    Now what?

    Thanks for reading and hopefully replying,
    drybones
    drybones, May 3, 2006

  2. drybones

    Newport Guest

    Can you tell us what OS in the pc's?

    --

    Newport, May 3, 2006

  3. drybones

    Malke Guest

    drybones wrote:

    > Wireless systerm setup between two Dell computers via a Linksys
    > wireless router.
    > I can see files in old Dell but can not access them.
    > I did setup file and printer sharing.
    > Now what?
    >
    > Thanks for reading and hopefully replying,
    > drybones

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, May 3, 2006
  4. drybones

    drybones Guest

    WinXP Home with SP2 on both Dell machines
    Get the popup about "apparently you have no permission, etc..

    drybones, May 3, 2006
  5. drybones

    drybones Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > drybones wrote:
    >
    >> Wireless systerm setup between two Dell computers via a Linksys
    >> wireless router.
    >> I can see files in old Dell but can not access them.
    >> I did setup file and printer sharing.
    >> Now what?
    >>
    >> Thanks for reading and hopefully replying,
    >> drybones

    > This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    > Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
    > Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    > on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    > firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    > Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    > third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    > Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    > IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    > substitute your correct subnet.
    >
    > Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    > home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
    > folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
    > Shared Documents folder.
    >
    > If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    > troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    > and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    > http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thanks for reply.

    Firewall? Both machines haveWinXP with SP2 one machine (old Dell) has Norton
    Anti-Virus 2003 and new one came with Trend Micro PC-cillin.

    Do not really understand this firewall if any as I have not to my knowledge
    setup one.

    I do get the popup about "apparently you have no permission, etc..
    drybones
    drybones, May 3, 2006
  6. drybones

    Malke Guest

    drybones wrote:

    > Thanks for reply.
    >
    > Firewall? Both machines haveWinXP with SP2 one machine (old Dell) has
    > Norton Anti-Virus 2003 and new one came with Trend Micro PC-cillin.
    >
    > Do not really understand this firewall if any as I have not to my
    > knowledge setup one.
    >
    > I do get the popup about "apparently you have no permission, etc..
    > drybones

    OK, I'm betting you do have two firewalls running on the new machine or
    you don't have the PC-cillin configured correctly. As I said in the
    Firewall which is automatically enabled. While your older Norton 2003*
    doesn't have a firewall component, PC-cillin may. You will need to open
    up PC-cillin and look at all its features and possibly read its Help
    File. If it has something like "Personal Firewall" or "Internet Worm
    Protection" then it has a firewall. If that firewall is on (and I'm
    sure it would be automatically enabled when the program was installed)
    and the Windows Firewall is on, file-sharing can be blocked.

    Also, if PC-cillin has a firewall component and you ran the Network
    Setup Wizard, as I said in my previously post the Wizard will enable
    the Windows Firewall and you will have two firewalls running.

    Additionally, even if PC-cillin is smart and turned off the Windows
    Firewall (which newer versions of Norton and McAfee do), file-sharing
    may not be enabled in PC-cillin. You're just going to have to look.

    If you can't figure it out, have a professional come on-site and fix
    things for you. There is no shame in doing this; I don't hesitate to
    call a plumber when the sink leaks.

    Malke
    Malke, May 3, 2006
  7. drybones

    Malke Guest

    Malke wrote:

    > OK, I'm betting you do have two firewalls running on the new machine
    > or you don't have the PC-cillin configured correctly. As I said in the
    > Firewall which is automatically enabled. While your older Norton 2003*
    > doesn't have a firewall component, PC-cillin may. You will need to
    > Malke

    Sorry for the double post, but I see that I put an asterisk next to
    "Norton 2003*" and then never put in the footnote. I wanted to remind
    you that you shouldn't just renew NAV 2003 when your subscription
    expires. That program is obsolete now and you should replace it with a
    current version antivirus. I personally don't recommend Norton or
    McAfee products, but naturally the choice is yours. I've heard good
    things about Kaspersky and NOD32. I use F-Prot on my Windows machines.

    Whatever you choose, uninstall NAV 2003 first.

    Malke
    Malke, May 3, 2006
  8. drybones

    drybones Guest

    <sigh> once again. The 77 year old brain cells are lost. Will have to have a
    professional come on-site and fixthings for me. That is if I can find onewho
    does not require a large invenstment.
    drybones

    drybones, May 4, 2006
  9. drybones

    Malke Guest

    drybones wrote:

    > <sigh> once again. The 77 year old brain cells are lost. Will have to
    > have a professional come on-site and fixthings for me. That is if I
    > can find onewho does not require a large invenstment.

    That's probably the best solution. I don't think it has anything to do
    with your age. :) We all have our areas of expertise. As I often say
    to people, I don't hesitate to call a plumber when the sink is leaking.
    I don't know where you live, but a simple on-site network setup here
    (Fresno, California, USA) would cost $60-120USD.

    Malke
    Malke, May 4, 2006
  10. "drybones" wrote:

    > Wireless systerm setup between two Dell computers via a Linksys wireless
    > router.
    > I can see files in old Dell but can not access them.
    > I did setup file and printer sharing.
    > Now what?
    >
    > Thanks for reading and hopefully replying,
    > drybones

    (if you havn't got it to work yet)
    there is a freeware program from globesoft called easy2share, perhaps that
    one could help you. www.globesoft.com
    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=, May 5, 2006
  11. drybones

    drybones Guest