File transfer without PC Anywhere?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Beachcomber, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. Beachcomber

    Beachcomber Guest

    I own an older Copy of PC Anywhere which I used with my WIN98
    computer.

    This version does not work with my new XP box and the version is too
    old to upgrade. The new version of PC Anywhere lists for $199.00

    All I want to do is some simple batch file transfers from the old PC
    to the new PC. I don't need any of the remote control functions (I
    use VNC for that.)

    I know I can upload/download from an FTP site or burn a CD to move
    these files, but I rather move them on my LAN, if possible. Also, I
    would prefer not to fool around with the serial ports as they are in
    use.

    Are there any inexpensive or freeware WIN XP programs (a la VNC) that
    will let me do file transfers? Both computers are TCP/IP networked
    together.

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Beachcomber

    Night_Seer Guest

    Beachcomber wrote:
    > I own an older Copy of PC Anywhere which I used with my WIN98
    > computer.
    >
    > This version does not work with my new XP box and the version is too
    > old to upgrade. The new version of PC Anywhere lists for $199.00
    >
    > All I want to do is some simple batch file transfers from the old PC
    > to the new PC. I don't need any of the remote control functions (I
    > use VNC for that.)
    >
    > I know I can upload/download from an FTP site or burn a CD to move
    > these files, but I rather move them on my LAN, if possible. Also, I
    > would prefer not to fool around with the serial ports as they are in
    > use.
    >
    > Are there any inexpensive or freeware WIN XP programs (a la VNC) that
    > will let me do file transfers? Both computers are TCP/IP networked
    > together.
    >
    > Beachcomber

    When you say they are networked together, do you mean that they are in
    the same LAN?

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Beachcomber

    Beachcomber Guest

    >When you say they are networked together, do you mean that they are in
    >the same LAN?
    >
    >--
    >Night_Seer

    Yes. That's correct.

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Beachcomber

    Thor Guest

    "Beachcomber" <> wrote in message

    > I own an older Copy of PC Anywhere which I used with my WIN98
    > computer.
    >
    > This version does not work with my new XP box and the version is too
    > old to upgrade. The new version of PC Anywhere lists for $199.00
    >
    > All I want to do is some simple batch file transfers from the old PC
    > to the new PC. I don't need any of the remote control functions (I
    > use VNC for that.)
    >
    > I know I can upload/download from an FTP site or burn a CD to move
    > these files, but I rather move them on my LAN, if possible. Also, I
    > would prefer not to fool around with the serial ports as they are in
    > use.
    >
    > Are there any inexpensive or freeware WIN XP programs (a la VNC) that
    > will let me do file transfers? Both computers are TCP/IP networked
    > together.
    >
    > Beachcomber

    Let me get this straight. You already have the two computers networked
    together on a LAN, and you don't know how to transfer files between them???
    You simply share the drive of the source PC, and locate the shared resources
    via the client or receiving PC in network neighborhood, (My Network Places
    in WInXP) and you can drag/drop the files and folders to your local drive.
    Why would you need PC Anywhere or some other 3rd party app to simply copy
    files over the existing network? What you require is already built into
    Windows.

    1. Make sure file and printer sharing is installed on the old PC, and that
    both machines are part of the same workgroup (makes things easier).
    2. Right-click your C: drive in "My computer" on the old PC, and choose
    "sharing".
    3. Share the drive and give it a share name, and click "apply".
    4. A little "hand" icon should appear over your C: drive icon, indicating
    that it is now shared.
    5. Go to the new WinXP PC and doubleclick "my network places"
    6. double click "entire network"
    7. Doubleclick "windows network"
    8. doubleclick on the workgroup name for your local network
    9. you should see the remote computer in this window, probably along with
    the one you are currently working on.
    10. double click the computername for the old computer
    11. You should now see it's shared resources
    12. double click the shared drive and you will see the folders and files on
    your old PC.
    13. Drag and drop or copy/paste folders and files to the folder or drive of
    your choice on the new PC.

