File sizes have increased

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Monica, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. Monica

    Monica Guest

    I'm not holding my breath for an answer to this one but I'll live longer if
    I can stop obsessing over WHY it's happening. I first noticed a few months
    ago, that when I sent attached (or embedded) photos to a Digicam Yahoo list
    I belong to, that the total file size was much larger than the picture I
    attached. A text message of, say, 4 or 5 lines might have a total file size
    of maybe 3kb. Add a 100kb photo to that and the total file size increase
    by about 100kb. The last several months, sending a 100kb file can wind up
    being a total file size of 140ish or more. For instance, I sent a picture
    with a file size of 152. The total file size in my Sent folder was 212.
    The total file size that was posted to the Digicam Yahoo list was 216.
    WHAT'S happening here? That's a difference of 64kb. That is way WAY more
    than the little Yahoo advertisement and 5 words of text make up. And the
    size difference can be almost double. Thought it was a Yahoo thing but I
    tested this by sending myself the same picture and it sent and arrived much
    larger. Others that frequently send and receive picture files have noticed
    the same thing. As a test, I just sent myself a 167kb TEXT file. It's in
    the outbox as 172kb....understandable and it was delivered at 173....again,
    understandable. What I DON'T understand is the change. What happened and
    why are total file sizes so drastically increased over the size of the
    picture being sent.
    Monica

    Monica, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Monica wrote:
    > I'm not holding my breath

    Pity. How do you feel about holding your **** flaps open for the genral
    public?

    Monica, the fluorescent, goring fermentation bucke, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Monica

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Monica" <> wrote in

    > the same thing. As a test, I just sent myself a 167kb TEXT file.
    > It's in the outbox as 172kb....understandable and it was delivered at
    > 173....again, understandable. What I DON'T understand is the change.
    > What happened and why are total file sizes so drastically increased
    > over the size of the picture being sent.

    Normally, sending anything other than plain text via email results in sizes
    increasing on average 33% for encoding overhead.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 27, 2004