File Sharing ?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Leanin' Cedar, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. WinXP home SP2 laptop and desktop.

    Linksys WRT54GC router(connected to desktop with ethernet) and an apple
    airport express in the living room.

    I have file sharing enabled at home over the LAN on both computers.

    I have Apple ITunes on the laptop and use the airport express to play them
    on my home theater and to extend the range of my wireless network. The
    airport express is not on a separate network but was configured to be part
    of my LAN.

    If I turn off file sharing on my laptop (local area connection and uncheck
    file and printer sharing) I get an error msg. when I try to share a file on
    the laptop from the desktop "not accessible" which I understand.

    However I can still share the ITunes over the LAN from the laptop to the
    desktop.

    Posted in the apple ITunes for Windows group, and no help there.

    Are my files on my laptop really "not accessible" when away from home on a
    wireless network? I do not have any problem with sharing the ITunes however.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Bob

    Leanin' Cedar, Sep 10, 2006

  2. YOu will need to install the Apple Talk protocol on the non-Apple machine to
    get this done.
    --
    MCP (2K) Net+, A+
    Server-Networking MVP

    =?Utf-8?B?am13aWxscw==?=, Sep 11, 2006

  3. "jmwills" <> wrote in message
    > YOu will need to install the Apple Talk protocol on the non-Apple machine
    > get this done.
    > --
    > MCP (2K) Net+, A+
    > Server-Networking MVP

    Maybe I confused the issue. I can share ITunes from my PC laptop with my PC
    desktop, even with file sharing turned off on the laptop(where the ITunes
    are located). the desktop still sees ITunes even though I can not share any
    other files on the laptop

    I was concerned about security issues on my laptop with file and print
    sharing turned off and still sharing the ITunes over my LAN on the desktop.
    Even though I can not access any other shared files on the laptop I was
    concerned about the security of files on my laptop when at work.

    I have no problem with being able to share "ITunes only" while at work, but
    want to make certain no one has access to any other files.

    Bob

    Leanin' Cedar, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Misread the issue. Remove the permissions that allow access to those
    files/directories. Domain or Workgroup? If Domain, your Sys Admin is always
    going to have access to everything.
    If you want to really deny access to those files then turn off File & Print
    Sharing while at work or travelling.
    --
    MCP (2K) Net+, A+
    Server-Networking MVP