  1. Rifleman

    Rifleman Guest

    What is the difference between "File Size" and "Size on Disk"?
    Rifleman, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Rifleman

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:19:28 -0000, Rifleman wrote:

    >What is the difference between "File Size" and "Size on Disk"?

    This would be a Microsoft NT class OS?

    Maybe on a NTFS partition?

    Maybe a file with the compressed attribute set?

    Maybe it's the actual file size and the stored physical (compressed)
    size on disk.

    Me
    why?, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Rifleman

    Rifleman Guest

    > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:19:28 -0000, Rifleman wrote:
    >
    > >What is the difference between "File Size" and "Size on Disk"?

    > This would be a Microsoft NT class OS?
    >
    > Maybe on a NTFS partition?
    >
    > Maybe a file with the compressed attribute set?
    >
    > Maybe it's the actual file size and the stored physical (compressed)
    > size on disk.
    >
    > Me

    certainly NTFS, but not compressed....it seems to be random, some files (I'm
    looking in My Documents) the File size is equal to the Size on Disk, some
    files the two are not equal... weird....
    Rifleman, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Rifleman

    ICee Guest

    Rifleman wrote:
    > What is the difference between "File Size" and "Size on Disk"?

    Size on disk is the actual disk space used in increments of whatever the
    cluster size is.
    File size is the actual size of the file.
    If you have a 1KB file and store it on a disk with 16 KB clusters, that
    file will take up 16 KB of disk space.
    ICee, Feb 18, 2004
  5. Rifleman

    Rifleman Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Rifleman wrote:
    > > What is the difference between "File Size" and "Size on Disk"?

    > Size on disk is the actual disk space used in increments of whatever the
    > cluster size is.
    > File size is the actual size of the file.
    > If you have a 1KB file and store it on a disk with 16 KB clusters, that
    > file will take up 16 KB of disk space.

    Ahhh - thanks......
    Rifleman, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Rifleman

    ICee Guest

    Rifleman wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Rifleman wrote:
    >>> What is the difference between "File Size" and "Size on Disk"?

    >> Size on disk is the actual disk space used in increments of whatever
    >> the cluster size is.
    >> File size is the actual size of the file.
    >> If you have a 1KB file and store it on a disk with 16 KB clusters,
    >> that file will take up 16 KB of disk space.
    >>

    > Ahhh - thanks......

    You're welcome.
    ICee, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Rifleman wrote:

    > What is the difference between "File Size" and "Size on Disk"?

    File Size = the actual number of bits / bytes / kilobytes the file truly
    takes up

    Size On Disk = The amount of space (blocks) the drive needs to store the
    file (This varies on your format scheme - FAT / FAT32 / NTFS / HFF / FF
    all have different size blocks for files to be stored in)

    The closer the Size On Disk is to the File Size, theoretically, the more
    efficient the format is being for you.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Feb 18, 2004