    Thor, Jan 21, 2004
  5. Beachcomber

    Night_Seer Guest

    Beachcomber wrote:
    >> When you say they are networked together, do you mean that they are
    >> in the same LAN?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer
    >>

    > Yes. That's correct.
    >
    > Beachcomber

    Then see Thor's advice...there is absolutely no need for any other
    software besides Windows todo that...just transfer files over the
    LAN...make sure both computers are a part of the same workgroup, share a
    folder, and transfer...simple...but look at thors reply for the complete
    answer

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 21, 2004
  6. Beachcomber

    Beachcomber Guest

    >Let me get this straight. You already have the two computers networked
    >together on a LAN, and you don't know how to transfer files between them???
    >You simply share the drive of the source PC, and locate the shared resources
    >via the client or receiving PC in network neighborhood, (My Network Places
    >in WInXP) and you can drag/drop the files and folders to your local drive.
    >Why would you need PC Anywhere or some other 3rd party app to simply copy
    >files over the existing network? What you require is already built into
    >Windows.

    Thor:

    I must have gone brain dead there for a while. Thanks for pointing
    out the solution that I should have seen as obvious. I think that I
    was aware of the file sharing feature, but never thought of using it
    because of security issues. If you turn it off after your done, it
    doesn't matter, does it...

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Jan 21, 2004
  7. Beachcomber

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Beachcomber) wrote in news:400eb57d.1939982
    @netnews.comcast.net:

    > Are there any inexpensive or freeware WIN XP programs (a la VNC) that
    > will let me do file transfers? Both computers are TCP/IP networked
    > together.

    Why not just create a share and drag and drop?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 21, 2004
  8. Beachcomber

    derek / nul Guest

    see www.ozcableguy.com

    derek / nul, Jan 21, 2004
  9. Beachcomber

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Beachcomber) wrote in news:400ed582.9401125
    @netnews.comcast.net:

    > I must have gone brain dead there for a while. Thanks for pointing
    > out the solution that I should have seen as obvious. I think that I
    > was aware of the file sharing feature, but never thought of using it
    > because of security issues. If you turn it off after your done, it
    > doesn't matter, does it...

    If your machines are behind a NAT router, it really doesn't matter at all.
    Outside traffic won't be forwarded to the machines, so even open shares
    with no security at all are still pretty safe.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 21, 2004
  10. Beachcomber

    > >Let me get this straight. You already have the two computers networked
    > >together on a LAN, and you don't know how to transfer files between

    them???
    > >You simply share the drive of the source PC, and locate the shared

    resources
    > >via the client or receiving PC in network neighborhood, (My Network

    Places
    > >in WInXP) and you can drag/drop the files and folders to your local

    drive.
    > >Why would you need PC Anywhere or some other 3rd party app to simply copy
    > >files over the existing network? What you require is already built into
    > >Windows.
    > >

    > Thor:
    >
    > I must have gone brain dead there for a while. Thanks for pointing
    > out the solution that I should have seen as obvious. I think that I
    > was aware of the file sharing feature, but never thought of using it
    > because of security issues. If you turn it off after your done, it
    > doesn't matter, does it...

    No.

    Thor, Jan 22, 2004
  11. Beachcomber wrote:
    >>Let me get this straight. You already have the two computers networked
    >>together on a LAN, and you don't know how to transfer files between them???
    >>You simply share the drive of the source PC, and locate the shared resources
    >>via the client or receiving PC in network neighborhood, (My Network Places
    >>in WInXP) and you can drag/drop the files and folders to your local drive.
    >>Why would you need PC Anywhere or some other 3rd party app to simply copy
    >>files over the existing network? What you require is already built into
    >>Windows.
    >>

    > Thor:
    >
    > I must have gone brain dead there for a while. Thanks for pointing
    > out the solution that I should have seen as obvious. I think that I
    > was aware of the file sharing feature, but never thought of using it
    > because of security issues. If you turn it off after your done, it
    > doesn't matter, does it...
    >
    > Beachcomber

    You also have several options on sharing. You can make the share
    read-only if all you're worried about is 'unauthorized' changes. You can
    assign a password so only those you give the password to can access the
    share. And in WinXP (Pro, at least) you can set access rights for each
    userID.

    There are probably loopholes in these so if you need 'tight' security
    then yes, your best bet is to remove the share when you're done with
    it-but if you set it up right then you can still get reasonable security
    while leaving it set up permanently.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 22, 2004