsden.

    ..jpg will save space...
    if you ever need to edit the file...
    convert to another format such as .tif or .bmp
    philo, Apr 28, 2005