    have been able to configure the laptops for an adhoc well at least I think I
    have! I want to transfer a huge file from one computer to the other but cant
    seem to get the computers to recognise each other! Any Ideas
    =?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGll?=, Nov 25, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGll?=

    Boss Hog Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > HEllo I have two wi fi laptops running XP and both have service pack 2. I
    > have been able to configure the laptops for an adhoc well at least I think I
    > have! I want to transfer a huge file from one computer to the other but cant
    > seem to get the computers to recognise each other! Any Ideas

    Workgroups the same? Shares configured?
    Boss Hog, Nov 25, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGll?=

    ANONYMOUS Guest

    Have a look here:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml

    hth

    ANONYMOUS, Nov 25, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGll?=

    Ryan Younger Guest

    Please visit:

    http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/

    And click the 'Sharing an Internet Connection Wirelessly' link on the right.
    The first part of the article will guide you through creating an adhoc
    wireless network. Once you are sure this has been setup correctly ensure
    that both machine's are in the same workgroup and that you have created a
    share on one of the machines, or both if you wish (and given the share the
    appropriate permissions, so that the user on the other machine can
    connect).Once you have done this you should be able to access the shared
    folder.

    So for example, let's assume you have followed the steps in the article and
    successfully setup an adhoc wireless network and that you have machineA and
    machineB and you want to transfer a file from machineA to machineB, you
    would first ensure both machine's are a member of the same workgroup and
    then create a folder on machineB and share this, you would then set
    permissions on the shared folder so that the user on machineA has access to
    it, let's say that you create a folder named 'foo'. From machineA you
    should now be able to access machineB using a UNC path by clicking Start >
    Run... and then typing \\machineB\foo this should open the folder on
    machineA and the the file can then be copied to that shared folder.

    Hopefully this will be of some help to you, if you have any questions please
    reply.

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.