File System unknown

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tony, May 20, 2007.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I do a lot of data recovery from hard drives that seem to have bitten the dust. Usually, a drive
    that can no longer boot to windows and XP setup (recovery console) sees no drive can still be
    saved. I have had about a 95% success rate.

    I remove the drive and install it into another computer. Disk Management sees the drive and
    sometimes there is a drive letter but usally, the file system is unknown. In other words, it sees
    the drive, knows it's size, has a letter but it does not know if it is formatted ntfs or fat32.

    My usual method is to format the drive and use my choice of data recovery software to get the data
    back (and almost always works). The downside is that sometimes, it renames the files Recovered File
    01, Recovered File 02, Recovered File 03, etc. Most customers do not care about that since they just
    got their precious lost data back.

    Is there another way to solve this problem by letting XP know that the drive is formatted already. I
    was in the middle of doing a recovery the other day and a few minutes in, it said that a file could
    not be accessed. When I tried to click on the drive, it was no longer accessible (corrupt or
    damaged). Again, I can do it my way and format the drive but I want to avoid the renamed files. Is
    the MBR damaged? What causes Windows to all of a sudden, not know the file system of a drive?

    Tony

    Tony, May 20, 2007

  2. Tony

    Adam Leinss Guest

    Tony < > wrote in

    > Is there another way to solve this problem by letting XP know that
    > the drive is formatted already. I was in the middle of doing a
    > recovery the other day and a few minutes in, it said that a file
    > could not be accessed. When I tried to click on the drive, it was
    > no longer accessible (corrupt or damaged). Again, I can do it my
    > way and format the drive but I want to avoid the renamed files. Is
    > the MBR damaged? What causes Windows to all of a sudden, not know
    > the file system of a drive?

    We have a lot of remote laptop users, so I'll share some of my
    thoughts.

    I usually use BartPE to look at the drive. Sometimes the data is
    there, sometimes it's not. I generally do not move the drive to
    another system to minimize any "stresses" on it.

    Sometimes I can copy the data from BartPE to the network, other times I
    have to use GetDataBack. GetDataBack actually recontructs the file
    system itself, so there's no need to format the disk.

    My success is also good, but we had two uses with head crashes and we
    had to send those to Ontrack. Even then, only about 33% of the data
    was recovered.

    Adam
    --
    Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

    Adam Leinss, May 21, 2007

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks for the reply Adam. I have been using Recover My Files. I havent tried GetDataBack. I will
    try Should I assume that it is included in BartPE?

    Unfortunately, the drive I was trying to recover (with the unknown file system) went completely
    dead. No spin. Nothing. I was able to get about 300MB before it died but there is a chance the IC
    board shorted out or something. It was inside of a usb enclosure so it did not make any contact and
    no part of the drive was exposed, so it may have just been the last straw for the drive.

    Tony

    Tony, May 24, 2007
  4. Tony

    Adam Leinss Guest

    Tony < > wrote in

    > Thanks for the reply Adam. I have been using Recover My Files. I
    > havent tried GetDataBack. I will try Should I assume that it is
    > included in BartPE?

    I run it within BartPE, but it does not come with BartPE. There is a
    demo copy that you can try out at www.runtime.org. It will allow you
    recover small files in the demo version.

    Adam
    --
    Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

    Adam Leinss, May 27, 2007
  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 15:47:41 GMT, Adam Leinss <> wrote:

    >Tony < > wrote in
    >
    >> Thanks for the reply Adam. I have been using Recover My Files. I
    >> havent tried GetDataBack. I will try Should I assume that it is
    >> included in BartPE?

    >I run it within BartPE, but it does not come with BartPE. There is a
    >demo copy that you can try out at www.runtime.org. It will allow you
    >recover small files in the demo version.
    >
    >Adam

    So, what do you do? Boot into BartsPE on one cd rom drive and then have GetbackData.exe on another?

    Tony

    Tony, May 29, 2007
  6. Tony

    Adam Leinss Guest

    Tony < > wrote in

    > So, what do you do? Boot into BartsPE on one cd rom drive and then
    > have GetbackData.exe on another?
    >
    > Tony

    I actually burned it to the CD running BartPE.

    --
    Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

    Adam Leinss, May 29, 2007
  7. Tony

    Joep Guest

    "Tony" < > schreef in bericht

    > I remove the drive and install it into another computer.

    Which is a good idea. Preferably recover the data on a machine you know to
    be good.

    > Disk Management sees the drive and
    > sometimes there is a drive letter but usally, the file system is unknown.
    > In other words, it sees
    > the drive, knows it's size, has a letter but it does not know if it is
    > formatted ntfs or fat32.
    >
    > My usual method is to format the drive and use my choice of data recovery
    > software to get the data
    > back (and almost always works).

    That's not too smart, the reformatting I mean. Any good data recovery
    software should be able to 'guess' the actual file system even when the boot
    sector can not be relied on.

    > The downside is that sometimes, it renames the files Recovered File
    > 01, Recovered File 02, Recovered File 03, etc. Most customers do not care
    > about that since they just
    > got their precious lost data back ...

    .... And have a lot of time on their hands to go through 100's of files and
    rename them?

    Appearantly your software then ran in RAW mode: Rather than relying on 'file
    system structures' it relies on 'internal file structures': It can determine
    file type but not actual filenames because those are stored in the file
    system.

    > Is there another way to solve this problem by letting XP know that the
    > drive is formatted already. I
    > was in the middle of doing a recovery the other day and a few minutes in,
    > it said that a file could
    > not be accessed. When I tried to click on the drive, it was no longer
    > accessible (corrupt or
    > damaged).

    Often this type of thing is boot-sector related, and again often, this can
    be fixed 'in-place'.

    Example NTFS boot sector repair:
    http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_ntfsbsrepair.htm

    Example FAT(32) boot sector repair:
    http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_fatbsrepair.htm

    Specially for the A+ techs in this group: Coupon for 10% discount on
    DiskPatch Pro: DIYD-CJFC-CP. See more DiskPatch examples at:
    http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guides_main.htm

    > Again, I can do it my way and format the drive but I want to avoid the
    > renamed files. Is
    > the MBR damaged?

    Prolly not no, but theoretically partition table could be pointing to wrong
    LBA address. Windows will interpret sector pointed to as a boot sector, and
    if it can't will tell you that the drive isn't formatted.
    In this case you can rebuild the partition table.

    Example partition table repair / partition recovery:
    http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_ptrepair.htm

    > What causes Windows to all of a sudden, not know the file system of a
    > drive?

    Buggy software, bad cables, bad memory, no support for large disks (48 bit
    LBA addressing), can be a lot of things.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Joep - DIY DataRecovery.nl

    http://www.diydatarecovery.nl

    Important: When replying to this mail, please include previous
    correspondence!

    Joep, May 30, 2007
  8. Tony

    Joep Guest

    "Adam Leinss" <> schreef in bericht
    > Tony < > wrote in
    >

    > We have a lot of remote laptop users, so I'll share some of my
    > thoughts.
    >
    > I usually use BartPE to look at the drive. Sometimes the data is
    > there, sometimes it's not. I generally do not move the drive to
    > another system to minimize any "stresses" on it.

    A disk handles with care does not cause stress. Although leaving the disk in
    original machine can have advantages and may be an only option, in a
    professional situation there are also good arguments for moving the disk to
    a known-to-be-good machine.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Joep - DIY DataRecovery.nl