    files if necessary. This is on XP Home.

    Thanks
    John Potter
    John Potter, Aug 22, 2004

  2. John Potter

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "John Potter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Since installing Omnipage OCR software, several file types (gif,
    > jpeg...) show as type "OmniPage Image File" in explorer. Can someone
    > tell me where this information is stored so I can change the file type
    > back to gif image etc? I'm able to use a text editor to modify config
    > files if necessary. This is on XP Home.

    You have a few options. Check the options/preferences for your file
    viewer or editor and see if you can set default file type values from
    there. If not, from Explorer go Tools | Options | File Types and then
    select gig or jpeg from the dropdown list. Click "Change", and then
    select your preferred program to associate with that type. Finally,
    there's always the registry itself.

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.gif
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg

    You want to edit the "Default" value, which is normally a reference to
    another Root entry. If you're familiar with the Windows registry, this
    is pretty straight-forward -- if not, then it can get a little
    confusing, so take care. For instance, on my machine, the Default value
    for .gif is "ACDSee.jpeg", which refers to the ACDSee viewer application
    I use. Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ACDSee.jpeg, the shell open and edit
    keys are found for this application:
    "E:\AcdSystem\ACDSee\5.0\ACDSee5.exe" "%1". Generally, you won't need to
    fool with these. Just find the corresponding key for your owner
    viewer/editor and enter that as the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg "Default".

    And for future reference: Omnipage, like most programs, has a "custom'
    installation option that will let you avoid problem like this altogether
    by limiting the file types you want to associate with any given program.
    Patrick Bold, Aug 22, 2004

  3. John Potter

    frederick Guest

    > Since installing Omnipage OCR software, several file types (gif,
    > jpeg...) show as type "OmniPage Image File" in explorer. Can someone
    > tell me where this information is stored so I can change the file type
    > back to gif image etc? I'm able to use a text editor to modify config
    > files if necessary. This is on XP Home.
    >
    > Thanks
    > John Potter

    Don't fiddle directly with registry - there is no need - with XP it is very
    simple:

    Right-click with your mouse on a Gif file in explorer / my computer.
    Select "Open With" from the context menu.
    Choose the program from the list.
    Check the check box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
    Click OK button.

    Repeat for JPG etc as required.

    Send an email to the maker of the software that you installed, telling them that
    it is unprofessional for them to supply software that changes file
    associations - without presenting the user with an option to do so. It is piss
    poor, all too common, and bloody annoying.
    frederick, Aug 22, 2004
  4. John Potter

    John Potter Guest

    Thanks Patrick, I fixed it from the Explorer menu as you suggested

    John

    John Potter, Aug 22, 2004
  5. John Potter

    John Potter Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:53:54 +1200, "frederick" <>
    wrote:

    Thanks for your suggestion, but that doesn't quite do it. Often I
    have two versions of the same file, a jpeg or gif and a tiff, I need
    to be able to tell them apart. See my reply to Patrick. I used to
    like the setup in win 3.11 - there was a plain text file for these
    settings, you could edit it with any old text editor.

    It does annoy me when programs change my settings but I'm not sure in
    this case whether Omnipage gave me an option or not.

    John

    John Potter, Aug 23, 2004
  6. John Potter

    frederick Guest

    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:53:54 +1200, "frederick" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion, but that doesn't quite do it. Often I
    > have two versions of the same file, a jpeg or gif and a tiff, I need
    > to be able to tell them apart. See my reply to Patrick. I used to
    > like the setup in win 3.11 - there was a plain text file for these
    > settings, you could edit it with any old text editor.
    >
    > It does annoy me when programs change my settings but I'm not sure in
    > this case whether Omnipage gave me an option or not.
    >
    > John

    It will actually "do it". It does exactly the same (brings up the same dialog
    even) as Explorer | folder options | files types | Open With - Change...
    frederick, Aug 23, 2004
  7. John Potter

    richard Guest

    John Potter wrote:

    > Thanks for your suggestion, but that doesn't quite do it. Often I
    > have two versions of the same file, a jpeg or gif and a tiff, I need
    > to be able to tell them apart.

    thats what file extensions are for, authough I can see a use if you want to sort
    by filetype to be able to select all the jpegs regardless of extension for
    deletion etc.

    > See my reply to Patrick. I used to
    > like the setup in win 3.11 - there was a plain text file for these
    > settings, you could edit it with any old text editor.

    Argh, Be glad that the collection of obscure text files has gone, with no
    standardisation as to where they are stored etc it really made windows 3.1 a
    pain in the ass to back up your settings etc.

    > It does annoy me when programs change my settings but I'm not sure in
    > this case whether Omnipage gave me an option or not.

    Yeah, well some vendors are total asses with there installation programs, I
    recall real had one install where the top 5 or so options were unticked, and all
    those below it were ticked, but you had to scroll to see them. If you saw the
    top 5 unticked, you (even I fell for it once) assume that the whole lot are not
    ticked. That put me off real at that point, and I refuse to install it anymore.
    At least microsoft dont do that sort of trickery in there installs for windows
    media player. (Plus its ugly)
    richard, Aug 23, 2004
  8. John Potter

    John Potter Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:50:08 +1200, "frederick" <>
    wrote:

    >"John Potter" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:53:54 +1200, "frederick" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks for your suggestion, but that doesn't quite do it. Often I
    >> have two versions of the same file, a jpeg or gif and a tiff, I need
    >> to be able to tell them apart. See my reply to Patrick. I used to
    >> like the setup in win 3.11 - there was a plain text file for these
    >> settings, you could edit it with any old text editor.
    >>
    >> It does annoy me when programs change my settings but I'm not sure in
    >> this case whether Omnipage gave me an option or not.
    >>
    >> John

    >It will actually "do it". It does exactly the same (brings up the same dialog
    >even) as Explorer | folder options | files types | Open With - Change...

    Ok, thanks for that. I've got a solution now.
    John Potter, Aug 23, 2004