File Sharing XP Pro

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Star@*.*, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. Star@*.*

    Star@*.* Guest

    Strange problem??
    Two computers on local network both XPPro+SP2
    Computer (1) 3 HDDs,
    HDD1 (IDE) Partitions C:=OS, D:=Data, E:=Install/Update F:=Shared Files.
    HDD2 (SATA) Partition G:=Video
    HDD3 (SATA) Partition H:=Music
    Computer (2) 1 HDD
    Partitions C:=OS, D:=Data, E:=Install/Update, F:=Shared Files
    Using simple file sharing.
    Computer (1) can see and access all shared Folders/Files on Computer 2.
    Computer (2) can see and access all shared Folders/Files on Computer 1
    with the exception of any shared Folder/Files on Computer 1 F:partition.

    If I copy the folder to another partition or open up a new share on any
    other partition the contents of the folder are available.
    Looked at everything and all looks ok. Even tried deleting the partition
    and recreating it and made no difference.
    The problem is related to this partition only as I have created new
    shared folders on this partition and they show up as shared and in my
    network places but am still unable to access the folder/files.

    Error message
    \\XPTEST\DedupedFiles is not accessible You might not have permission
    to use this network resource, Contact the administrator of this server
    to fing out if you have access rights.

    Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

    Star@*.*, Sep 16, 2005

  2. this sounds really stupid but it works.
    After you share the folders, you need to first enable simple file
    sharing(tools->folder options->Offline files).

    For me to get it to work in a workgroup setting, i also had to drop a
    shortcut to the folders in the "offline files folder" which will appear
    in My Computer if simple file sharing is enabled.

    Brett Michaels From Poison, Sep 16, 2005

  3. Brett Michaels From Poison wrote:
    > this sounds really stupid but it works.
    > After you share the folders, you need to first enable simple file
    > sharing(tools->folder options->Offline files).
    >
    > For me to get it to work in a workgroup setting, i also had to drop a
    > shortcut to the folders in the "offline files folder" which will appear
    > in My Computer if simple file sharing is enabled.

    and if its not in my computer you can make it show on your desktop via
    checkbox in tools->folder options->Offline files

    Brett Michaels From Poison, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Star@*.*

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:55:04 GMT, Star@*.* wrote:

    star a star , lensman?

    >Strange problem??
    >Two computers on local network both XPPro+SP2

    <long story snipped>

    >Error message
    > \\XPTEST\DedupedFiles is not accessible You might not have permission
    >to use this network resource, Contact the administrator of this server
    >to fing out if you have access rights.
    >
    >Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

    That's your big clue(s) the error text, add the 2nd part of the message
    to 'XP file share' and www.google.com

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 416,000 English pages for

    xp file share Not enough server storage is available to process this
    command

    ..(0.26 seconds)

    The 1st hit contains the message you have, both parts.

    Me

    why?, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Star@*.*

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Star@*.* wrote in news::

    > Strange problem??
    > Two computers on local network both XPPro+SP2
    > Computer (1) 3 HDDs,
    > HDD1 (IDE) Partitions C:=OS, D:=Data, E:=Install/Update F:=Shared

    Files.
    > HDD2 (SATA) Partition G:=Video
    > HDD3 (SATA) Partition H:=Music
    > Computer (2) 1 HDD
    > Partitions C:=OS, D:=Data, E:=Install/Update, F:=Shared Files
    > Using simple file sharing.
    > Computer (1) can see and access all shared Folders/Files on Computer 2.
    > Computer (2) can see and access all shared Folders/Files on Computer 1
    > with the exception of any shared Folder/Files on Computer 1

    F:partition.

    > If I copy the folder to another partition or open up a new share on any
    > other partition the contents of the folder are available.
    > Looked at everything and all looks ok. Even tried deleting the

    partition
    > and recreating it and made no difference.
    > The problem is related to this partition only as I have created new
    > shared folders on this partition and they show up as shared and in my
    > network places but am still unable to access the folder/files.
    >
    > Error message
    > \\XPTEST\DedupedFiles is not accessible You might not have permission
    > to use this network resource, Contact the administrator of this server
    > to fing out if you have access rights.
    >
    > Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

    You should disable Simple File Sharing on XP pro. *WHY* telling you
    correct and it's also possible that you don't have the proper user
    permissions on the share. With Simple File Sharing disabled on XP Pro,
    you can go look at the Sharing by right clicking the Share and going to
    Sharing & Security and look at the *permission* on the share. I was
    getting that access denied message, because the Everyone account was
    overriding permissions on the Share and it didn't have the permissions.

    The link talks about Everyone and Authenticated user Groups on shares.

    Duane :)

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    Duane Arnold, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Yeah..actually simple file sharing is insecure but for a home
    environment with low criticality of data and behind a firewall, it's
    OK to use.

    If youre running winXP home systems you have no choice to use this.
    Most people call NOT IT to pay MS 200 for pro just for their home PCs

    Brett Michaels From Poison, Sep 16, 2005
  7. Star@*.*

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Brett Michaels From Poison" <> wrote in

    > Yeah..actually simple file sharing is insecure but for a home
    > environment with low criticality of data and behind a firewall, it's
    > OK to use.

