    stuff? Or will the exam really ask questions about the details of row
    pointers being at the end of pages and the like?

    Dale

    Dale, Jul 22, 2004

  2. >I'm studying for 70-229 next. Thomas Moore's book, in chapter 2, spends a
    >lot of time talking about extents, internal file structures, page types, and
    >things like GAM, SGAM, PFS, etc.
    >
    >My question is, is this stuff to know for understanding.. i.e, conceptual
    >stuff? Or will the exam really ask questions about the details of row
    >pointers being at the end of pages and the like?

    Without breaking the NDA, I can say you will not be tested on topics
    that low level.

    In the older exams, you were expected to be able to understand how the
    sizing of database structures effect the size of pages etc and be able
    to calculate those sizes.

    You will however be expected to understand the consequences of curtain
    choices you make which affect the physical design, such as the
    structure, type and placement of indexes (especially how this effects
    query optimization)), file & file group placement,

    I can't remember if it was 229 or 228, which requires you to have good
    understanding of dbcc commands, for which you do have to have some
    idea about what is being reported back to you.

    I've not seen the book you mention, but if it's as good as Kalen
    Deanley's book, you will certainly learn a lot which will be of great
    value later on, even in future releases of the product.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Dale

    Dale Guest

    Thanks. I know I didn't get that detailed of questions on 70-028 or 029 for
    SQL Server 7.

    Dale

    Dale, Jul 23, 2004