    Adam

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Adam, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Adam

    DennisC Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Going to be transferring files from Win 98 to XP. I've got Detto's
    > Intellimover. Which would you use. Intellimover or XP's wizard? Why?
    > Thanks,
    > Adam

    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Hello Adam,
    If I had to choose between the two I would use Intellimover.
    Intellimover has the ability to choose which files and settings you
    wish to migrate. XP's wizard is more generic. In other words,
    Intellimover gives you far more detailed information. I like
    to have complete control.
    Cheers..
    DennisC
    DennisC, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    DennisC wrote:

    >"Adam" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Going to be transferring files from Win 98 to XP. I've got Detto's
    >>Intellimover. Which would you use. Intellimover or XP's wizard? Why?
    >>Thanks,
    >>Adam
    >>

    > To email, erase "forgetit"
    >Hello Adam,
    >If I had to choose between the two I would use Intellimover.
    >Intellimover has the ability to choose which files and settings you
    >wish to migrate. XP's wizard is more generic. In other words,
    >Intellimover gives you far more detailed information. I like
    >to have complete control.
    >Cheers..
    >DennisC

    Thanks, Dennis. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a custom file
    transfer with the XP wizard. I believe that one can do the automatic
    install, but there is also a choice to pick and choose files to migrate.

    Adam

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Adam, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Adam

    Ron Martell Guest

    Adam <> wrote:

    >Thanks, Dennis. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a custom file
    >transfer with the XP wizard. I believe that one can do the automatic
    >install, but there is also a choice to pick and choose files to migrate.
    >
    >Adam

    Yes. The Windows XP Files And Settings Transfer Wizard can be
    customized to add or remove types of files, folders, etc., as you
    wish.

    See the article by former MVP Gary Woodruff at
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    I have no experience with Intellimover so I cannot comment on the
    comparison between the two.

    The only complaint I have ever had with FASTW is that it tends to move
    too much - graphics from Tempory Internet Files and Temp folders,
    recycle bin stuff, etc. No problem if you do a proper housecleaning
    first but....

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Adam

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > Going to be transferring files from Win 98 to XP. I've got Detto's
    > Intellimover. Which would you use. Intellimover or XP's wizard? Why?
    > Thanks,
    > Adam
    >
    > --
    > To email, erase "forgetit"

    i've used XP file transfer utility on a 700 pc rollout.
    works great. default settings will take care of your outlook/express/address
    book/favourites.

    pictures and music are dropped into the default directories in my documents.

    you can also customize by file extensions.

    never used intellimover.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Aug 17, 2004