    I never said it wasn't.

    > If youre running winXP home systems you have no choice to use this.
    > Most people call NOT IT to pay MS 200 for pro just for their home PCs

    I believe the OP is using XP Pro and it all depends on the home user's
    NEEDS whether or not one uses XP Pro or Home. One gets what one pays for as
    the old saying goes. I have no need for XP Home as it doesn't meet my
    requirements and it may not meet other home users requirements either, such
    as no IIS and 5 concurrent connects limitations to the machine.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 16, 2005
  8. You're exactly right Duane.
    Speaking of flavors of windows, i'm reading that Vista is going to have
    at least five different versions with more differences than WinXp's
    differences. It's going to suck to have to shell out even more to get
    steps of functionality..but such is life in Redmond.

    Brett Michaels From Poison, Sep 16, 2005
  9. Star@*.*

    > You're exactly right Duane.
    > Speaking of flavors of windows, i'm reading that Vista is going to have
    > at least five different versions with more differences than WinXp's
    > differences. It's going to suck to have to shell out even more to get
    > steps of functionality..but such is life in Redmond.

    I also use Linux. MS is my money maker and I have to keep pace. But there
    is nothing stopping me from using Suse Linux and there needs to be more
    competition to help drive MS cost down and keep them in check, for what
    it's wroth. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 16, 2005
  10. Star@*.*

    why? Guest

    On 16 Sep 2005 10:58:55 -0700, Brett Michaels From Poison wrote:

    >You're exactly right Duane.
    >Speaking of flavors of windows, i'm reading that Vista is going to have

    I wonder which one I have? It arrived yesterday and I haven't opened it.
    I guess it's Beta 1, I hope there is a 64bit version.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 16, 2005
  11. Star@*.*

    Star@*.* Guest

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:41:06 GMT, why?

    >On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:55:04 GMT, Star@*.* wrote:
    >
    >star a star , lensman?
    >
    >>Strange problem??
    >>Two computers on local network both XPPro+SP2

    ><long story snipped>
    >
    >>Error message
    >> \\XPTEST\DedupedFiles is not accessible You might not have permission
    >>to use this network resource, Contact the administrator of this server
    >>to fing out if you have access rights.
    >>
    >>Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

    >That's your big clue(s) the error text, add the 2nd part of the message
    >to 'XP file share' and www.google.com
    >

    >Web Results 1 - 10 of about 416,000 English pages for
    >
    >xp file share Not enough server storage is available to process this
    >command
    >
    >.(0.26 seconds)
    >
    >The 1st hit contains the message you have, both parts.
    >
    >Me

    Thanks but had already tried the google route and looked at a dozen or
    so of the cases, register changes and the MS inspired change. Tried a
    couple of them before I posted to no avail. The one I didn't try and
    probably will not is reinstall SP2. The XP CD is a SP2 CD and just don't
    feel like installing the SP2 and the 32 other updates.
    Just make no sense to me that it is only one partition with the problem.
    All other partitions work AOK.

    Star@*.*, Sep 17, 2005
  12. Star@*.*

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:02:02 GMT, Star@*.* wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:41:06 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:55:04 GMT, Star@*.* wrote:
    >>
    >>star a star , lensman?
    >>
    >>>Strange problem??
    >>>Two computers on local network both XPPro+SP2

    >><long story snipped>
    >>
    >>>Error message
    >>> \\XPTEST\DedupedFiles is not accessible You might not have permission
    >>>to use this network resource, Contact the administrator of this server
    >>>to fing out if you have access rights.
    >>>
    >>>Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

    >>That's your big clue(s) the error text, add the 2nd part of the message
    >>to 'XP file share' and www.google.com
    >>

    >>Web Results 1 - 10 of about 416,000 English pages for
    >>
    >>xp file share Not enough server storage is available to process this
    >>command
    >>
    >>.(0.26 seconds)
    >>
    >>The 1st hit contains the message you have, both parts.
    >>
    >>Me

    >Thanks but had already tried the google route and looked at a dozen or
    >so of the cases, register changes and the MS inspired change. Tried a

    It helps to say that the 1st time.

    Admin - Admin accounts?

    So the event log ID and message are?

    The pagedpoolsize?

    >couple of them before I posted to no avail. The one I didn't try and
    >probably will not is reinstall SP2. The XP CD is a SP2 CD and just don't

    The message is related often to a driver issue. It happenes on NT4 / Win
    2000 with network card drivers and others after reapplying a SP over a
    newer 3rd party driver, which needs reinstalled after.

    >feel like installing the SP2 and the 32 other updates.

    I save the updates locally, create a batch file with as many silent /
    don't reboot switches as possible. After a clean install it takes only
    minutes to do the updates.

    >Just make no sense to me that it is only one partition with the problem.
    >All other partitions work AOK.

    It's the addition of more data / additional share / available resources
    maybe?

    Me

    why?, Sep 17, 2005