    but shared folders on the wired computer do not appear in Network on the
    wireless and cannot be added. What should I be checking?

    TIA for any help.

    Cipher, Jan 13, 2007

  2. Hi
    Sharing is the same regardless of Wire or Wireless look carefully at all the
    settings.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 13, 2007

  3. Cipher

    Malke Guest

    Cipher wrote:

    > Linksys WRT54G connects two computers.
    > One computer with XP Home/SP2 is wired.
    > Other computer with XP Media Center is wireless.
    > Internet sharing no problem.
    > Shared folders appear in Network Places on their respective computers.
    > Shared folders on the wireless appear in Network on the wired computer,
    > but shared folders on the wired computer do not appear in Network on the
    > wireless and cannot be added. What should I be checking?

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the Network
    Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File & Printer
    Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2
    Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an
    antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts
    as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall software,
    configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually
    do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
    File Sharing enabled.

    Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
    anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
    This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
    situation.

    home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share folders
    inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
    Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
    MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
    pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Jan 13, 2007
  4. Cipher

    Cipher Guest

    Great reply. All works perfectly now.
    Carl

    Cipher, Jan 14, 2007
  5. Cipher

    Malke Guest

    Cipher wrote:

    > Great reply. All works perfectly now.
    > Carl

    Excellent! I'm so glad you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let
    me know.

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 14, 2007