    access denied, make sure disk is not full or write protected and file is not
    currently in use". Then, when I put the cd back into he laptop, it does'nt
    work there either! Any ideas?
    martin, Oct 25, 2003

  2. martin

    Budweiser Guest

    i may be stating the obvious---do you actually have a cd writer drive in
    either machine?
    i was not aware (please correct me) that you could burn a cd using explorer
    other than that here is a good place to start
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/38/index4a.html?tw=multimedia
    hth
    budweiser

    Budweiser, Oct 25, 2003

  3. martin

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:37:43 +0000 (UTC), Knowing that it was a
    Hollywood invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "martin"
    <> wrote :

    >I have copied a number of jpegs onto a CDRW cd using Windows Explorer on a
    >laptop with Windows XP. Then I transferred the cd to a PC running Windows
    >98 and tried to add another folder with more jpegs. It won't work, I get
    >the error message "error copying file, cannot create or replace ......
    >access denied, make sure disk is not full or write protected and file is not
    >currently in use". Then, when I put the cd back into he laptop, it does'nt
    >work there either! Any ideas?

    If you closed the session on the CDRW disk then you cannot add any
    more if you just a normal burning program.If you use,"Packet Writing"
    to create the CDRW you need PW software installed on the other system
    to use the CDRW disk.
    More info here,
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/

    HTH :)
    Shep©, Oct 25, 2003
  4. martin

    Stevo Guest

    martin wrote:
    > I have copied a number of jpegs onto a CDRW cd using Windows
    > Explorer on a laptop with Windows XP. Then I transferred the cd to a
    > PC running Windows 98 and tried to add another folder with more
    > jpegs. It won't work, I get the error message "error copying file,
    > cannot create or replace ...... access denied, make sure disk is not
    > full or write protected and file is not currently in use". Then, when
    > I put the cd back into he laptop, it does'nt work there either! Any
    > ideas?

    The general rule is that CD-RW discs are not suitable for transfer between
    PC's.

    If you want to do that, just burn a standard CD-R with the files you need.
    You may or may not need to finalise the CD in that case, but you will at
    least have to finalise the session.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Oct 25, 2003
  5. martin

    martin Guest

    OK, this is what I have just tried. It's all a bit confusing and I can't
    make sense of the manuals (help tab).
    1. Put blank unused cd-r in drive of laptop (win xp) .
    2. Clicked on a folder with some jpegs in it.
    3. Clicked "copy to folder" in the Picture tasks.
    4. Clicked "write these files to cd"
    5. Using "copy" and "paste" I also saved a Word file.
    6. CD eventually popped out after the files had been copied.

    1. Put cd in cd writer of the PC (WINDS 98) and could view my files.
    2.Went to Roxio "Drag to disc" and tried to add some more jpegs. The
    graphic cd on the screen kept revolving but nothing actually happened on the
    cd writer. "Copy" and "paste" did'nt help.
    3. Open the Word file and modified it. Then tried "save as" but got various
    error messages, advsing me to such the door or check that the cd/file are
    ok.

    martin, Oct 26, 2003
  6. martin

    Stevo Guest

    martin wrote:
    > OK, this is what I have just tried. It's all a bit confusing and I
    > can't make sense of the manuals (help tab).
    > 1. Put blank unused cd-r in drive of laptop (win xp) .
    > 2. Clicked on a folder with some jpegs in it.
    > 3. Clicked "copy to folder" in the Picture tasks.
    > 4. Clicked "write these files to cd"
    > 5. Using "copy" and "paste" I also saved a Word file.
    > 6. CD eventually popped out after the files had been copied.
    >
    > 1. Put cd in cd writer of the PC (WINDS 98) and could view my files.
    > 2.Went to Roxio "Drag to disc" and tried to add some more jpegs.
    > The graphic cd on the screen kept revolving but nothing actually
    > happened on the cd writer. "Copy" and "paste" did'nt help.
    > 3. Open the Word file and modified it. Then tried "save as" but got
    > various error messages, advsing me to such the door or check that the
    > cd/file are ok.
    >

    > Stevo <> wrote in message
    >> martin wrote:
    >>> I have copied a number of jpegs onto a CDRW cd using Windows
    >>> Explorer on a laptop with Windows XP. Then I transferred the cd to
    >>> a PC running Windows 98 and tried to add another folder with more
    >>> jpegs. It won't work, I get the error message "error copying file,
    >>> cannot create or replace ...... access denied, make sure disk is
    >>> not full or write protected and file is not currently in use".
    >>> Then, when
    >>> I put the cd back into he laptop, it does'nt work there either! Any
    >>> ideas?

    <snip>

    You should be able to copy more files to the CD-R in Windows XP, *BUT* the
    folders and filenames cannot be identical. In my limited experience with the
    XP CD writing utility, it finalises the session but not the disc.

    Not sure what you mean by the 'drag to disc' option but suspect it is
    'Direct CD' the UDF packet writing application for CD-RW's and you cannot
    use that for CD-R's.

    Open Roxio Easy CD Creator and drag the files you want from the top pane to
    the bottom one and click on the red record button. See if that works for
    adding files to the CD.

    You cannot open a file off the CD-R for editing and then save it back..
    CD-R's are read only. You would have to save it to the hard disk (use a
    *different* filename) and then copy it to the CD as you did in the first
    instance.

    Stevo, Oct 26, 2003
  7. martin

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Stevo mused:

    | The general rule is that CD-RW discs are not suitable for transfer between
    | PC's.

    Who wrote that rule? I do it all the time. Saves wasting multiple CDRs
    for 100 MB files ... that you don't need to keep for any other reason.
    mhicaoidh, Oct 26, 2003
  8. martin

    martin Guest

    Great, using Easy CD Creatot on the PC allows me to save files ok and these
    files can be open on the laptop (winxp) too.

    Thanks

    martin, Oct 26, 2003
  9. martin

    Rustiferion Guest

    "Budweiser" <> wrote in message
    > i may be stating the obvious---do you actually have a cd writer drive in
    > either machine?
    > i was not aware (please correct me) that you could burn a cd using

    explorer
    > other than that here is a good place to start
    > http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/38/index4a.html?tw=multimedia
    > hth
    > budweiser

    Sorry, jumping in on this kind of late, but...

    XP does have a rudimentary CD burner (provided by Roxio, it turns out) that
    will allow you to save files to a CD-R directly from an app. Unfortunately,
    at least on my machine, it has a serious flaw:

    If you use a command such as "Save File As..." to direct the file to your
    CD, it goes instead to a queue file, until it transfers the whole session in
    one go. Trouble is, at the end of the session it closes out the CD without
    confirming that that's what you want to do - the CD is now "full" and no
    longer writable. This is an incredibly stupid and wasteful "feature" of what
    should have been a hugely useful plugin.

    First check out that your W98 machine can at least *read* the CD. If it
    can, it just means the disc has been finalized or closed.

    The solution is to use a dedicated burning program like ROM Burning or
    EasyCD. Also, although I haven't tried it, either of those programs may be
    able to "unlock" the write capability of the disk.

    ~RL
    Rustiferion, Oct 26, 2003